4457 Question

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
On the 4457 form I obviously know I list my rifle and the serial number. I cannot remember, do I list the scope also? TIA.

I did, others don't

I do not. No issues

I’ve done it both ways. Firearms is all that’s really looked at.

I never have

I always put the scope on it, but I honestly do not think it matters.

The CBP agent told me once to put it on my 4457. Never seen it checked - but I'm in the "better safe than sorry" crowd - so I put it on there.

If the customs agent really wanted to push it they could ask you for a receipt for the scope if it isn't listed with the idea that you may of purchased it overseas.

Same with your cameras, other optics, computer, and other things that you may have with you.

If any doubts Google what the CBP Form 4457 is used for.

Maybe that is why I could not remember. I guess it does not matter. LOL.

Yeah I do remember that about the camera. I know I did not list that.

As I said, all it takes is for one agent to be having a bad day and to go through all your items that should be listed on one but aren't.

I have two. On with my rifle and scope and another listing a number of other things that I take with me out of the country.

Just got my 4457s done for April trip. I listed the scope and gun. Each gun on separate forms. They only verified gun serials before stamping. I also had a form for suppressor. They would not stamp it and approve until I showed them an ATF stamped approval form to take out of USA.

FYI for any of the guys in Houston area or south of Houston. Freeport CBP office is great to get your forms done at. No appointment. Just walk in and tell them what you need. They go out to your vehicle to verify.

Although I haven’t done so, there’s no reason not to. Better safe…..

Thats better service and experience than the Greenspoint office. They are good people and no problems, but curbside 4457 service sounds pretty sweet.
Just got my 4457s done for April trip. I listed the scope and gun. Each gun on separate forms. They only verified gun serials before stamping. I also had a form for suppressor. They would not stamp it and approve until I showed them an ATF stamped approval form to take out of USA.

FYI for any of the guys in Houston area or south of Houston. Freeport CBP office is great to get your forms done at. No appointment. Just walk in and tell them what you need. They go out to your vehicle to verify.

Thats better service and experience than the Greenspoint office. They are good people and no problems, but curbside 4457 service sounds pretty sweet.

That office is small in Freeport. Lobby has room for maybe 4 people. Last two years two officers just came out to truck, verified serials, went back in and stamped and signed. I will drive there from now on.

Reactions: RLL
On the 4457 form I obviously know I list my rifle and the serial number. I cannot remember, do I list the scope also? TIA.
It is not necessary to list anything but the rifle at this time for Africa. 4457 can be used for anything of value if you so choose. If you have specific insurance on your equipment it could be a good idea to list all the items. It would cause less confusion if you just out the rifle on one by itself.
You will want to list make, caliber, action, & serial number.

The agent that helped me fill mine out said that since my scope was an American made model it wasn't necessary, but we did it anyway. He knew right where to look and read it off to me while I wrote it down. Why not.

He said that there could be problems if you return to the US with a foreign made scope and its not on the form, something about avoiding duties if you purchased it in another country outside the US.

The agent also asked me what airport I'd be returning to in the US. I told him (Newark) and he said write it down for sure.

I list the rifle and accompanying scope on the same 4457 on separate lines with their corresponding SN's. I do a separate 4457 for each rifle. I put my binoculars on their own form.

CBP in New Haven CT has been great to deal with for the three times I've used them. They had their own opinions on whether or not i should have 6 copies of each 4457 for each rifle/scope combo, but made the multiples for me without much fuss. The officer last week told me there was no need for binoculars and seemed to think the 4457's were specific to regulated /ITAR items. In the end he signed the 2 copies I made for the binoculars. Classic situation of individual interpretations.....

I did verify with them that the AES system still remains not mandatory, we shall see what TSA things when we fly out of Newark the end of April....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you