4457 question

Got a question of my own. My first trip over is coming up in 3 months. Went and got my CBP forms filled out. I personally did separate ones for both my rifles/scopes and a separate one for my supressor. All done signed and dated. Went and get everything notarized as well. When I got the letter telling me what I need for SAPS paperwork from the Afton house it says I need a stamped 4457 copy. None of them were stamped from CBP. Spoke to a few guys and some had them stamped and some didn’t. Do I need to make the 2 hour trip back to CBP and have them stamped or? I looked at Rifle Permits paperwork and it says nothing about a stamped copy just a notarized copy. This is the stamp that Afton house said was needed. I did call CBP here and the head officer said he has done thousands and never stamped a 4457 form but he would do it if I brought them down. It’s the route I’ll probably take but a 4 hour round trip just sucks.

Thanks Roy

View attachment 512678
Image [redacted]

I just walked out of Reno CBP and had it done in less than 5. Nice guy.

Headed to Portland on Wednesday for work so I will have another done there

I just finished mine today. A very helpful customs officer at the regional airport a couple hours away.

I brought in my forms and filled them out in front of him with the pen he provided. He stamped, signed and filled out the unused area. We did one for my rifle & scope and a second for my binoculars. We included the serial number for all.

As for notarizing. I am a notary. To legally notarize a document you have to be there when the document is signed. A notary cannot notarize the custom's agents signature unless he was there with you. Felony.

The new ones don't have an expiration date, unlike the older ones. I can feel for those that have long trips to get them done and then have to deal with unnecessary BS. For me, great guys and a fifteen minute ride to their office. My biggest problem is getting out of there. I have to give a blow by blow of my last trip complete with photos and a complete description of my rifles' specs. I'm usually there for at least a half hour.

Cant wait to deal with this nonsense at DFW this week

DFW has been hit or miss for me… sometimes it’s a quick 10 minute in and out.. other times it’s been a 30 minute session in silliness until they sort themselves out…

Reactions: MTA
I just finished mine today. A very helpful customs officer at the regional airport a couple hours away.

I brought in my forms and filled them out in front of him with the pen he provided. He stamped, signed and filled out the unused area. We did one for my rifle & scope and a second for my binoculars. We included the serial number for all.

As for notarizing. I am a notary. To legally notarize a document you have to be there when the document is signed. A notary cannot notarize the custom's agents signature unless he was there with you. Felony.
I have the Notery at my bank notarize a couple of machine *copies* as true copies. Not the original.

DFW has been hit or miss for me… sometimes it’s a quick 10 minute in and out.. other times it’s been a 30 minute session in silliness until they sort themselves out…
I called last week to make sure I was looking at the right place. The lady on the phone seemed to know what she was talking about in regards to rifles & the process to get them on the 4457 so I am hoping for the best. I am thinking this thursday I will head down there. Still on for Rudys if youll be free sometime that day.

When I was in today to get my forms the agent was a hunter himself. He couldn't have been more helpful. Plus, the office was located in the airport that I'll be flying out of in March so I got to see where I'll be checking the rifle and ask some questions. Sioux Falls, SD is very hunter friendly.

When I was in today to get my forms the agent was a hunter himself. He couldn't have been more helpful. Plus, the office was located in the airport that I'll be flying out of in March so I got to see where I'll be checking the rifle and ask some questions. Sioux Falls, SD is very hunter friendly.
Stormy, what town do you live in? I am in Stickney and you are correct Sioux Falls Airport is a nice airport except when you fly out at 5:00 am like I will be doing in April for the East Cape, what color stamp did he use mine is done in RED

I called last week to make sure I was looking at the right place. The lady on the phone seemed to know what she was talking about in regards to rifles & the process to get them on the 4457 so I am hoping for the best. I am thinking this thursday I will head down there. Still on for Rudys if youll be free sometime that day.
Good morning MTA89.

My easiest trip to CBP in all my years doing it has been at the CBP office on Alliance Field just north of the Ft Worth Cabela's. Call ahead and the agent will ask you to call him back when you are there. He met me in the parking lot and did the process in a couple minutes. We spent more time talking hunting than the inspection. I had all my own forms ready.

Safe travels

Good morning MTA89.

My easiest trip to CBP in all my years doing it has been at the CBP office on Alliance Field just north of the Ft Worth Cabela's. Call ahead and the agent will ask you to call him back when you are there. He met me in the parking lot and did the process in a couple minutes. We spent more time talking hunting than the inspection. I had all my own forms ready.

Safe travels
That sounds like a good idea. Havent been over in that area in awhile. I didnt even think to see if they had an office there

Stormy, what town do you live in? I am in Stickney and you are correct Sioux Falls Airport is a nice airport except when you fly out at 5:00 am like I will be doing in April for the East Cape, what color stamp did he use mine is done in RED
I'm on a farm in Southwest MN about 90 miles from Sioux Falls. The agent used a red stamp. I used a blue pet he provided and he used a red pen to fill out the rest. He explained to me that the sole purpose of the 4457 is to prove to the customs agent when you return to the US that you owned these declared items in the US before you left and you are returning with them. You didn't buy them out of the country and are bringing them back without paying duty. He didn't know why anyone else would have a reason to see it. TSA and foreign countries have their own rules.

TSA doesn't have a thing to do with the 4457, I have been through a number of US airports with firearms and haven't been asked by a TSA agent a single time about it even when they are doing the inspections.

The only time that I have had to show it was upon returning to the US and going through US Customs.

I went to my local CBP office yesterday to get my 4457 signed. The guy in there had my add on to my form in blue ink after I filled it out in black will this be an issue having 2 different colors on it? I have both my rifle and scope listed on one form he also had me fill one out with just the scope on it. I may just be over worrying about things but I just want to make sure it is right.
He has no idea what he is doing. Maybe he is just trying to be helpful. The only place I know of where it is critical to put the scope on there is México. It will be fine.
I am going to do mine for this years safaris soon and have come to dread it!

That sounds like a good idea. Havent been over in that area in awhile. I didnt even think to see if they had an office there
The agent told me to call and coordinate to ensure they are not busy clearing an aircraft. I left a message one time, and the agent returned my call. Very user friendly and professional office.

Safe travels

I went to my local CBP office yesterday to get my 4457 signed. The guy in there had my add on to my form in blue ink after I filled it out in black will this be an issue having 2 different colors on it? I have both my rifle and scope listed on one form he also had me fill one out with just the scope on it. I may just be over worrying about things but I just want to make sure it is right.
Pro tip - make a couple copies of your 4457's - you can use copies in a pinch

Ill make the time..

give me a little heads up before you start heading this way... can shoot me a PM here or a text to the number in the sig block below..

brisket on Thursday sounds good :)

Good morning MTA89.

Safe travels

Ive thought about hitting the CBP office in the McKinney regional airport this year... I used them about 5 years ago and it was a freaking disater.. but I think that was largely due to the turd that called himself a CBP Officer that worked there..

He would only see you by appointment.. I had to call multiple times and leave VM's to get him to answer.. and then he scheduled my "appointment" for about a week out... Only to tell me when I arrived that he was too busy and I'd have to come back the next day...

Went back the next day.. and dealt with 15 minutes of theatrics while he told me how incredibly busy he is, etc.. (funny.. he was a 1 man show out there.. they get no international flights to speak of.. its a freaking regional airport that mostly caters to small private aircraft and MAYBE a couple of times a week some dude in a Gulfstream refuels there en route to somewhere else in the US from his Mexico origination point.. ).. then he just finished the document in 2 minutes and was gone..

After that I just started going back to DFW and dealing with the 45 minute drive and the larger CBP office..

It might be time to give McKinney another try though.. its 10 minutes from the house.. and Id assume the agent that was there 5 years ago is very likely gone at this point... its impossible that they would have replaced him with someone less competent.. so its either the same now.. or has improved to at least some degree lol...

Regional airports that have a CBP office can be hit or miss. The regional airport near me has a CBP office and they next to refuse to do any 4457's during the ski season due to international private flights that come in. Then they want you to set up a appointment and once at the airport parking lot which doesn't have any place for a private person to park to call them. They then come down to inspect your items and then they go back into their secure area to stamp the forum, you are not allowed into the secured area.

After dealing with this a couple of times I just hit up the CBP office at Denver International which is on the way to the airport and not actually at the airport. I just give them a heads up when I am going to be in the area. Since I am in Denver at least a couple of times a year I don't have to make a special trip and if I do I can always hit up a few outdoor stores while I am there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!