Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Ducks unlimited
Hunted
U.S.A. South africa
I went to my local CBP office yesterday to get my 4457 signed. The guy in there had my add on to my form in blue ink after I filled it out in black will this be an issue having 2 different colors on it? I have both my rifle and scope listed on one form he also had me fill one out with just the scope on it. I may just be over worrying about things but I just want to make sure it is right.

Last edited:
Typical of some lower echelon bureaucrats with power. Both blue and black ink are acceptable for legal documents. Some prefer blue because it stands out against the black ink of print and maybe somewhat more discernible in the detection of potentially fraudulent activity. But I'd like to see that in a written regulation about it being a requirement for filling out the 4457! For US customs purposes, the 4457 is simply a "proof" of ownership upon departing the US so you can show you didn't try to re-enter the US with an item that was gotten illicitly or being brought in for nefarious purposes. I think some foreign countries think it is an official registration document such as for firearms registration. Our own agents I think periodically make a fuss to justify their jobs and show how busy they are. About 5 years ago at the Atlanta re-entry firearms inspection, I had one ask me where the serial number was on a rifle stock of the rifle he was inspecting. I acted dumb about the question and was not rude....but don't know how this agent could be classified.... ignorant or dumb as a rock or just having shits and giggles for the sake of it.... none of which were acceptable behavior, IMO. rant over

As to scope and rifle, probably best to just agree politely on face of request and redo the process. Fill out separate 4457s for the scope and the rifle. And ask to use a pen of their choosing. :)

Technically, I used to list my optics and the 4457 isn’t just for firearms but nobody has ever questioned my optics so I quit listing optics.

Take the original 4457 with you as well as a few copies in case lost or if an airline or if a foreign customs officer wants to keep a copy.

Take only what will fit on the 4457 to CBP........say 3 rifles. If you live close, you can always go back and get another one. Make sure of the date on the form. Scott is right, they think it is proof of ownership and registration and I have been to many countries where I would not have gotten in with two colored ink or addenda. .............forget the cameras and scopes. JMO.....................FWB

I have been to many countries where I would not have gotten in with two colored ink or addenda
This is the part that worries me with some of the horror stories going into Johannesburg

The 4457 form process is ridiculous. If anyone cared one bit about efficiency and convenience of travelers the form or something equivalent would and should be issued while the TSA is doing their inspection of your rifle on departure. Instead I have to take a day off work and roll the dice, appointments are not made, that someone will be at their office 2 1/2 hrs from where I live and then have to smile and bite my tongue while an agent acts like a put out child over having to stamp and sign my form. No wonder people hate bureaucrats.
No agent with a single brain cell should have left you with a form in two different colors of ink. Seriously, how much trouble would doing a new one for you have been? On my last trip I did separate forms for my rifle, camera and optics, two sheets, and you would think I had asked her to unload a dump truck of gravel one stone at a time. This year I get to do it again due to the form change last year. You can tell I’m looking forward to it.

Got a question of my own. My first trip over is coming up in 3 months. Went and got my CBP forms filled out. I personally did separate ones for both my rifles/scopes and a separate one for my supressor. All done signed and dated. Went and get everything notarized as well. When I got the letter telling me what I need for SAPS paperwork from the Afton house it says I need a stamped 4457 copy. None of them were stamped from CBP. Spoke to a few guys and some had them stamped and some didn’t. Do I need to make the 2 hour trip back to CBP and have them stamped or? I looked at Rifle Permits paperwork and it says nothing about a stamped copy just a notarized copy. This is the stamp that Afton house said was needed. I did call CBP here and the head officer said he has done thousands and never stamped a 4457 form but he would do it if I brought them down. It’s the route I’ll probably take but a 4 hour round trip just sucks.

Thanks Roy

2D2C7E54-B34C-411A-8A72-925A525E327E.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I will make the 5 hour round trip again in a few weeks and have another done. Atleast the cbp office is at the coast and the wife and I can have a nice weekend away

My wife and I made the 4.5 hour trip to Reno on Friday, arriving too late for CBP. We stayed the weekend, shopping, and screwing around. Booked an extra night just to hit CBP tomorrow morning. My biggest concern at this point is the only form 4457 I have found seems to be "expired." This extra night for nothing?
20230121_174351.jpg

@Tanks ...........ya, even better...........FWB

My wife and I made the 4.5 hour trip to Reno on Friday, arriving too late for CBP. We stayed the weekend, shopping, and screwing around. Booked an extra night just to hit CBP tomorrow morning. My biggest concern at this point is the only form 4457 I have found seems to be "expired." This extra night for nothing?
View attachment 512582
My wife would probably rather go to Reno than the mill in coos bay

Somewhere on the site here is a 4457 with no expiration date that you can prefill on your computer or longhand and then take it with you to the CBP office to have them sign and stamp it after they have verified the serial number on your rifle.

Here is the 4457 with no expiration date, if you haven't used your computer to fill one out you need to open it up with Adobe Acrobat and then click on the Fill And Sign on the right hand side. Once you have it filled out and printed it off take it into the CBP office for their verification, signature, and stamp.

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457.pdf
    859.1 KB · Views: 120
My CBP office told me not to bring a form as they have them there.

Roy

Most will accept one that you get off of the WWW.

But I know what you mean, my local office at a small regional airport want's to do things their way. But it wouldn't hurt to ask them if they will accept one that you get off of the WWW. One nice thing about this one is that there is no expiration date on it, where one that you get from their office may have a expiration date which could throw a curve ball as far as the South African Police accepting it, if that is where you are headed.

Cant wait to deal with this nonsense at DFW this week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg