4457 question

Ive thought about hitting the CBP office in the McKinney regional airport this year... I used them about 5 years ago and it was a freaking disater.. but I think that was largely due to the turd that called himself a CBP Officer that worked there..

He would only see you by appointment.. I had to call multiple times and leave VM's to get him to answer.. and then he scheduled my "appointment" for about a week out... Only to tell me when I arrived that he was too busy and I'd have to come back the next day...

Went back the next day.. and dealt with 15 minutes of theatrics while he told me how incredibly busy he is, etc.. (funny.. he was a 1 man show out there.. they get no international flights to speak of.. its a freaking regional airport that mostly caters to small private aircraft and MAYBE a couple of times a week some dude in a Gulfstream refuels there en route to somewhere else in the US from his Mexico origination point.. ).. then he just finished the document in 2 minutes and was gone..

After that I just started going back to DFW and dealing with the 45 minute drive and the larger CBP office..

It might be time to give McKinney another try though.. its 10 minutes from the house.. and Id assume the agent that was there 5 years ago is very likely gone at this point... its impossible that they would have replaced him with someone less competent.. so its either the same now.. or has improved to at least some degree lol...
I've been dealing with the same agent since 2012 so it might be good to call ahead. Unless he's retired or transferred, he still might be there.

Ive thought about hitting the CBP office in the McKinney regional airport this year... I used them about 5 years ago and it was a freaking disater.. but I think that was largely due to the turd that called himself a CBP Officer that worked there..

He would only see you by appointment.. I had to call multiple times and leave VM's to get him to answer.. and then he scheduled my "appointment" for about a week out... Only to tell me when I arrived that he was too busy and I'd have to come back the next day...

Went back the next day.. and dealt with 15 minutes of theatrics while he told me how incredibly busy he is, etc.. (funny.. he was a 1 man show out there.. they get no international flights to speak of.. its a freaking regional airport that mostly caters to small private aircraft and MAYBE a couple of times a week some dude in a Gulfstream refuels there en route to somewhere else in the US from his Mexico origination point.. ).. then he just finished the document in 2 minutes and was gone..

After that I just started going back to DFW and dealing with the 45 minute drive and the larger CBP office..

It might be time to give McKinney another try though.. its 10 minutes from the house.. and Id assume the agent that was there 5 years ago is very likely gone at this point... its impossible that they would have replaced him with someone less competent.. so its either the same now.. or has improved to at least some degree lol...
I just gave them a call since McKinney is closer for me. Spoke to an "Officer Harris". He said no appointment necessary just give him a call the day of to make sure he will be around. Was very adamant about bringing in rifles with no mags / bolts open or removed completely and that they had to be in a soft or hard case. He highlighted that if he found any ammunition or brass of any kind he would "not clear me then or ever in the future". Other than that he seemed to know the process. Im going to give it a try on Thursday and see what happens

I just gave them a call since McKinney is closer for me. Spoke to an "Officer Harris". He said no appointment necessary just give him a call the day of to make sure he will be around. Was very adamant about bringing in rifles with no mags / bolts open or removed completely and that they had to be in a soft or hard case. He highlighted that if he found any ammunition or brass of any kind he would "not clear me then or ever in the future". Other than that he seemed to know the process. Im going to give it a try on Thursday and see what happens
Yep, when on their playground you play by their rules.

Also common sense goes a long ways.

Reactions: MTA
For me the closest office is Sugarland. The guy that used to be there did them all the time. Now,new officer since2021 refuses to do them and says go it Hobby or Intercontinental. Last year I found the Freeport port office will do them. I take the 1.5 hour back country roads and go there. Instead of fighting Houston.

Reactions: MTA
Just wanted to bump this for DFW folks. The process at McKinney Airport was good. The CBP Officer is Officer Hairston. He mentioned that he is stationed there until he retires in 6 years.

Give him a call before you plan on being there so he can make sure he is available. He is very particular about rifles being cased, bolts removed or pulled back and no ammunition or brass being present in the case at all. He will use his own forms too.

He seems to be well-versed in the nonsense that SAPS pulls with 4457s so he keeps up on changes. Overall a very good experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.