.416 or larger in left hand - recommendations??

Guys can you educate me- Left handed double- Does the lever work the opposite way or is it just the stock that is left handed.

And I assume that a Ruger No 1 is just the stock that needs changing.

Of course, you can also get a leggo gun, I mean Blaser, in left handed big bores. ;)
There you go, a R8 Professional left hand, they make a 10.3 x 68, 416 Rem,458 lot, even a 500 Jeffery. Then any other caliber your heart desires in a strong compact one gun does everything rifle.

Guys can you educate me- Left handed double- Does the lever work the opposite way or is it just the stock that is left handed.

On a left handed Heym the stock is left handed, the triggers are offset for a lefty and front trigger fires the left barrel first.

The lever is right handed, and I actually prefer it that way after close to 20K shells of shotgun shooting with a right handed lever within the last year.

Depends on the manufacturer and just how "left handed" the double is.

Does anybody have any recommendations for finding a left-handed rifle in .416 or larger caliber?

Depending on how big of a caliber you're interested in and budget, the custom route may be a good option. I have a lefty 470NE from Chapuis. The key point is that it's fitted specifically to my measurements (taken via Try-gun). I've fired a random 470 and my 470. My double's recoil noticeable less punishing, because the gun is perfectly fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
@philheise - for an over .40 caliber the first thing I would ask is what is your budget. The second thing I would ask is that you throw your budget out the window. When it comes to hunting DG and a rifle that you will bet your life on, it's not the time to be pinching pennies. That being said there are still good "deals" to be had on the LH market.

The other members here have given very good advice on several avenues to take, but I have yet to see any reaction or response from you on what type of rifle you would prefer. CRF, double rifle, Ruger No.1, Blaser R8 or full custom? Have you made a decision?

I'm in the same boat as you. Ruger makes their 375 Ruger in LH, and then you could rebarrel it to the 416 Ruger, which gives up little or no ground to the other 416s. Only issue with that one is availability of ammo in Africa if you need some in a pinch.

Seems like I remember reading that all the RUM cartridges were based on the 404J cartridge. That being the case, shouldn't be a huge deal to convert back to 404J, assuming you can find one chambered in LH

Montana Rifles would have been a good choice until a couple years ago.
I have a .425 Westley Richards based on a LH Winchester Model 70 CRF, originally in a RUM caliber. I form the cases from RUM brass, so I didn't have to alter the bolt, but I also have a spare bolt with the correct size face for a factory .425. Jim Kobe did the job for me, and a very nice one, too.

Does anybody have any recommendations for finding a left-handed rifle in .416 or larger caliber?
I suffer from the same affliction, being left handed. I scoured the internet looking for a LH CRF in 375 H&H or bigger for about two to three months. I bid on a couple of Win. M70s, a Dakota 97, and a couple of Montana rifles. The bids got out of hand quickly and they out bid me. I started to look at Cabela’s Gun Library and found a Dakota Model 76 in 416 Rem. Mag. Cabela’s has had a couple of rifles that were similar since then in their Gun Library. Good luck!!! You’ll find one, but unfortunately for us, it requires a bit of work to find them.

Found a Model 70 Classic stainless/synthetic in 416 Rem for my lefty son. Probably paid too much but I doubt more than two boxes of ammo was shot through it. It was a little muzzle heavy, so we had our gunsmith shorten the barrel to 22" and Cerakote it. It's a nice gun.

Found a Model 70 Classic stainless/synthetic in 416 Rem for my lefty son. Probably paid too much but I doubt more than two boxes of ammo was shot through it. It was a little muzzle heavy, so we had our gunsmith shorten the barrel to 22" and Cerakote it. It's a nice gun. It's got a Talley steel QR rings (also Cerakoted) and a Leupold 1.5-5x scope on it now.
82EmlAe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois