Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Dittos on the Past Super Mag Plus Recoil Shield. I don't do any large bore load development work without it. BTW I'm very glad you got things sorted out, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to do it. Let us know how your loads perform over a chronograph.

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Thanks chaps. When I look at One Day's picture of the mounts I think that could have been one of the issues. I had initially put the mounts on the end of the dovetail which looking back was a bad idea! We live and learn.

I was very relieved when my friend shot the rifle first at the range and placed three shots on a 2" bull at 50m. That told me things were looking up, and after a few more tries to get used to the trigger he'd pulled the groups right in. I then followed suit, my mind filled with both confidence and a feeling of "if he's shot it that well then I'll never hear the end of it if I can't!". I shot similar groups to him using up the last of my low loads and then improved on them a little with the higher ones.

I do think that a fully stoked round will be at the limit of what I enjoy regarding recoil. I expect that will improve as I shoot the rifle more - I intend in the mid term to cast and load RCBS 350gr gas checked lead bullets so I can cheaply put a lot of rounds down the rifle at informal targets. I will drive them as hard as I can tolerate and keep using the gun as regularly as I can for a while. I also have some 300gr Barnes bullets on the way which will better suit the game we have here, so will get a bit of field experience using those too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicholeMir

Latest profile posts

flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.