Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I still don’t get it. Such nostalgia for a 404 Jeffery yet if it was such a big deal why are there none available for sale? The only way I see to own one is through Rigby shop new. 375’s everywhere for sale no 404’s

Must be a reason for this

If Bill Ruger had not made the RSM in 416 and convinced ammo manufacturers to revive the round, we could say the same thing about the 416. I think Jeffery is again making them (And the 500)! The bolt head, bore diameter etc make it unlikely for the volume manufacturers.

It’s a great round, but no mystery. The lower recoil is due to the fact that it was 200-300 fps slower than and 416 (or 425).

I’m having one built based on CZ 550 action by Wayne at AHR. Build is cheap compared to a Rigby….

Components are like hens teeth at this time.

I owned an MRC 404 and would highly discourage a purchase of an MRC of one could be found.

I’m having one built based on CZ 550 action by Wayne at AHR. Build is cheap compared to a Rigby….

Components are like hens teeth at this time.

I owned an MRC 404 and would highly discourage a purchase of an MRC of one could be found.

I’d like to see that when you get it Andrew! Bring it over for some range time. I’m sure I could rustle up a steak and a good bourbon afterward.

I still don’t get it. Such nostalgia for a 404 Jeffery yet if it was such a big deal why are there none available for sale? The only way I see to own one is through Rigby shop new. 375’s everywhere for sale no 404’s

Must be a reason for this
Hi Rare Breed, When you get over here we have 5 .404J’s. Anywhere from original Jefferies to Rigby. You will be welcome to use if you get bored with your .470 dbl.

Please send phone # in a email Liesl bought me a new phone and I lost a lot of # and e-mail addresses.

Lon

It is just a damn effective round that did all the heavy lifting in the early 1900's till now. If it was for Ruawark (I spelled it wrong) the 416 rigby would have died in the 1930's. In the 404 original ;loading 400gr at 2150 it was used by most all the African game management units. Modern loading are 2300-2400. A good gunsmith can easily get it to fit in a M98 mauser and any magnum length action. Nostalgia hold alot of folks, I am one of them. The biggest readon you see so few in the US is that most american shooters have never heard of it. Most have heard 416 rigby. and all they know is its a big bullet. This forum is different as it focuses on Africa hunting and that brings all the classic to new rounds to the forefront. So those of us that know what the round is as soon as one comes up for sale it gets snatched up.

I believe (with no real evidence) that Ammunition manufacturers and rifle makers make caliber selections based on popularity. 404J isn’t the most well known cartridge to the uneducated public. If you ask the average person at a gun store which round is bigger a 404 or a 416 most would choose the 416 not knowing the 404 is actually .423 as the knowledge base for larger calibers is outside of most shooters wheelhouse. Personally I’d love to see more offerings from more manufacturers so I can buy a 404 and ammo someday

I'm guessing it's simple demand and supply. Probably not as many 404j's as there are 416 Rigby's. However, as an owner of the Rigby, the ammo isn't all that easy to find either. I've ordered it from Federal's Custom Shop when I've needed it this year.

Hi Rare Breed, When you get over here we have 5 .404J’s. Anywhere from original Jefferies to Rigby. You will be welcome to use if you get bored with your .470 dbl.

Please send phone # in a email Liesl bought me a new phone and I lost a lot of # and e-mail addresses.

Lon
PM coming

CZ made the 550 on 404 Jeffery I used mine on Hippo a few years ago, Hornady made a run of cases so I bought enough to last, paired with Woodliegh bullets it works.

It is just a damn effective round that did all the heavy lifting in the early 1900's till now. If it was for Ruawark (I spelled it wrong) the 416 rigby would have died in the 1930's. In the 404 original ;loading 400gr at 2150 it was used by most all the African game management units. Modern loading are 2300-2400. A good gunsmith can easily get it to fit in a M98 mauser and any magnum length action. Nostalgia hold alot of folks, I am one of them. The biggest readon you see so few in the US is that most american shooters have never heard of it. Most have heard 416 rigby. and all they know is its a big bullet. This forum is different as it focuses on Africa hunting and that brings all the classic to new rounds to the forefront. So those of us that know what the round is as soon as one comes up for sale it gets snatched up.
Well ... it's not EASY fitting 404 Jeffery into a standard Mauser 98. It does require patience and an ability to think outside the box. No gunsmiths here so I had the barrel made and installed in Montana. A local machinist tackled opening up the bolt face and managed just fine though he'd never done any gun work before. I did the rest of the work with the assistance of Mr Dremel Tool and a variety pack of a thousand and one attachments I bought at a pawn shop.

American hunters/shooters are the Olympic gold medal champions of bizarro cartridge development. For me it's almost laughable to see guys over here scratching their head when I tell them I built a 404 Jeffery. "Well then, what do you shoot?" 257 Roberts, 35 Whelen (sp), 444 Marlin, 25-06, etc. The list of American wildcats is endless. But the 404 Jeffery was the first rimless repeating rifle buffalo killer cartridge circa 1905. Several rimmed thumper species for repeaters were around then but almost all have disappeared or essentially disappeared (45-70 being the exception). You'll have a much easier time finding a rifle and ammo for 404 Jeff than 45-90 or 405 Winchester. There's a reason why the 404 survived and those others didn't. It was quickly eclipsed by 416 Rigby and 375 H&H but I think 404 has always held onto rimless third place in dangerous game country. 458 Lott maybe made the race for bronze a close run thing for a while but in the end the Jeff has proved its staying power. With modern bullets I forecast this cartridge will give the 375 a run for the money as most versatile dangerous game cartridge. In 300 gr it should have plenty of gas for added distance, and copper bullets should provide ample penetration.

Last edited:
Shop around they are available. We have 4 .

I've always thought we need a rinse repeat of the .450/400 NE 3" story for the .404 Jeffery.

Who was it that got that ball rolling again - Boddington? With his contacts/relationships with Ruger & Hornady eventually his prodding resulted in #1's offered in .450/400 NE 3" and the ammo for them. At least that's how I remember it. Do correct me on the history if I'm wrong though.

Would luv to own a .404 and bring it back and forth across the pond...

Heym offers the 404J in their Magnum Express Bolt Action Rifle. I know @TOBY458 had a Heym Martini 404J for a while before it hit the kitchen counter.

I just used my 404Jeffery to great effect on a hippo. I plan on using it on buffalo and elephant in the next couple of years. Mine is built on a Winchester M70 action. Acquiring ammo has been a bit of a challenge but through constant looking I have been able to acquire enough softs and solids to last me the rest of my life but I’m always looking for more. I find mine to not be too harsh in terms of recoil when shot off of shooting sticks.

As an owner of a 404 Jeffrey I think one reasons so few are available is the no one who owns one is willing to part with it.

Another reason is perceived recoil. My 416 Rigby and 404 Jeffrey are both CZ 550 models. Almost identical except for barrel length. Both wear identical Trijicon scopes in Alaska Arms rings. When both are loaded with 400 grain Barnes bullets at 2300 fps the 404 is a pussycat compared to the Rigby.

For the right price I would part with my 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, and 470 NE. Not my 404!

As an owner of a 404 Jeffrey I think one reasons so few are available is the no one who owns one is willing to part with it.

Another reason is perceived recoil. My 416 Rigby and 404 Jeffrey are both CZ 550 models. Almost identical except for barrel length. Both wear identical Trijicon scopes in Alaska Arms rings. When both are loaded with 400 grain Barnes bullets at 2300 fps the 404 is a pussycat compared to the Rigby.

For the right price I would part with my 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, and 470 NE. Not my 404!
What is your 470?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlenaHutch

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.