.404 JEFFERY - A Professional Hunter point of view

Rob44...you are indeed in good company..:sneaky:

African hunting reeks from nostalgia, Mannlichers, Mausers, double rifles...canvas hats and safari jackets....and G/T of course..

My last toy is a 100+ year old english double in .475 NE....cant wait to hunt elephant with it..:whistle:

As you can see from the likes, some of us are waiting to see the pics and to hear about the hunt!!!

To be the fly in the ointment....in the classic 40. calibresI would choose the .416 Rigby over the .404....at least the same performance and always at a lower chamber pressure...:p

As you can see from the likes, some of us are waiting to see the pics and to hear about the hunt!!!

Sierra...if I bag elephant with my double I will show pics..

To be the fly in the ointment....in the classic 40. calibresI would choose the .416 Rigby over the .404....at least the same performance and always at a lower chamber pressure...:p

Ahhhh well got a .416 rigby, a .404 jeff and 2 .458lotts so i am covered on this one .....:Smuggrin:

Ahhhh well got a .416 rigby, a .404 jeff and 2 .458lotts so i am covered on this one .....:Smuggrin:
(Sort of) with you on this one Mike! Why pick between the .404 and the .416 when you could (and should!) have both?!!

You gentlemen are quite correct, it would be wise to use the 404 Jeffery as the primary hunting rifle and the .416 or .458 as the back-up rifle..although if you only use the 404 Jeffery I am positive that it will be all you will need since a good bullet placement is all you need as well...(y):whistle: Second thoughts...the .375 H&H John " Pondoro " Taylor used to shoot through a four inch tree branch and then through seven Eland maybe the ultimate dangerous game rifle to use...even the 404 Jeffery do not have a chance against such a rifle .....(y);)

not even a little bit surprised that you have every one covered ,mate ..........

That 404.. is it not perhaps the hordes of Peugeot 404's that dominated Rhodesia in the early 70's and 80's ?

I have the STANDARD stock with NO cheek piece... I shoot left handed and my 2 x sons. shoot right handed, so cheek pieces are out. I will send a foto later
Not a great picture.. I am unfortunately out of the country and my son took this foto..
BRNO 375 2.jpg

So, what would it say if I showed up with a 425 Express? Custom built on a mauser action, blued, but, oh no, wait for it, the stock is black. Maybe I should put it back in the case and get the Mannlicher Schoner 9,3x64 out, the double set triggers would certainly impress. Oh I left my culling belt at home.

I would think , the PH will say:
" On both accounts find guilty of being in possession of two great classic hunting rifles and you are more than welcome to shoot all the game needed for the staff and surrounding inhabitants....all for free excluded as part of your extensive trophy list, you will even be re-em burst for the ammo you used while doing the hunting of game for feeding the staff for the next three weeks...(y)(y):D As long as you use your two beautiful classic rifles...."

So, what would it say if I showed up with a 425 Express? Custom built on a mauser action, blued, but, oh no, wait for it, the stock is black. Maybe I should put it back in the case and get the Mannlicher Schoner 9,3x64 out, the double set triggers would certainly impress. Oh I left my culling belt at home.

.425 westley richards maybe but isnt that express one a bit of a youngster?.......:E Big Grin:

Breathing Hugh sigh of relief.... The PH has been won over... Now the fun begins, let's put some food on the table

Oh no, I've been caught by someone in the know. I knew the black stock would label me a newbie . These young cartridges don't stand a chance.

Oh no, I've been caught by someone in the know. I knew the black stock would label me a newbie . These young cartridges don't stand a chance.

yeah give it another 80 years or so and it will probably be ok to use....;)

When I put the year 2096 in while trying to book plane tickets to SA my computer locked up

The 404 Jeff is as deadly and devastatingly effective now as it was in 1905. Using premium ammunition available today, it is more suited for dangerous game than the 375 H&H.

It is a much overlooked calibre by modern day hunters, who seem to prefer more modern day calibres, which is a shame.

400 gr (26 g) 2,300 ft/s (700 m/s) 4,698 ft·lbf (6,370 J)
450 gr (29 g) 2,150 ft/s (660 m/s) 4,620 ft·lbf (6,260 J)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!