375 solid preference? Elephant considered

T

That’s very, very strange. I have used handloaded Hydro’s in calibres from 338WM to 450NE. The only one’s the weren’t pass throughs were on Aussie buff bulls. Everything from pigs, donkeys, cape buff, hippo, scrub bulls and water buffalo have been slayed with Hydro’s. From the very few recovered from animals and into dirt backstops at my range they have shown nill to very small amount of expansion. Very small amount.
Just my experience with them
This is exactly why I asked if he had any of the recovered projectiles. If they expanded or mushroomed at all the issue is the batch of projectiles he has. I fully understand and get why he personally doesn't like them. I had issues with rage broadheads not expanding years ago. For this reason I won't shoot rages despite a bunch of friends shooting them, and seeing the first hand results. I actually won't shoot any mechanical broadheads because of the 2 that failed to open (1 whitetail, and 1 on a target after). I know there was an issue around that time with them but after that I went back to slicktricks and have only shot fixed blade broadheads since.
 
Ive used Northfork solids but I doubt there is much difference in any of them. They are just solids!
 
As boddington has said all solids on the market today are good so just use the solid you feel most confidence in.
 
Flat nosed 300gr solid, monometal if you want to be picky.
300 grain AFrames.
Don’t get more complicated than this.
Done and dusted.
 
After chatting with a few people I have ruled out the 375 all together. I may carry it on a PG hunt if there is DG in the area, although not likely as I have discovered through a little bit of range work that the 416 has almost the same trajectory and packs a good bit more stopping power. I purchased a 500 Jeffrey and it will be my primary elephant and most likely buffalo gun on this trip and I will be bringing the 416 as a back up.
I like the 375 and I understand it will "kill" anything in africa, but I am comfortable shooting the larger rifles. I will be running Cutting edge solids and Swift A Frames in both rifles, barring any feeding issues with the CE bullets but it is looking good so far.
Attached is the soft solid combo for the 416 at approx. 60 yards. The 500 Jeffrey loads are still under development but they are coming together pretty nicely.
20220516_131113.jpg
 
Couldn’t have picked better myself. How old are these? Barnes stopped making flat nosed banded solids quite some time back (except for the .470, .500, .577 and .600 calibers).

Wish I had an answer but I haven't a clue as to their age, HH. The pic is one I pulled from the net as an aid for my post. I came across some for sale earlier this week and was curious about them. Not sure why I'm considering their purchase, I don't even own a .375.... evil forces at play.;)
 
Wish I had an answer but I haven't a clue as to their age, HH. The pic is one I pulled from the net as an aid for my post. I came across some for sale earlier this week and was curious about them. Not sure why I'm considering their purchase, I don't even own a .375.... evil forces at play.;)
Buying a few boxes is just like eating one Dorito…. The whole bag will follow is short succession.
my guess is 10 out of 10 hunters are happy they bought a .375 and would do it again.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,301
Messages
1,571,081
Members
169,102
Latest member
JasonVyw5
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top