.375 Identification

I agree. If it feeds, fires and ejects reliably, leave it be and go hunt! If not, have a competent gunsmith fix it, and then go hunt. No one can replicate the beautiful patina of a well-used rifle.
Love this Doug - keeping it as is. Performs perfectly so no need for a gunsmith.
 
I’m always looking for a rifle with wear like that. With a good bore, well “seasoned” oil finish stock
 
The suggestion above re hidden crossbolts is a good one. Several videos are available that show how it's done. Roy Weatherby pioneered the concept and it has worked well holding his hard kicking guns together. I would also suggest putting a pin through the wrist if it hasn't been done already. I used 3/16" rod but most use 1/4" threaded rod. My stock's wrist was rather thin and I didn't want to remove that much wood. How-to videos show drilling the hole freehand with an electric hand drill. I didn't care for that idea so built a jig to hold the extra long drill. Here it is set up ready to begin drilling. In hindsight I could have cut off some of the shank of extra long drill bit and made it easier to handle.

All of these changes, plus glass bedding, will make the stock stronger without altering the appearance which in my opinion is important because this gun is a collectable. You definitely want to keep that stock intact. As far as rebluing, if it was classic rebluing, I'm not convinced that would hurt collector value. But others more involved in gun trading could advise you better. Great gun. Great piece of history.
17122000097664993629222487861060.jpg
 
I think the bottom metal is from a 1909 Argentine.
Good looking rifle!
The swept upward angle in the trigger guard behind the trigger doesn't seem to match Argentine. Interesting.
 
The swept upward angle in the trigger guard behind the trigger doesn't seem to match Argentine. Interesting.
I think the whole bottom metal is bent to allow for a deeper magazine and still keep the trigger and rear screw in the right position - Similar to how Schuler did it on the 500 Jumbos.
The floorplate is 100% from an Argentine.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,286
Members
169,998
Latest member
SadyeGrand
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top