Glenn Slaven

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Loading Nosler AB in 300 grain for .375 HH, and using Lee seating die. Apparently the shape of the bullet differs from the shape of the plug in the die. Anyone else have this problem and does it really matter? Rounds come out looking kinda funky, but shoot fine and good groups. Does lee make custom plugs?

I doubt Lee (or any) makes specific plugs for all the various nose profiles.

Not uncommon with many or most plugs, no matter the manufacturer. As long as the contact ring is somewhere on the ogive of the bullet, that's about as accurate or precise (consistent) as any. You can take a cone shaped piece of whatever that will fit inside the plug, add some 400 grit paper and turn the plug in a drill. That will take any sharp-edged bur off the plug and reduce the cosmetic ring on the bullet. The opposite problem is much worse though- where the plug is too shallow and the tip of the bullet makes contact during seating- not good because that provides the least consistency for seating. And drilling out that center to relieve the tip contact is very difficult because usually those parts are hardened.

You can make a bullet specific plug modification by putting some release agent like a paste wax on a bullet, then dab some epoxy bedding or even JB Weld into the plug. Insert bullet (inline and plumb to axis). Let set up overnight. Presto! custom plug for that ONE bullet profile and lot. Once done, use a 1/8" or similar sized drill and drill out the center of the bedding so the bullet TIP doesn't make contact. Other bullet profiles of course wouldn't fit exactly so a "custom" plug would have to be made for each type if exact fit is desired.

Last edited:
Yes. The problem I’m having is the tip is hitting the top I assume and it’s mashing the front of the bullet. I imagine the JB Weld idea should work though? I had thought to see if anyone does custom plugs, but may not be worth the money. I guess I could call Lee and ask, but like you said, I may be able to solve problem with your fix. Gracias.

I had the same issue with a Lee die ( I can't recall the caliber, but could have been 375). I have never had the issue with my RCBS or Redding dies. I have switched all of mine over to one of those two makes.

Ya, hitting the tip is not good because of the inconsistency. The only possibly with the Lee plug is that the one you have is for a flat nose cast bullet. If it is their "standard" plug for spitzer noses then there is little chance they would have one for a "slimmer" profile. The modification should work... you'll just need to allow for enough thickness of the bedding to off-set the bullet far enough so the tip doesn't hit. The trick being to keep the axis of the bullet lined up with the axis of the plug while the epoxy sets up. You could try drilling a tip relief hole in the bottom center but those parts are usually hardened and would just burn a regular bit.

I load the 260 AB with RCBS die and norma brass without issue? I would see if any one you know has a different die you could try?
Hope it works out.
Pat

If it has a hole in it at all, you can put a little epoxy in there, then run a case and bullet up there to create the perfect seating plug. Just make sure to put a light coat of wax on EVERYTHING except the inside of the seating plug. After an hour or so you can pull it apart and clean any of the excess off.

Call or email Lee, several years ago I encountered this issue while loading the Hornady .358" 180 grain Single Shot Pistol bullet using Lee .357 Remington Maximum dies. The seating plug was designed for blunt pistol bullets. Lee requested that I send a single Hornady bullet to them. Couple weeks later I got a new seating plug that seated on the bullet ogive rather than the tip. I think the charge was around $8-$10.

I said to hell with it. I can screw up a winning lottery ticket, so I just threw $40 at it and RCBS does will be at my house tomorrow. Any body looking for a good deal on a sizer and seater .375 dies....

Good move. I use RCBS dies exclusively for everything and never have a problem. The shape of the bullet makes no difference.

That'll work and probably a good decision. I like the Lee seater because if set up right it is good at straight line seating. But obviously if it has an incorrect plug... not good. And, I don't particularly like the O ring type friction lock rings Lee uses for dies and stems.

When you get the RCBS and are setting it up remember to pay attention to the internal crimping shoulder :) I am especially particular about crimping correctly and in the right place so I adjust the regular seating die to NOT engage the crimping shoulder and use a Lee Factory Crimp die as a final operation for all my hunting ammo.

The lee factory crimp die is the only lee product I use
I am quickly becoming that way as well.

On a side note, it is amazing how many extra die sets I have boxed up that I don’t use. I need to do a fire sale on them and maybe pass them along.

So my dies came in. Super excited. Went to load up a 300 grain accubond...and this happened. What am I doing wrong?

3CEF506D-ACE3-4720-9641-D5BEFDDC0B52.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I took it out for the pic. It’s getting stuck up inside when I try to seat it. Sorry, should have explained it better.

Well you did say you could screw up a winning lottery ticket!:D:D:rolleyes: But I have your answer for you. Bag the AB and use another bullet.o_Oo_O:(:whistle:
But seriously though. I would call RCBS and ask them about it, they are probably better than all the others for CS.

Well you did say you could screw up a winning lottery ticket!:D:D:rolleyes: But I have your answer for you. Bag the AB and use another bullet.o_Oo_O:(:whistle:
But seriously though. I would call RCBS and ask them about it, they are probably better than all the others for CS.
I would if my gun didn’t shoot that load so well. What’s funny is the Lee does that distort the bullet are what I used to load them with. But yeah, for sure, I can screw up an easy putt.

+1 on the CS. I kept getting .470NE case stuck. 3x it happened. I was making sure I lubed, inside neck, die, etc. went in small incriminates, but eventually it would rip the rim off. So I sent it back and they got with me and told me they had cut the die incorrectly and sent me a new one right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.