375 H&H Solid/Soft Combo Run Off

Midway just sent the .375 caliber 300 Gr. Woodleigh Hydros. that were backordered for well over a year. You may be able to get some if you order soon. From everything I've read, they are one hell of a bullet.

Midway just sent the .375 caliber 300 Gr. Woodleigh Hydros. that were backordered for well over a year. You may be able to get some if you order soon. From everything I've read, they are one hell of a bullet.
I second this and would pair them with your Swift A Frames.

Second choice would be the monolithic 300 grain solid with TSX if you can get them to regulate. Prove me wrong but I'm guessing the TSX will be easier to regulate with that solid.

The 350 grain options are intriguing. I suspect you will have no issues with the solid and ut may truly make that 375 perform half way towards a 404 Jeffrey;) However I'd be concerned about the Woodliegh soft holding together on Buffalo. Probably be just fine at the slower velocity one would expect with that heavier bullet. And if your PG shooting will be mostly shorter ranges, it could work well! Sometimes a slower heavier bullet is the better option and may not expand as aggressively on small PG that may otherwise be blown apart?

If memory is serving me right, I'd ask @tarbe for experience with Woodleigh softs on buffalo.

Once the weather cools off a bit here, I plan to do some experiments. I've been doing some shooting with some bigger guns, and I'll probably use one of those on this particular hunt. But I'll probably take along a 375 for my second rifle. That way, I'm covered either way. I'm leaning heavily towards a 416 RM as my main rifle, but the 458 isn't out of the question.

I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m a two gun guy. I took a .416 and .375 on my first safari. Buffalo was the only DG on that hunt but I wanted to be able to take the buffalo with either one in my hands.
I took the buffalo and seven head of PG with the .416. I only used the. .375 on thee head of PG.
IMO, as a .416 with a 400 gr and a .375 with 350 gr bullets will have similar trajectories, if you want to take just one rifle, I’d take the .416.

I ended up pairing the TSX and CEB solids. They group together perfectly. The TSX ammo I'm using is actually the Barnes Vortex factory loads. They shoot so well in my rifles that I didn't feel the need to handload them. Velocity is around 2520fps from my 24" barrel R8. I loaded the CEB solids to slightly higher velocity than the TSX, (2580fps) and their POI is exactly the same. I did some "testing" of the solids on a big pine tree, around 2 feet thick, and they shoot through it easily. Should plow right through an Elephant skull.

… enjoy & best of luck in Zim!

WOW & Damn, I feeling abit like a cave dweller w/o Internet & Bigfoot is my neighbor! :oops:

I enjoyed this thread but was not tracking = CEB in the posts!? I now realize that’s = Cutting Edge Bullets, & embarrassed to admit but I completely missed the whole CEB release thing!?

Thx for this post & responses … just got off CEB website & pretty impressed. Will have to see IF/How I can access availability here in Europe.

Happy Trails

I use TSX softs. CEB BBW#13 solids.
375H&H, 404 Jeffery and 458 Lott.

I've taken 9 buffalo and 3 elephants with Barnes ammo. I shoot factory ammo, so I shoot Barnes 300 grain TSX for buffalo, Barnes 300 grain banded solids for elephant. .375H&H is all you need for these animals, however, if you have a bigger gun, are ok with the recoil, then by all means go bigger. Good luck when it comes time to hunt, elephant hunting is the best!!

I can't stress this enough to those going to Zimbabwe:

DO NOT TAKE Barnes TSX bullets to Zimbabwe! Luckily I was leaving when my ammo was checked. NO HOLLOW POINT bullets are allowed in Zimbabwe.

Barnes TSX bullets are considered hollow points in Zimbabwe even though Barnes list them as solids.

Because the same folks that checked my gear and ammo and let me enter Zimbabwe were the same ones checking my gear and ammo as I was departing it was '....you (me) don't tell we won't tell and we'll let you leave with a warning that this type (hollow point) ammo is not allowed in Zimbabwe...'. I agreed not to bring this type ammo into Zimbabwe in the future and thanked them for allowing me to leave without any legal problem to deal with.

Not saying it won’t happen, but I’ve never been to Zimbabwe without Barnes bullets

Not saying it won’t happen, but I’ve never been to Zimbabwe without Barnes bullets
Same for me, but, the last time I was in Zim was 2010, so things possibly have changed, hell, they can change from one agent to the next, nothing consistent in Africa!!

Same for me, but, the last time I was in Zim was 2010, so things possibly have changed, hell, they can change from one agent to the next, nothing consistent in Africa!!

I'm just holding up my end of the agreement, as I told the folks that checked my ammo that I would get the word out that hollow point bullets are against the law in Zimbabwe.

Accordingly, Had they have checked my ammo on my entry into Zimbabwe they would have at best just confiscated my ammo. At worst case scenario I would have been cited and have to go to court with who knows what kind of outcome, anything but good.

I apologized immensely for my error as Barnes TSX bullets are considered to be solids. The folks that check your ammo, firearms, and such in Zimbabwe pointed to the little hole in the tip of the bullets and declared the bullets as illegal for import into Zimbabwe and that I could have been arrested for trying to import banned ammo into the country.

Unlike RSA's SAPS, and their friendly but stern attitude, I'm pretty sure had I offered any kind of "monetary solution" it would have escalated the matter and I would have been on the losing end of a very bad situation.

I sincerely apologized, stated that the bullet manufacturer listed the bullets as being solids for use on African dangerous game, and had I known, because I couldn't find any information to the contrary, I would not have brought these bullets but would have brought different solid bullets for Cape Buffalo.

Their reaction: '...well because you are leaving we will just let you know that hollow point bullets are illegal in our country... please don't bring them ( HP bullets) or you will get into trouble...'.

We BSed a while because this was my first time to Zimbabwe, and other things. I had time to kill before my flight, and they wanted to chat with a foreigner, they were board, so what the hey, it was a slow day for these folks, besides I was just as interested in learning and hearing from them, their stories, and more about the does and don'ts to enter their country and their attitude of wanting to, although unable to afford such a trip outside of Zimbabwe let alone to any other countries in Africa. I degrees a bit to much and this should be carried over to another OP.

The main point here is it's illegal to import hollow point bullets into Zimbabwe. These folks that inspected me didn't look at my ammo and let me enter without any problems. They let me depart Zimbabwe with a warning. I'm passing that warning on to those going on a hunting safari to Zimbabwe because the folks I dealt with are friendly, and who knows the folks another AH member may deal with may not be so friendly, shit happens at the worst time.

I like, use, and recommend Barnes TSX bullets. I hate it, But the hollow point bullets are illegal in Zimbabwe according to the people I dealt with at customs, so I won't be taking any hollow point bullets into Zimbabwe.

I would use the Swift 300 grainer and the Barnes meplat Banded Solid.

I can't stress this enough to those going to Zimbabwe:

DO NOT TAKE Barnes TSX bullets to Zimbabwe! Luckily I was leaving when my ammo was checked. NO HOLLOW POINT bullets are allowed in Zimbabwe.

Barnes TSX bullets are considered hollow points in Zimbabwe even though Barnes list them as solids.

Because the same folks that checked my gear and ammo and let me enter Zimbabwe were the same ones checking my gear and ammo as I was departing it was '....you (me) don't tell we won't tell and we'll let you leave with a warning that this type (hollow point) ammo is not allowed in Zimbabwe...'. I agreed not to bring this type ammo into Zimbabwe in the future and thanked them for allowing me to leave without any legal problem to deal with.
This is just the tip hussle and happens all over Africa in all kinds of situations. BS

I'm just holding up my end of the agreement, as I told the folks that checked my ammo that I would get the word out that hollow point bullets are against the law in Zimbabwe.

Accordingly, Had they have checked my ammo on my entry into Zimbabwe they would have at best just confiscated my ammo. At worst case scenario I would have been cited and have to go to court with who knows what kind of outcome, anything but good.

I apologized immensely for my error as Barnes TSX bullets are considered to be solids. The folks that check your ammo, firearms, and such in Zimbabwe pointed to the little hole in the tip of the bullets and declared the bullets as illegal for import into Zimbabwe and that I could have been arrested for trying to import banned ammo into the country.

Unlike RSA's SAPS, and their friendly but stern attitude, I'm pretty sure had I offered any kind of "monetary solution" it would have escalated the matter and I would have been on the losing end of a very bad situation.

I sincerely apologized, stated that the bullet manufacturer listed the bullets as being solids for use on African dangerous game, and had I known, because I couldn't find any information to the contrary, I would not have brought these bullets but would have brought different solid bullets for Cape Buffalo.

Their reaction: '...well because you are leaving we will just let you know that hollow point bullets are illegal in our country... please don't bring them ( HP bullets) or you will get into trouble...'.

We BSed a while because this was my first time to Zimbabwe, and other things. I had time to kill before my flight, and they wanted to chat with a foreigner, they were board, so what the hey, it was a slow day for these folks, besides I was just as interested in learning and hearing from them, their stories, and more about the does and don'ts to enter their country and their attitude of wanting to, although unable to afford such a trip outside of Zimbabwe let alone to any other countries in Africa. I degrees a bit to much and this should be carried over to another OP.

The main point here is it's illegal to import hollow point bullets into Zimbabwe. These folks that inspected me didn't look at my ammo and let me enter without any problems. They let me depart Zimbabwe with a warning. I'm passing that warning on to those going on a hunting safari to Zimbabwe because the folks I dealt with are friendly, and who knows the folks another AH member may deal with may not be so friendly, shit happens at the worst time.

I like, use, and recommend Barnes TSX bullets. I hate it, But the hollow point bullets are illegal in Zimbabwe according to the people I dealt with at customs, so I won't be taking any hollow point bullets into Zimbabwe.
Did you look this up or just take their word for it? Its Africa and there is lots of bad info!
It would be nice if one of our Zim PH's would chime in on this.

I spoke with two PHs from Zimbabwe yesterday and neither one said there's any problem with TSX. Also, there's not even a ban on hollow point bullets there. I think you were just being hustled for a tip.

I have been looking on here for the answer to this question, so forgive me if it's been answered 1000 times already and I just didn't find it. But, I plan to take my .375 Weatherby on a Cape Buff hunt. I have loaded up Swift A-Frames, Barnes TSX, and Woodleigh Weldcore 300gr's. I've also gone through five boxes of factory loads with Nosler 300gr Partitions. We did the velocity testing with handloads using Sierra Game King 300's. From reading on here, I see a lot of folks prefer solids.

My question is: How many soft points do you load and then how many solids? I've read where some folks like to have the first one be a soft point, with the rest solids. Some say make the first two soft points and then solids. What is the general consensus?

On another thread, I'd discussed the rifle I built and it's velocity (2889 ft/s with a 300gr). I've not fired any 350's out of it yet, but had it throated for 350's. But, it seems to be a tack driver with 300's. So I was leaning toward only ever shooting 300gr out of it and that's it. Buffalo, plains game, whatever....they all get a 300. It looks like the Cutting Edge Solids seem to be held in high regard on here. That new breakaway from Swift looks interesting. And the tried and true Nosler and Barnes solids look good too.

So what do you all recommend? Maybe an A-Frame 300 for the first one and then solids? Two A-Frames and the rest solids? TSX's and a $100 bill :) Ha ha! I guess I first need to make sure the Cutting Edge Solids will feed. I would hope to slay him with the first round, then maybe a second to anchor. So maybe the first two A-Frames. If I screw up that badly, then he's surely closer by #3 and then it's solid time?

I've not been to Africa yet or hunted anything that would smash my truck up. So I'm a bit new to solids. I'd like to get a bear or two here locally...but this .375 is overkill for them. I really want to come get a dagga boy! Appreciate any and all advice :)

Thanks,
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,