375 H&H Solid/Soft Combo Run Off

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
As many of you know, I'm going on a hunt in Zimbabwe next year. The game to be hunted includes Tuskless Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Hippo On Land, and PG. The question is IF, and that's a big IF, I decided to use a 375 and only travel with one rifle, what solid/soft combo should I choose?
I have Woodleigh 350gr PP Softs paired with Woodleigh 350gr Solids on one hand.
And either 300gr Barnes TSX or Swifts, paired with Cutting Edge brass meplate solids on the other hand.
Many have said that the 350gr bullets are a big step up from 300gr for buffalo and Elephant, but when it comes to mono metal solids, I'm pretty much stuck with 300gr, since NF is no longer readily available in the USA.
I have had great success with both Barnes TSX and Swift A Frame for softs on Buffalo, but I have no experience with solids on any game.
So really it's a question of Woodleigh 350gr Steel Jacketed Solids, VS Cutting Edge 300gr flat point Brass solids for Elephant and Hippo on land. And, 300gr Swifts or TSX VS Woodleigh 350gr PP Softs for buffalo and PG.
I want to stay with the same bullet weight for both solids and softs, so I prefer either 300gr or 350gr for both.
Pictured on left. 300gr Swift, TSX, CE Solid.
Pictured on right. 350gr Woodleigh Solid, and PP Soft.
Thoughts?

20210809_204246.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My M70 .375H&H shoots the 250gr and 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws from Federal, nearly the same POA/POI. The 300gr doesn't group quite as good as the 250gr, but the 250gr is sub MOA with the 300gr being around 1". After 200 yards you can notice a difference between the 2.

With that being said the 300gr Woodleigh Hydro Solid shoots the same POA/POI as the Federal TBBC. Barnes for me grouped high and left a couple inches, and the Federal Power-Shok softpoints were about an 1.5 inches low and right. Group opened to roughly 3.5" at 100 yards. I haven't tried the Swift A-Frames but just snagged a box last week to try before my next hunt.

300gr Woodleigh PP and 300gr Woodleigh Hydros
Just in case there is longer shots on the PG and you will also eliminate magazine length issues with 350gr Solids that are very long.

FTBS is a FMJ type bullet, the meplat is too small and at higher velocities they can rivet or mushroom which affects penetration and performance, especially on elephant. There are better mono-metal solids to use for elephant...think solid brass with a proper meplat and you are on the right track.

Peregrine monolithics.
They sell a 300 grain VRG 3 Bushmasterer expandable and a solid copper bullet in 375, both with the same ballistics and meplat nose. I used the Bushmaster on my buffalo this past January with great success.

Yes, I have used the 700 gr. Peregrine Bushmaster in 577NE. It is excellent. ( I only hunt buffalo these days.)
Also, I have used Swift A-Frames (375HH) and Rhino bullets (7MM) on large PG in the past. Both excellent. Brian

Among what you have :
Soft Point - Swift A Frame 300 Gr
Solid - Cutting Edge Monometal 300 Gr

In the US , there’s one other good option : The Nosler Monometal Safari Solid 300 Gr

If you can get Rhino bullets ( a South African product ) , then :
Soft Point - Rhino Solid Shank 300 Gr
Solid - Rhino Monometal 300 Gr ( they also have a 340 Gr , but I have absolutely no experience with that one )

Peregrine monolithics.
They sell a 300 grain VRG 3 Bushmasterer expandable and a solid copper bullet in 375, both with the same ballistics and meplat nose. I used the Bushmaster on my buffalo this past January with great success.
That is what I am using in my 458. The two bullets have an identical profile, If you look carefully, you can see the brass plunger that initiates expansion on the 'softs'. It is interesting that the big manufacturers havent seen the value of tweaking their designs to make two bullets that shoot to the same point of aim.

I would pick Swift A frame first and Cutting Edge solids. If you can tweak the load, you should be able to get the solids close to same poi. Talk to your PH, Ele will probably be close up and only the hippo might need a little distance so maybe an inch or two wont matter ?

Another random thought- Two scopes and QD mounts ? Little bit risky but if the two bullets impact close together then it wont be a train smash if you get them wrong way round.

300 grain Swift A-Frame and 300 grain Woodliegh Hydro are my choices.

Any of the flat meplat monolith solids would be a perfect start. Pairing with a premium soft like the Barnes TSX or Swift A-Frame would be ideal IMO.

I don’t know if the 350gr is the ticket or not but in Africa bigger is better. I am a Barnes fan but in this case the heavier bullets need to be fully investigated for the Zim Safari.

This is a question as I’ve never hunted hippo or ele - how would the 300 gr TSX perform for these? Given the limited expansion and good penetration…??
I try to keep it simple to avoid mix-ups and POI issues. Wouldn’t the TSX meet all the needs?

This is a question as I’ve never hunted hippo or ele - how would the 300 gr TSX perform for these? Given the limited expansion and good penetration…??
I try to keep it simple to avoid mix-ups and POI issues. Wouldn’t the TSX meet all the needs?
TSX on elephant??? Very very bad idea..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paintingsolution

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you