375 H&H Magnum all round hunting optics

Sirius

Reaction score
Hi everyone new to the forum not so new to hunting. I am in a position to get a good deal on a Swarovski Z8i1-8x24 that I want to mount on my CZ 550 375H&H. The rifle is relatively new to me, but I want to use it as my allround hunting rifle for shots out to 300 meters. Any thoughts on the glass? Is 8x enough magnification? The rifle is definetely capable if I do my bit.

Good day Sirius,
As a shooter of a 375 H&H also, if you want to make that rifle an all arounder from right off the muzzle to as far as you can reliably put the rounds in the kill zone, my suggestion would be a 1-6X or at most 1-8X. Lower magnification for stalking, higher (8 max) for shots in open areas. This is just my opinion and what has worked for me and not chiseled in stone. Either way enjoy that 375!

Guessing from the Z6, 1-6’s that I have; I would assume that Z8, 1-8 would make an outstanding scope for a 375.
8x should be powerful enough for even smaller game animals at 300 meters.
I do not feel under privileged using a 4x to 200 meters.

The Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24 has few peers for a straight tube. The field of view on the low end is excellent with the top end of 8 power being a luxury. That model of scope is long enough to easily allow enough movement between the front and rear bridge on the CZ550 magnum action to achieve perfect eye relief while keeping the front ring behind the objective lens. I would prefer the reticle on the #4 reticle to be a little thicker. My S&B Exos 1-8 edges out the Z8i in that department.
You can't go wrong with either.

Sirius that would be an excellent choice. Fact is high magnification isn't a prerequisite to longer shots. As an example, I shoot Scout rifles with fixed 2.5X scopes. That works well past 300 yards. Bottom line, use what works for you. But think about it before going with more than 8X.
Best Regards,
Rick

My first 375 (also a CZ550) had a Leupold 1.5-5x20 and it worked very well. What I didn't like is not having an illuminated reticle. Currently that rifle/scope combo is serving another AH member quite well.

We moved on from that rifle but currently own two 375's. When my wife saw the Swaro Z8i's, it was over. Hers has a 1.7-13.3x42 and mine has the 1-8x24. She prefers a little more magnification to make up for her poor eyes on longer shots, but does most of her shooting at 4 power. I also keep mine on 4 power most of the time.

I could be on the market for another scope, something a bit lighter for my 375. Currently looking at a Kahles K16i 1-6x24 to fit the bill. Not ready to pull the trigger yet, but it's a consideration.

You will be well served with the Swaro Z8i.

In the past, I have used a fixed 4x Leupold on all my various 375s and that has worked well with no complaints. Fairly recently, to upgrade the glass, I changed out my 375 scopes. My current 375 HHs are a BRNO ZKK 602 and a Winchester M70. On the BRNO, I have a Leupold FXIIIi 1.5-5 mounted with the Med Leupold ring mounts. On the Winchester 70, I have a Leupold FX 3 2.5-8 mounted with mix and match dual dovetail mounts. These combinations seem to work perfectly. The 375 HH, in mid weight, sporter rifles, has just enough recoil that it's wise to plan for enough eye relief.

As to the question of max practical power? I can't imagine needing anything over maybe 4-5X on a 375 HH.

375 HH  rifles.png

Last edited:
It's a very good and popular choice. The only thing I'll add is the field of view will be limited at the upper levels. It might be harder to find game in the scope. The 2.5-8x36 is a fine choice as well.

If it were me and I wanted an all-arounder 375, I'd go for something more like a x36 or x40. Personal choice - I frequently use 6-9x when shooting at game

Good afternoon Sirius,
I have the Z8 .75-6x20 and two of the Z6 1-6 and pleased with all 3 but for the price I prefer the Z6 (nice used ones are $1,000). IMO 6x is plenty of magnification for a 375 - I have 3 rifles in 375, one wears a Z6 and the other two have Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x20. Never felt I needed more for what I do with a 375

Good day Sirius,
As a shooter of a 375 H&H also, if you want to make that rifle an all arounder from right off the muzzle to as far as you can reliably put the rounds in the kill zone, my suggestion would be a 1-6X or at most 1-8X. Lower magnification for stalking, higher (8 max) for shots in open areas. This is just my opinion and what has worked for me and not chiseled in stone. Either way enjoy that 375!
I agree. But because of the DG end of the spectrum go for a really good scope like a Leica Magnus 1-6.4 x 24 or a Swarovski. They both have huge fields of view. Both have an illuminated red dot which is a must for DG and great for everything else. Mount the scope as low as possible which will lessen felt recoil generally because you mount the rifle more snugly.

I am a 1.7-10 or 2-10 guy for 375 and 416 rifles. They have 30-06 ballistic arcs so why not give them scopes that will get you there.

I am a 1.7-10 or 2-10 guy for 375 and 416 rifles. They have 30-06 ballistic arcs so why not give them scopes that will get you there.
I agree to an extent, but normally with 10x the scope gets an ocular bell. I prefer the straight tube from a traditional point of view so if 8 x can get me there I do not necessarily want to go bigger.

If there are any thoughts on DG you want to start on 1 magnification....

Too many over powerfull zoom telescopes will get you in trouble....

Good shooters familiar with there equipment dont need too much magnification....

1-6 is all you need for a 375 in Africa......

Larger magnification is best suited to smaller calibers.

It's a very good and popular choice. The only thing I'll add is the field of view will be limited at the upper levels. It might be harder to find game in the scope. The 2.5-8x36 is a fine choice as well.

If it were me and I wanted an all-arounder 375, I'd go for something more like a x36 or x40. Personal choice - I frequently use 6-9x when shooting at game
Can get interesting when you are 30 yards from DG game with a scope at minimum(if the hunter remembered to dile it down), at 2.5, 3 or 4 as minimum, not needed in Africa anyway.

Too much is alwaus put on muzzle velocity and scope magnification....

99% of the time 1-6x is all you need especially on DG.....

Hunting longer range in open areas on pg may be different but then the 375 H&H would not be the first choice in any case

Hi everyone new to the forum not so new to hunting. I am in a position to get a good deal on a Swarovski Z8i1-8x24 that I want to mount on my CZ 550 375H&H. The rifle is relatively new to me, but I want to use it as my allround hunting rifle for shots out to 300 meters. Any thoughts on the glass? Is 8x enough magnification? The rifle is definetely capable if I do my bit.
With the CZ bridge it is easy to get Talley QD (Quick Detach) rings and have a couple different scopes that remain on target as you switch between the scopes.

I have a 1x-6 for DG and a 2x-12 for PG or North American game. I also prefer red dot reticles.

I'm debating to put a Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x40 or a 1-6X24 Riflescope on my CZ 550, 375 H&H. I'm planning on taking this rifle to Africa next year for plains game, and hopefully a buffalo hunt in the near future.

With the CZ bridge it is easy to get Talley QD (Quick Detach) rings and have a couple different scopes that remain on target as you switch between the scopes.

I have a 1x-6 for DG and a 2x-12 for PG or North American game. I also prefer red dot reticles.
Why do you need a bridge for a CZ 375 to fit a scope? Totally not needed, more stuff that can get in the way hampering reloads, lifting the scope higher up, more screws that can go loose?

You only need proper qd mounts direct to scope and rifle...the simpler the netter for larger bores .

Why do you need a bridge for a CZ 375 to fit a scope? Totally not needed, more stuff that can get in the way hampering reloads, lifting the scope higher up, more screws that can go loose?

You only need proper qd mounts direct to scope and rifle...the simpler the netter for larger bores .
No I mean with the CZ that a base isn’t needed and the QD rings go right on the rifle on the intergral bridge. Maybe bridge is the wrong word.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg