375 H&H for everything

My son, Craig just used my 375 to shoot a fairly big wild bull. 300 grain Nosler partition.
Great caliber.

Congratulations Craig and Dr Ray!

375 and 300 gr bullets have been getting it done since 1911 - 107 years!! I hope when I'm 107 I'm still running and improved, such as this cartridge is!!!
Bullets and powders have improved, thus so has the cartridge. The 375 is to Africa what the 30.06 is to North America - been doing it forever, without the hype, just gets the job done. Everything else is marketing.

I run a 2.5 X 8 on mine because my eyes are getting older,

If you know the velocity (Chronographed) and the BC, the rest is all math (And PRACTICE).

Looking to return, hopefully next summer (2019); this time to Namibia and taking my 375, and mine loves 300 gr Noslers.

BTW - Former CAV trooper too, E/1st Air Cav, 4-9 Cav, 3-6 Air Cav !!!

Again, this combo will also work fine for PG. But if you are dropping all the way down to a 200gr bullet from a .375, that represents a heavy piece of artillery to haul around to shoot bullet weight classes which other rifles do so much better and with much better ballistic coefficients (.300 WinMag and .338 to name just two). Put buff on the license with PG and that is a different story. In that case, the .375 is the ideal one rifle solution.
It's funny how the standard barreled R8 in 375 and a few other lightweight 375s now available, have basically made the idea of needing a 10lb rifle in 375 obsolete. Like you've said many times, especially about the R8, it's like carrying around a typical 30/06. And with today's bullets such as the 250gr TTSX, you're covered for most PG at most sane shooting ranges. Although recoil is still a factor for some. Add in a 300gr Swift, TSX and or a good 300gr solid, and your "30/06" is now capable of hunting the largest game on earth. Pretty versatile for an 8lb rifle!

Not a hand loader. I have always used the federal premium line of ammo for the .375. You can take trophy bonded bearclaws, nosler partitions, and sledgehammer solids for a setup that will handle everything from duiker to elephant. The point of impact shift between the different bullets is negligible at hunting distances.

1to6 x scope 300gr premium expander and 300gr solid for the small stuff you are set. Even up to elephant.

250 to 270gr travels too fast and will destroy a lot of a small pg animal.

Go and look at the drop charts for a 300gr bullet and if sighted correctly tell me you cannot pull off a 300 yard shot at a gemsbuck.....

Way way too much is put on velocity and flatter trajectory.

If you cant do it with a 300gr at 2550fps at 300 yards you are not going to do same with 270gr....

Know your rifle and load and what you can do with it

1to6 x scope 300gr premium expander and 300gr solid for the small stuff you are set. Even up to elephant.

250 to 270gr travels too fast and will destroy a lot of a small pg animal.

Go and look at the drop charts for a 300gr bullet and if sighted correctly tell me you cannot pull off a 300 yard shot at a gemsbuck.....

Way way too much is put on velocity and flatter trajectory.

If you cant do it with a 300gr at 2550fps at 300 yards you are not going to do same with 270gr....

Know your rifle and load and what you can do with it
Agree 100%. 300gr zeroed at 200m, vs 270gr same distance vs say a 30-06 @ 180gr, your chart would look very very similar. True at 300m you may be 2/3 inches lower on the 300gr and 3 inches isn’t that much (seeing that many people use the 3 inch point blank rule). 300m shots are the exception rather than norm in certain areas

This has been a reassuring post as my first safari for a buff cow and PG is getting close. I have loaded my 300gTSX to 2550fps and have a 1.5-6 Zeiss Diavari on top and a 1.25-4 scope in separate rings as a spare. From everyone else’s comments this should work providing I do my bit I’m still hoping to get a load worked up for the 250g TTSX for the PG but I haven’t seen the accuracy I would like with this bullet yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaUrquh

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.