375 H&H Bullet for all Game

+1 for the Barnes TSX, Barnes Solids, and Swift A-frames. I've used:

TTSX in .300 Wby/.300 Win for eland, moose, elk, gemsbok, steenbok, duiker, warthog, wildebeest, etc.
TSX in .416 Rigby for cape buffalo
Barnes solids in .416 Rigby for elephant
Swift A-frame in .375 H&H for giraffe and waterbuck.

All worked well. TTSX in .300 Wby on the little critters was fine. Mostly they punch through. A bit of a wound on the steenbok, but not enough to ruin the cape. .375 H&H is much slower and should be perfectly fine.

Thanks for your replies. Here in Australia it is so bloody hard to get bullets. So if I use a 300 grain TSX for Buffs and Tinys and 270 TTSX for plains? Should the 300 grain TSX not open up OR a 300 grain A Frame that will do all except Genet and Porcupine?
The 300g TSX works very very well on plains game.

What about a Barnes TSX or TTSX?
I understand them to be good as well. I just have zero experience with them so I listed what I know works

I would want the 300 grain not the lighter bullets. As I said… Load for the biggest animal on the list.

I believe the larger frontal mass of the best mushroomed bonded lead core bullets would transfer energy from the bullet to the animal better. But that is speculation on my part though, as I have no experience with the mono-metal bullets, as noted.

Last edited:
What about a Barnes TSX or TTSX?

There is no TTSX in .375… but the TSX is an excellent all around choice… I’ve used 300gr TSX on everything from impala up and never had an issue of any kind…

For the tiny 10 it might be a bit much… but I’d guess it’s just as good/bad as any expanding .375 on them…

Just forget the 270 grain bullets unless you are only hunting plains game or the big cats. For buffalo stick to 300 grain and shoot everything with a 300 grain so as you say, no screwing around with the scope zero.

I had factory Remington Premium 300 grain A Frames printing under an inch with Federal Premium 300 grain Woodliegh Hydro solids. My gun shot tighter groups with Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw ammo. But the above combo regulated to each other better.

If you are hand loading. Get a tough bonded 300 grain bullet shooting like you want and then experiment with 300 grain solids to get them to regulate to the softs.

Good luck on your hunt!

Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 300Gr. Can take everything except elephant.
26CE6565-4430-4FFE-9419-F25A6CCCC84D.jpeg
0AF00DCF-94F6-4975-A7FB-4A60E70BEE59.jpeg
0FDB9367-C542-4D2C-9FC6-9E8F75F7DA5F.jpeg
766DC822-13F3-432A-B078-79ED52656AAB.jpeg

I've shot 4 Tiny 10 with .300 GR Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (TBBC) and 1 with a .300GR Woodleigh Hydro Solid (WHS). The solid was on a Dik Dik and actually did the most damage bc I caught part of the rear leg.

I've used 3 TBBC & 1 WHS on Buffalo. WHS was a pass through all 3 TBBC's were recovered. I've also used TBBC & Swift A-Frame on a Lion. I wouldn't hesitate to use the TBBC on any of the Tiny 10, a buffalo, or a lion. I doubt the A-Frame would expand on the Tiny 10, especially if you shoot them a little back to ensure you don't hit a major bone, and wouldn't hesitate to shoot those either.

My experience with Barnes has been big exit holes, even with smaller calibers like my .257 so I'd probably refrain despite really liking that round.

The 375 H&H mag has been called the queen of calibers. A current writer, Paul Matthues has a book called "40 years with the 375 H&H". Reading almost any book about african hunting that is from the period the 375 was around (the 1920's??) until today will have reference to the 375 as THE caliber for all game not requiring a 40+ caliber. Probably all reloading manuals have data for this caliber. Quoting from the Hodgdon #26 manual "until recently the 375 suffered from lack of bullet variety for handloading, but the reintro of the Nostler Partition, the intro of Speer Africian Grand Slam and the Barnes X-bullets + custom bullets has put new life into this old cartridge."

Your friend has a rifle in a good caliber.

300gr Aframes and the swift solid are a tough combo.

Sorry I’m a newbie with .375 H&H. It could be a stupid question. Does it make a lot of difference 270gr vs 300gr especially on a buffalo?

Not Tiny Ten, but I used the 300gr Swift AF out of a .375 on two impala and a bushbuck. There was expansion, but exit holes were not excessive .As long as you don’t shoot the shoulder, a 300gr Barnes or Swift or solid should do fine for a member of the T-10.
NOTE: A .30/06 180gr Barnes TSX hitting the off shoulder of a Steinbok makes a heck of a mess. Guess how I know.:sneaky:

North Fork softs and solid's print close and are readily available at the moment. If you are a reloader every bit as good as anything on the market. 300 gr all the way, no real reason for the 270 that I can figure.

I used 300gr Barnes TSX paired with 300gr CEB solids for my recent Zimbabwe hunt. Those two bullets shot together in the same group on target, and worked perfectly for Elephant, Buffalo, Bushbuck, Hyena and Baboon. I've also used the 300gr TSX on 4 other Buffalo, lioness, and several species of PG. I'd say you'd be set with the TSX, but could use a solid for the small PG species with no issues.

Not Tiny Ten, but I used the 300gr Swift AF out of a .375 on two impala and a bushbuck. There was expansion, but exit holes were not excessive .As long as you don’t shoot the shoulder, a 300gr Barnes or Swift or solid should do fine for a member of the T-10.
NOTE: A .30/06 180gr Barnes TSX hitting the off shoulder of a Steinbok makes a heck of a mess. Guess how I know.:sneaky:

When I was shooting tiny ten with my 375 the PH advised shooting them midway point of the body to protect the cape. They died instantly with no suffering and it avoided bullet expansion or bone fragments from ruining the pelt.

An a-frame is a handy do all.

Sorry I’m a newbie with .375 H&H. It could be a stupid question. Does it make a lot of difference 270gr vs 300gr especially on a buffalo?
The added grain weight is just giving you a little more KE. I don’t think any PH will tell you not to shoot a 270gr .375 if that’s what you have and have practiced with. If you’re handloading, I think there are more projectile offerings in the 300gr option. I also see way more factory load options in the 300gr option.

@rookhawk my PH’s said the same. Shoot back at the midway point towards the guts. They all died extremely quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.