375 H&H/9.3x62 Buffalo and Plains Game Combo

Well as said do what you want : if i wanted the 375 and 9.6 combo I would load 350 gr in the 375 and your 250s in the 9

Toby, you know that the 375H&H already works on Buffalo. So it has nothing more to prove. Yea, I know that water buffalo in Oz. are different from Cape Buffalo in Africa but what is the point? If it were up to me I'd be taking a 416 of some sort and the 9.3 x 62. I would also consider taking a box of 286 grainers just in case the 416 went down. Although you may not have a matching pair of rifles, they would make yours an excellent choice of calibers. But while you are still tossing around which calibers to take you can still pick up a 404 Jeffery. Now that paired with your 9.3 would be the "cat's meow" in my book.

Consider picking your favorite of the two (as they are virtually identical cartridges,) quick disconnect mounts and two scopes (or simply record the necessary scope adjustments to switch loads and dial in accordingly.) can also simply use 270 grain bullets to do it all. Many 300 solids shoot similarly enough to 270 softs necessitating no further adjustments for DG. If you hand load you can make them shoot identically.

If anyone thinks they can tell the difference in buffalo shot with a 375 and a 9.3x62, both using 300 gr. bullets at 2500 to 2550 then I'll kiss ole spot and give them an hour to draw a crowd. and even with the 9.3s 286 gr. bullet and the 375s 270 or 300 gr. bullets its all but impossible to tell any difference in the end result..It just too close to call in the real world.

If anyone thinks they can tell the difference in buffalo shot with a 375 and a 9.3x62, both using 300 gr. bullets at 2500 to 2550 then I'll kiss ole spot and give them an hour to draw a crowd. and even with the 9.3s 286 gr. bullet and the 375s 270 or 300 gr. bullets its all but impossible to tell any difference in the end result..It just too close to call in the real world.
I've never ran across any 9.3x62 data that yielded 2500 fps with a 300 gr bullet. Most I've seen is around 2300 fps with that weight. Is there a magic powder out there I don't know about?

yes wyatt, the x64 will get there easily, and a bit more if you want it.
bruce.

I've never ran across any 9.3x62 data that yielded 2500 fps with a 300 gr bullet. Most I've seen is around 2300 fps with that weight. Is there a magic powder out there I don't know about?

According to Quickload you could get there with RS60 with 300gr Hornady DGS and almost get there with 300gr A-Frame. I use this powder with 286gr Oryx in my 9.3x74R DR getting 2410-2420fps (measured) while staying well within (calculated) safe pressures and not anywhere near max. I’m not a fan of pushing the reloading game to the max, squeezing extra bit of speed while getting into dangerous territory seems silly. My way of thinking is if the cartridge is insufficient to get the job done safely use a different one.

According to Quickload you could get there with RS60 with 300gr Hornady DGS and almost get there with 300gr A-Frame. I use this powder with 286gr Oryx in my 9.3x74R DR getting 2410-2420fps (measured) while staying well within (calculated) safe pressures and not anywhere near max. I’m not a fan of pushing the reloading game to the max, squeezing extra bit of speed while getting into dangerous territory seems silly. My way of thinking is if the cartridge is insufficient to get the job done safely use a different one.
Yes. That's why I sold my 9.3x62 and stuck with the 375 H&H. What the 9.3 struggles to do, the 375 does easily.

I basically just want to take two rifles. I have them, so I feel I should use them for hunting. Otherwise they just collect dust in the safe. If I take the 9.3 and 375, I'd basically have two rifles that back each other up. They're both light, handy rifles, that shoot very well, and would compliment each other very well. Although I took a Kimber 375 and Winchester 416RM last year with great results. So, whatever I decide, I'll be golden.
I like your logic... With owning almost as many guns as @Bullthrower338 , I have to step up my hunting considerably;)

Personally , I find bringing along a 9.3x62 mm Mauser to be quite redundant if the hunter is already bringing a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum . A .30-06 Springfield or a .300 Winchester Magnum would make for a far better secondary rifle . It would cover a wider range of bases .

Yes.

But do what you like. To me, a 416 pairs better with a 9.3, while the 375 is a “one gun” solution. The 416, if shot well, will be a little better for buff. Any of those chamberings will get the job done, especially with Barnes bullets.

Sakos are great rifles.
I tend to agree. If you're taking a .375 H&H, a 9.3 is pointlessly redundant for that class of cartridge.

Just so everyone's clear, I'm NOT saying the 9.3 is a 'bad' choice. But if I'm taking my .375, it's likely going to be my 'all-around' rifle, and I'll bring my .404 Jeff for the Big Stuff, e.g., Buff.

I’m getting 2450 as measured by chronograph with a 286 gr AFrame. It is not a max load but it is compressed so I have no idea how you would get the listed max load in the case. Stepping up to the 300 gr AFrame my velocity falls off to somewhere around 2300. I’ve never seen such a dramatic shift with such a modest change in bullet weight with any other cartridge. It appears to be a perfectly balanced cartridge with the 286 gr but overburdened with the 300.

Really a moot point as it is incredibly effective with 286 gr A Frames at 2450.

It's fun and interesting to compare the various calibers, bullets and loads for use on various game animals, but I feel my .338WM would be sufficient to take most game animals at a reasonable hunting distance and my .375 H and H to take everything else? I guess that's why I also have a .416, and .458? What's wrong with me (us)? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg