35 Whelen

Thanks BN. I may have to go back to the drawing board with my Whelen.

Rule 303.
Factory spec Whelan. Had an AI most useless AI I ever played with.
I see you live in Brisvagas, if you haven't got any hogdon cfe223, get in touch with Jade at cleaver firearms or Rebel gun works and get hold of some asap because it will not be imported any more. Luckily I hoarded 20 bottles from my gun shop. Nobody else down my way (Gosford) Had heard of it so he had some and ordered more in for me.
Cfe223 works well in my 222, a mates 223, sons 308 and of course the mighty Whelan. My son used 308 with 50grains of cfe223 behind a 150grain accubonds chronoed at 2,900fps in Namibia..
Get hold of some rule 303 you won't be disappointed mate.

For all those worried about my loads attached directly from Speer. In John Barsness's book Big Book of Gun Gack he points out that alliant dropped their load with reloader 15 to a point where it only gave 2,300 fps. He loads from the old alliant data that used 59grains of the same powder for 2,500 fps and has never experienced any problems with said load and can't explain why they dropped the charge.
Screenshot_20191229-221017_Drive.jpg

Rule 303, I just ran a Quick Load "analysis" of a 275 Woodleigh with 52.5 Gr. of IMR 4064 (the powder I use for my Whelen normally) in my 25" barreled Whelen and got projected 2418 FPS. BTW if you want to try a devastating 35 Whelen load on pigs, check out Hornady's 200 Gr. SST Superformance. Be forewarned that it will get your attention!!
Shootist43
If you want a good load that really gets your attention when you pull the trigger look at the Speer reloading site for their 250grain hotcore load with cfe223.
I worked up to the max load of this in my rifle and got just over 2,700fps with this out of my Stevens 200 converted to 35 Whelan, 25 inch 1 in 12 stainless MAB barrel.
Don't worry about a 200gn at 28 to 2900 fps, I can assure you that the 250gn will give you a buzz and let you know it has gone off.
Cheers mate
Bob

Thanks Nosler guy. That was my main concern. I love heavy for caliber bullets, but I don’t know if the extra penetration gained is purely diminishing returns at 280.
@RStien321
You could always go the middle road and get a 275grain Woodleigh PPSP.
Bob

Our Whelen in 700 Remington Classic handles pressures better than our other two on Mauser actions. Our top end load for that rifle - using 4064, (with pressures that are getting to the edge of my comfort level) pushes 250gr bullets chronographed at 2570. Have backed off a grain for my hunting loads, not worth having trouble just trying to gain a few fps. Have never bothered checking any 225 gr loads over the chronograph.
@Nosler guy
My Whelen with a 25inch barrel pushes a 250 grain hotcore to 2,700 chronoed with the load of cfe223 off the Speer reloading site. The 225 accubonds of the nosler site I get a,chronoed 2,850.
225grain Woodleigh PPSP with a load of cfe223 give a chronoed velocity of 2,950 fps.
This is on a,savage 110 action and none are over stressed.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen

What is the biggest animal that you have assassinated with your 35W ?

I believe you have many people really interested in the round.
@Von S.
Many people are already interested in the round. Shootist43 and his family for example.
I'm just trying to bring it up to 21st century performance with new powders that let it achieve its full potential.
Bob

Depends on what your hunting and where your hunting.. would use it on Cape Buffalo and Alaskan Brown Bear, I suspect, prefering the 250 for PG and up to Eland and elk..Maybe the 250 would be just fine on bear for that matter..

If I wanted more bullet, Id go for the 9.3X62 or the .375..

Depends on what your hunting and where your hunting.. would use it on Cape Buffalo and Alaskan Brown Bear, I suspect, prefering the 250 for PG and up to Eland and elk..Maybe the 250 would be just fine on bear for that matter..

If I wanted more bullet, Id go for the 9.3X62 or the .375..
@RayAtkinson
The 35 Whelen has 275 and 310 grainers available if you want more weight for it.
Bob

I have not used the heavies in my Whelen, as said I have only used the 275 in my 35Sambar (35WSM). I have yet to buy any of the 310grainers. The 275 I have not used on any game yet. One hunt I did take them on and there were no pigs to be seen.

The 35Sambar with 70.5 grn of AR2209 (H4350) throws the 275 pills at 2580fps. I would suspect the Whelen would push them out about 2200 to 2250. Just my thinking, no actual testing.
Tell us a bit about your Sambar... what action/barrel did you use? Custom stock? Accuracy? Anything else...

Bob Nelson 35 Whelen,
From reading all the threads and posts here, you’ve seemed to have mastered the .35 Whelen cartridge with several of your really nicely built rifles. Have you ever considered jumping up to a .400 Whelen so as to be able to use heavier bullets? You’d be using the same brass, just a larger diameter and heavier bullet? Probably no justifiable reason to do it, but just for something different?
CEH

Bob Nelson 35 Whelen,
From reading all the threads and posts here, you’ve seemed to have mastered the .35 Whelen cartridge with several of your really nicely built rifles. Have you ever considered jumping up to a .400 Whelen so as to be able to use heavier bullets? You’d be using the same brass, just a larger diameter and heavier bullet? Probably no justifiable reason to do it, but just for something different?
CEH
@CoElkHunter
I actually did a lot of research on the 375 and 400 Whelen improved, both brilliant calibers but as the biggest I would hunt is plains game up to eland and water buff in OZ I didn't think I needed that much. With the 35 loaded to its potential it leaves nothing to be desired.
Bob

Tell us a bit about your Sambar... what action/barrel did you use? Custom stock? Accuracy? Anything else...

The 35 Sambar is a 300WSM necked up to 358. performance is not far off a 358Norma Mag. Closer with light projectiles and a more noticeable difference with the heavy 358 pills. Action is a Ruger 77. Barrel is made by Alan Swan in Brisbane. 3 shot groups range from !&1/2 inches down to .80". Depending on make of bullet. 200 grain Hornady's and 225 & heavier Woodlieghs are the best groupers. I don't include Barnes bullets in that as they average as a good scatter gun. Stock is a standard Ruger synthetic- not boat paddle - stock. Rifle is stainless ceracoted in a drab green.

The draw back with the Sambar is powders. you need different burning rates for different weight pills. 200grain projectile 68grains AR2206H = 3020fps.
225 grn pill 75grns AR2209 =2875fps
250grn pill 73grn AR2209 = 2700fps
275grn pill 70grn AR2209 = 2580fps.

I really need to try some slower powders for the 250 grain and 275grain pills as have not gone beyond the developers recommendations but have been side tracked developing loads for the 338/358RUM

I should have included the Hodgdon names for the AR powders.

AR2206H is H4895
AR2209 is H4350

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg