35 Whelen

Will a Whelen sabilise a 280gr bullet? I wonder about the twist rate.

Scrummy

my three .35 caliber rifles, a Remington 141 in .35 Remington, a Remington 7600 in .35 whelen and a ruger number one in 35 whelen. I have not loaded to much for the as factory ammo shoots very good.

DSCN0227 (2).JPG
DSCN0228 (2).JPG
DSCN0230 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Will a Whelen sabilise a 280gr bullet? I wonder about the twist rate.

Scrummy
It should at around 1:14. That's the twist on most 9.3x62, and 286gr is the sweet spot for those.

For some strange reason Remington rifles are twisted at 1-16" as are Rugers. I have owned a custom 1-14" Ruger No 1 and a 1-12" twist custom Sako AV classic .35 Whelen that theoretically can shoot bullets heavier than 250 gr. accurately, but have never tried.

It should at around 1:14. That's the twist on most 9.3x62, and 286gr is the sweet spot for those.

Sounds good

For some strange reason Remington rifles are twisted at 1-16" as are Rugers. I have owned a custom 1-14" Ruger No 1 and a 1-12" twist custom Sako AV classic .35 Whelen that theoretically can shoot bullets heavier than 250 gr. accurately, but have never tried.

This is what I was driving at and discussed better than I can here: https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/5/4/head-to-head-35-whelen-vs-93x62mm-mauser/

Attachments

• Screenshot (169).png
    Screenshot (169).png
    549.9 KB · Views: 294
  • Screenshot (170).png
    Screenshot (170).png
    591.7 KB · Views: 306
  • Screenshot (171).png
    Screenshot (171).png
    988.1 KB · Views: 320
  • Screenshot (172).png
    Screenshot (172).png
    258.5 KB · Views: 300
  • Screenshot (173).png
    Screenshot (173).png
    484.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Screenshot (174).png
    Screenshot (174).png
    482.9 KB · Views: 301
  • Screenshot (175).png
    Screenshot (175).png
    199.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Screenshot (176).png
    Screenshot (176).png
    182.6 KB · Views: 404
Sounds good

This is what I was driving at and discussed better than I can here: https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/5/4/head-to-head-35-whelen-vs-93x62mm-mauser/

There doesn't appear to be a consensus on what the ideal twist for 35W is.

From my reloading manuals:
Hornady#10 show 1:16 for their loads
Nosler shows 1:14 for theirs
Western Powders shows 1:12
Lyman 1:16
Barnes #3 doesn't list twist rates.

Given the number of folks who've used 35W successfully over the years, it sure seems like pretty much any .358 bullet will stabilize adequately with any of those twist rates. That's definitely a big win for that cartridge.

There doesn't appear to be a consensus on what the ideal twist for 35W is.

From my reloading manuals:
Hornady#10 show 1:16 for their loads
Nosler shows 1:14 for theirs
Western Powders shows 1:12
Lyman 1:16
Barnes #3 doesn't list twist rates.

Given the number of folks who've used 35W successfully over the years, it sure seems like pretty much any .358 bullet will stabilize adequately with any of those twist rates. That's definitely a big win for that cartridge.
I had my 35 Whelen in a Rem 700 Classic out at the range the other day. It really likes the Sierra 225gr Spitzer's. Shoots 5 shot sub MOA groups at 100yds. It also likes the Speer 250gr HCSP's. Again 5 shot cloverleafs. I haven't tried any of the "Premium" brand bullets (Nosler, North Fork, Swift, etc) yet.

I had my 35 Whelen in a Rem 700 Classic out at the range the other day. It really likes the Sierra 225gr Spitzer's. Shoots 5 shot sub MOA groups at 100yds. It also likes the Speer 250gr HCSP's. Again 5 shot cloverleafs. I haven't tried any of the "Premium" brand bullets (Nosler, North Fork, Swift, etc) yet.
We must own the Same Remington. I haven't messed with 250s but I get the same results shooting 225s

My Nosler M48 in 35 Whelen shoots factory Federal 225 TBBCs so we’ll I haven’t tried to load for it. Haven’t shot over 200 yards yet, but it’s a tack driver to that distance. It’s going to Africa in 2019 for black wildebeest, warthog, and nyala. I think it would be perfect for kudu, zebra, wildebeest, and waterbuck.

My Whelen is based on a Rem 700 but with a Walther barrel, 1 in 12 twist. One of the most accurate rifles I have. Woodleigh make 275 grain and 310 grain bullets of 358 cal. I use the 250 grain bullets, if I want to go heavier I pull out my 35Sambar for the 275's. They would work well in the Whelen.

Rule 303, I for one would be very interested in hearing / reading about your experience using 275 gr and or 310 gr Woodleighs in your 35 Whelen. Most African PHs subscribe to "big and slow" theory rather than the "lighter / faster alternatives. If you try them please post your results.

Rule 303, I for one would be very interested in hearing / reading about your experience using 275 gr and or 310 gr Woodleighs in your 35 Whelen. Most African PHs subscribe to "big and slow" theory rather than the "lighter / faster alternatives. If you try them please post your results.

I have not used the heavies in my Whelen, as said I have only used the 275 in my 35Sambar (35WSM). I have yet to buy any of the 310grainers. The 275 I have not used on any game yet. One hunt I did take them on and there were no pigs to be seen.

The 35Sambar with 70.5 grn of AR2209 (H4350) throws the 275 pills at 2580fps. I would suspect the Whelen would push them out about 2200 to 2250. Just my thinking, no actual testing.

Rule 303, I just ran a Quick Load "analysis" of a 275 Woodleigh with 52.5 Gr. of IMR 4064 (the powder I use for my Whelen normally) in my 25" barreled Whelen and got projected 2418 FPS. BTW if you want to try a devastating 35 Whelen load on pigs, check out Hornady's 200 Gr. SST Superformance. Be forewarned that it will get your attention!!

Though I'm a tad late to the discussion, I thought I'd add my experience to the fold

I shot a Ruger No 1 in 35W with a 1-12 twist barrel. So have the ability to stabilize the heavy for caliber bullets. Was taught to shoot once and use enough gun. If you get within reasonable range, this gun and round will stop anything I hunt

My heavy timber round for elk and bear is the Woodleigh 310 ahead of 57 grains of RL15. More open ridgelines will have me using the 275 grain with a similar charge. For deer I switch to the 225 Bear Claws. Don't really need to but it tends to anchor them with good expansion

Once again......I have the proper twist to stabilize the Woodleighs. This year I'm going to work up a good load for the 270 North Fork bullets. That should be simply devastating.

This round breeds confidence and the heavies turn that into results

Bobz35W, I like your style. BUT... I just ran your 57 Gr. of RL -15 pushing a 310 Gr. Woodleigh through QuickLoad. The max. pressure generated is 38% above the max. pressure recommended for the Whelen.
The Ruger No. 1 has a very robust design. I seriously doubt that a bolt actioned rifle can safely handle it.

Bobz35W, I like your style. BUT... I just ran your 57 Gr. of RL -15 pushing a 310 Gr. Woodleigh through QuickLoad. The max. pressure generated is 38% above the max. pressure recommended for the Whelen.
The Ruger No. 1 has a very robust design. I seriously doubt that a bolt actioned rifle can safely handle it.

Shootist....
Try a beginning load of 51 grains. In a bolt you will likely top out around 53. But as long as you can stabilize the bullet, higher speed isn't needed.

Both the Ruger No.1 and a modern bolt rifle should be of equal strength and certainly will handle some high pressures. The load referenced above sounds like a bit of a wild one to me as well, with that heavy of a bullet. Velocity wasn't mentioned but it must be pretty impressive. R15 is a good match for the Whelen and similar rounds, 9.3 etc. But I could find nothing like that charge in any books I have, especially since most don't load more than 250 grs in a Whelen to start with. I would be very curious of the speed of that load.

Yes and AH
This load was shared with me back in 2012 by reloading friend who also loves the 35W. It was a max load straight out of a Woodleigh loading manual. I do agree it is hot (reminds me of old rocks and dynamite loads from the old days of edge-on silhouette days). But my Number 1 handles it and it shoots well. I don't have access to a chrono, but suspect velocity close to 2450. But as we all know....310 data on the .35W is hard to come by as most rifles rate of twist doesn't stabilize it. Nor do many hunters utilize such a load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg