35 Whelen vs 9.3x62

Nothing ventured nothing gained. The 9.3x62 was killing dangerous game for 40 years until a little dust up called WWII disrupted ammunition supplies. I don't believe they started armor plating the critters after the war.
People were still killing DG with .4xx and .5xx calibers prior to WWII, not everyone was using rat calibers. The other thing is prior to WWII if one wounded an animal and it escaped it did not cost people $5K - $7K in trophy fees. So, in this case you gain extra fees if your 9.3 is not sufficient. There is no upside to using a marginal caliber.

No, but apparently over the millenia, game animals in Africa developed a membrane under their skin similar to an aramid fiber. This requires high tech (expensive) bullets to be able to penetrate the membrane and into their vitals. Neither the 9.3x62 or .35 Whelen have available bullets that meet that criteria? Sorry for the bad news.
@CoElkHunter
I'm that's the case grasshopper you best be leaving that anemic little 338 at home.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
I'm that's the case grasshopper you best be leaving that anemic little 338 at home.
Bob
Bob,
This doesn't apply to the .338 Winchester Magnum. Remington designed the 225gr Core Lokt years ago to penetrate the aramid fiber membrane of the African PG animals. They also work well on elk. I also have some 225gr Core Lokt "bonded" bullets, but I'd be afraid of over penetration and killing something behind the animal I was shooting at. Maybe best to save those for bison, buffalo or gaur.
CEH

Bob,
This doesn't apply to the .338 Winchester Magnum. Remington designed the 225gr Core Lokt years ago to penetrate the aramid fiber membrane of the African PG animals. They also work well on elk. I also have some 225gr Core Lokt "bonded" bullets, but I'd be afraid of over penetration and killing something behind the animal I was shooting at. Maybe best to save those for bison, buffalo or gaur.
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Ah grasshopper that must have been before the amarid fibre under the skin and the gun writers were realists. You did tell me you have had the rifle a long time.
Sorry grasshopper our Whelen,9.3 and your little 338 just don't cut it any more.
We need a 33 or 25 Nosler or ultra mag of some sort the kill what we used to.
Stuff it I think I will just two a 105mm howitzer bush and be done with it. That should be enough gun
Bob

@CoElkHunter
Ah grasshopper that must have been before the amarid fibre under the skin and the gun writers were realists. You did tell me you have had the rifle a long time.
Sorry grasshopper our Whelen,9.3 and your little 338 just don't cut it any more.
We need a 33 or 25 Nosler or ultra mag of some sort the kill what we used to.
Stuff it I think I will just two a 105mm howitzer bush and be done with it. That should be enough gun
Bob
That's precisely why I bought a .458 Lott. No wait I bought that to gain perspective on migraine headaches.

There is a lot of perspective being revealed in the crazy greed of the states charging trophy fees for wounded animals. I don't agree with senseless suffering. I also think that some of these places are looking to scrape every last drop of blood from the stone. "If it pays it stays." Otherwise they'd cut it down with AKs to feed people and make room for some failure bound project.

Everyone that’s anyone in the gun world knows that it has to be a super dynamic wasp waisted hydrofixet whiz banger 6.5 gettalong magnum or it won’t kill anything in Africa, or America for that matter.... gun writers get paid to sell the newest gadgets on the market and to many people don’t know enough to not fall for it.

Speer has published data for the 35 Whelen using Power Pro 2000MR that get 2900 FPS With 250 a grain bullet
No, thats with the 225 gr bullet, they list 2700 with the 250. 250 at 2900 is over 4600 ME. I know its a great round but it aint that great.

Speer has published data for the 35 Whelen using Power Pro 2000MR that get 2900 FPS With 250 a grain bullet
@jwp475
Speer lists a compressed load of power pro 2000MR at 2709 fps not 2,900. You just can't get enough of that powder in the case to do it. I get close enough to 2,700 fps with CFE223 in my Whelen and a 25 inch barrel.
Bob

No, thats with the 225 gr bullet, they list 2700 with the 250. 250 at 2900 is over 4600 ME. I know its a great round but it aint that great.
@sestoppelman
Even I can't get the 250 to go that well and you know what I like .
Bob

I can get my Ruger African (not Lipsey) going 2650 for with a 250 grain Nosler Accubonds using RL15. Shoots great, I haven't killed anything with it yet, hoping to change that next year in RSA.

I just traded into a Nosler Outfitter in 35 Whelen, it's supposed to shoot bugholes with 225's. It will be a mate to a Nosler Outfitter in 30-06 that I also haven't had the chance to shoot.

I can get my Ruger African (not Lipsey) going 2650 for with a 250 grain Nosler Accubonds using RL15. Shoots great, I haven't killed anything with it yet, hoping to change that next year in RSA.

I just traded into a Nosler Outfitter in 35 Whelen, it's supposed to shoot bugholes with 225's. It will be a mate to a Nosler Outfitter in 30-06 that I also haven't had the chance to shoot.
@GSP814
Anything you hit with those 250 grainers is definitely going to know about it.
Another good one is the 225 grain accubond at 2,900 fps. .
I've killed game in Namibia with both 225s and 250s (not partition) and it definitely did the job.
Bob

I carn’t comment on the 35 Whelen and will leave that to my mate Mr Bob Whelen, but I did have a Mauser 66 with a 9.3x62 and the 9.3 x64 barrel. Using a load given to me by my hunting buddy Nick Harvey I had the 293 gr Tug doing just over 2400 fps out of a 23.5” barrel in the 62 and 2625 fps in the 25.5” 64 barrel.
Ken

I carn’t comment on the 35 Whelen and will leave that to my mate Mr Bob Whelen, but I did have a Mauser 66 with a 9.3x62 and the 9.3 x64 barrel. Using a load given to me by my hunting buddy Nick Harvey I had the 293 gr Tug doing just over 2400 fps out of a 23.5” barrel in the 62 and 2625 fps in the 25.5” 64 barrel.
Ken
@K95
Those loads are going to put some serious hurt on game Ken.
Bob

Since I had not heard of either the 9.3 or .35 W, I just used an inherited .338 Win Mag with 230grain Winchester Factory loads with fail safe bullets and had one shot kills on plains game on up to Eland.
Plus my 6x6 elk bull.
Then I skipped again on to .405 and .458 Winchester and never looked back. .

Since I had not heard of either the 9.3 or .35 W, I just used an inherited .338 Win Mag with 230grain Winchester Factory loads with fail safe bullets and had one shot kills on plains game on up to Eland.
Plus my 6x6 elk bull.
Then I skipped again on to .405 and .458 Winchester and never looked back. .
@crs
The fail-safe was the best game bullet Winchester ever made. It's a crying shame it's no longer available.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg