.338 Federal

What about the 9.3x62? Just stick to 232 and 250 gr bullets. Its close to the 375 yes, but running the lighter bullets its about perfect for the range and weight of game

Interestingly, there is no practical difference between 338 WM, 35W, and 9.3x62 when shooting 250 gr bullets.

232 gr Normas look very good at first blush, until you look at the very low BCs. They slow down in a hurry. If Swift made a 250 gr .366 Scirocco II, now that would be something worth looking at.

Interestingly, there is no practical difference between 338 WM, 35W, and 9.3x62 when shooting 250 gr bullets.

232 gr Normas look very good at first blush, until you look at the very low BCs. They slow down in a hurry. If Swift made a 250 gr .366 Scirocco II, now that would be something worth looking at.

Low BC means nothing under 300 yards, which is the max distance stated by the OP. That's why I brought the 232 up

Just like the .338 Win Mag, massive overlap with a .375 H&H. I can shoot 235 and 250 grain bullets from my .375 at higher speeds with little difference in recoil between those and a 9.3x62. I don't need two heavy medium bores. I need something to fill that gap so I was looking for experience with the .338 federal. I like how handy those rifles are and the brass can be made from all the .308 brass laying around at my local range.

Ok, if we are really picking fly poop out of the pepper, cut 5mm's off and go 9.3x57. I think that meets your requirements pretty well, is s great piece of history, and can be had fairly cheap. It's also an interesting topic for gun chats. Simpsons LTD usually has several Husky 9.3x57's available for a great price

Attachments

• Screenshot (362).png
    Screenshot (362).png
    454.3 KB · Views: 104
Low BC means nothing under 300 yards, which is the max distance stated by the OP. That's why I brought the 232 up
In general, I agree. But BC on Oryx 232 is so low (about .26), velocity is already at 2K fps at 200 yds.

I think Oryx is an awesome bullet, but like TSX, they are short range only out of non-magnums.

The big difference between these rounds is RECOIL the Whelen produces much less recoil than the 338 or the 9.3x62.

The big difference between these rounds is RECOIL the Whelen produces much less recoil than the 338 or the 9.3x62.

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

I think because in similar weight rifles, less powder means less recoil

I think because in similar weight rifles, less powder means less recoil

Exactly. But I think you have it backwards.

The 338 Federal uses a short case (308 win) with 45g of powder. The Whelen and the 9.3 use a larger case (30-06) with 55g of powder and heavier bullets.

Sorry, yOur correct. You are Talking about the 338 WM NOT the 338FED!

That’s what I get for not reading the entire thread again. My bad...

The 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 are near twins. The ONLY way the 9.3 produces more recoil is if you're using 286, 300, or 320 gr bullets. With a 250 gr bullet, especially considering the 9.3 is loadedto lower pressure, we are talking a few grains difference in powder. For all practical purpose, they really are the same cartridge with slightly different bullet weights.

So I found a nice New Haven Win Model 70 in .300 Win Mag. It seems to be the consensus that that caliber will be more versatile than a .338 Federal so I might throw a bid in there for that. Its a smoking deal and the stock just has a few dings. That doesn't matter as I may overhaul the stock and rechecker it in an english style anyway. Also, I will likely shorten the barrel from 26" down to a more manageable 23" and reblue it.... I just can't leave well enough alone.

So after people made me doubt the .338 federal... (Thanks AH community) I bit the bullet and bid on this and I WON! (kind of ironic that we say we won an auction since all we did was win the opportunity to pay the most for something..:rolleyes:)

Anyway... Say hello to my new-to-me elk rifle in .300 win mag!

pix444203497.jpg

pix407796797.jpg

pix865466780.jpg

pix671621211.jpg

pix845105552.jpg

Shes a diamond in the rough. Recoil pad needs to be sanded to fit so I will likely take the finish on the stock down, maybe rechecker it, and there is a worn spot on the barrel so I may rust blue the whole barrel after I cut 3" off of it. But the bore looks like new and I have a bunch of brass, bullets and dies coming. It will ultimately get a set of NECG Irons and a barrel band sling swivel in true african style... I just can't leave well enough alone.

Anywho... now I am looking for load data for elk. I was thinking of a 165 grain Barnes TTSX at about 3,000 fps or a 180 grain partition or accubond at 2,900fps. What have the guys who have hunted elk used?

Attachments

• pix865466780.jpg
    pix865466780.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 96
  • pix845105552.jpg
    pix845105552.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 85
  • pix671621211.jpg
    pix671621211.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 93
  • pix444203497.jpg
    pix444203497.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 93
  • pix407796797.jpg
    pix407796797.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
That's onv the slower side for the 165, but spot on for a 180 @23". I think you'll do great with the NP or something like the Aframe.

I personally prefer 165's for most any 30, especially fast 30's. Nothing wrong with a 180, but I like the speed/trajectory and lower recoil of the 165's. If I want more power, I grab a bigger caliber.

Congrats on the new addition.
Sounds like you have your winter project all lined up.
Good luck with the re-build and post some pics as you go along.

As far as an elk load, you may just want to see what shoots well in your rifle first.
Some rifles just don't like some ammo for whatever reason and accuracy suffers.
300 yards is my max when shooting at game, and that can be a reasonable shot on elk with 300WM.
I also don't reload, so I would default to 200gr Swift A-Frames or 200gr Norma Oryx.
The heavier bullets leave the barrel slower, but retain more energy and speed at longer ranges.
Both of these will give more than 2000 ft-lb for elk at 300 yards.
Plus they will both be moving at more than 2000 ft/sec to ensure proper performance at that distance.
I have read that 1500 ft-lb is commonly called the minimum energy to harvest elk, which I believe is reasonable but I prefer just a bit more.

So I got that Winchester M70 in. I installed a sand-to-fit recoil pad. I am cutting it back to 23" tonight after which it will be reblued. Other than that, the rifle is beautiful! Anyway, I took it out to shoot it yesterday and burned through about half a box of ammo. I didn't have a bench so it was just plinking. Wow! I was expecting more recoil. That round is a kitten! I don't honestly think it kicks that much harder than my 6.5x55. I took it all the way out to 350 yards and It shoots really flat! I am glad you guys talked me out of a .338 Federal. That .300 WM is a peach!

Chris G, I'm glad you are enjoying your new toy. Please be sure to post before and after photos of it once you get it where you want it to be.

Chris G, I'm glad you are enjoying your new toy. Please be sure to post before and after photos of it once you get it where you want it to be.
Will do... Although I can't guarantee that it will ever be where I want it to be... ultimately it will get:

NECG front sight ramp with blade
Either a Dakota or NECG Rear sight base with V blade sight regulated to 150 yards.
barrel band sling swivel
Stock will either be replaced with a new one or refit and refinished in an english style with english style wraparound checkering
Aluminum trigger guard replaced by blued steel one.
all steel parts ultimately reblued with rust blue method
while I am at replacing the stock, I may TIG on a new bolt handle that is straight in the Rigby Style.

Being a tinkerer, I just can't leave well enough alone. And I always see tools as great investment so I am always accruing more and more of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg