338-378 KT

WoodencrossIII

AH veteran
Joined
Mar 19, 2021
Messages
197
Reaction score
190
Location
Southwest WA
Hello Gents

I recently purchased a new toy, it’s a custom build on an Interarms whitworth action. Chambered in 338-378 Kieth Thompson. Currently I don’t have access to my reloading manuals and I’m just curious if anyone would have info either from older manuals or a cartridges of the world book? The rifle is a sweet setup with a nice leupold 6,5-18 with turrets for elevation, has a 32” barrel with a break cane with brass and dies too. Thanks again hope to hear something
 
Nice yeah it will work, just wondering if anyone has any info on it let me know. I’m currently not staying where my reloading manuals are at my house I’ll be back home next week but in the meanwhile I was curious if anyone had a manual or info on it.
 
Well for what it’s worth I found out about the rifle I got today, it’s a wildcat built by a smith that’s passed away the cartridge is called a 338-378 whizbang. I spoke to some guys and found this all out. Thanks again
 
I shared an elk hunt with a guy that had one on the hunt. I thought it was massive overkill at the time.
 
I guess some like what they do I personally think it’s perfect and especially for where I hunt, I watched a bull get shot by a 300 wsm at 400 yards and they had to hit him several times. Elk are tough and dead is dead no such thing as over dead so using a cartridge that carries a killing capability at further range is good. These big rounds were designed for such especially hunting in the west where shots can be more further than not and nothing worse than a wounded animal. I know I’m happy with it and it’s been something I’ve looked for for a long time. I guess a guy could always just hunt everything with a 375 H&H.
 
I think it’s funny though how if someone has a rifle and a cartridge capable of long distance along with optic capability that it’s somehow too much. I have personally used on a target nonetheless and not a game animal but I was shooting a nosler m48 pistol chambered in 6.5 creedmoor at 600 yards on a man silhouette target with some weaver classic with turrets. We were hitting that thing with every shot inside an easy ten inch group of not tighter. When animals don’t know your there and they are not spooked and a shot is placed in the kill zone of lethality to me that’s the best, really skill is utilized on both sides of the spectrum long distance shots take skill and to get close takes skill as well and there are people who can and do both. The biggest buck I’ve killed todate was shot with a 6.5 creedmoor at 267 yards hit him and killed him with one shot, I wouldn’t try that though with that same setup on bigger game probably, I won’t hesitate to use this whizbang on elk deer bear or anything where legal at further distances, that’s what this cartridge is designed for. 500 plus yards on elk is what it was designed for and where I live that’s easily done if not further given the vastness of some valleys and mountainsides. Anyhow, I know that for here on AH many men have giant guns made for taking the planets largest game, I have owned them myself. I’d rather have a really big gun and do my part and let the cartridge do its part given the right bullet which I believe in wholeheartedly I’m excited to achieve the goal of knocking over an elk with it. My last elk hunt wasn’t a success in that I filled my tag but it was a success on learning what equipment I should have and would like to have in the future because I was further out than my current capabilities at the time but I’ll go out again this year Lord willing with better equipment and fill the tag have the enjoyment, the experience the meat.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,933
Members
169,652
Latest member
relianceenvironmentalllc
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top