.308 Rifle help

Decided to get a .308 but can't decide between Tikka T3x, Savage 110 and Sauer 100.
If anyone has expirience with those or any other good 308 rifles I'd be very thankful since its my first .308 purchase.
Three options I stopped on mostly 'cause those are available/going to be available soon at my local gun store(so I can test 'em before buying). Going to be renting those to try em out on the range ofc, but any advice is welcome since you can't always know how good rifle going to perform on the hunt compared to gun range.

Budget is around 1000-1.500$ so keep that in mind. Thanks in advance for all the help and advice!
@Robharris.
As much as I think the others are good my vote goes to the Savage 10. Cheaper than the others usually very accurate straight from the box and gives you more money for a better scope like a meopta 3.5 to 10 x44.
Bob

UT really depends on what you are going to use it for. Every gun manufactured today comes in 308 so why limit yourself. Choose one that suits the purpose you are going to use it for. Good luck in your quest and be safe with your new firearm.

I have had a Sauer 100 nice rifle, but a bit plasticity pressed in bbl not able to be re-barreled all cals long action, have a tikka t3x screwed in bbl all cals long action, again bits of plastic in some parts & a plastic magazine . Howa 1500 & Weatherby Vanguard all metal short or long action, i have a 308 Howa HS precision stock cerakote factory rifle, moa all day, love it avail in walnut stock also, the Howa & the Vanguard are built in Japan very good machining, hammer forged bbls good adjustable triggers, M16 style extractor, traditional hinged floor plate & magazine assembly they leave the savage 110 for dead.
The mauser m18 and Sauer 100 for usa market are threaded on barrels.

I have no experience with Savage or Sauer, and all my Tikka's, 300 wsm, 6.5 creed are safe queens. Just cannot get past taking weapon OFF safe to load and unload. They are/were the most accurate out of box rifles I have ever owned. If there is ANY chance of ever using them in cold weather do as Tikka says, remove bolt and firing pin and clean out Tikka's grease and oil, it will solidify and stop firing from working. Cost me a nice buck in Northern BC.

As for picking a weapon, that should be chosen on what you like in a firearm, what you are familiar with. Tang, rocker, wing safety, bolt lock or not. After my hiccup with Tikka's I returned to what I like most. Replaced the Tikka's with older and customised Remington 700's. Presented with a deal, did cost a little more but now I have what I enjoy most and always reach for when off hunting.

MB

My suggestion is to look for good used M70 Winchester. A pre 64 would be even better. They are for sure not going to go down in value like many new guns will.
I have the same rifle as @crs but mine is 30-06. I hope it never leaves me.

If you reload, 56 grains of H4350 and a Hornady 150 gives 308W velocity (2,786 fps) in my T3X 30-06 with very good accuracy. The same load also works just as well in a couple of friend's 06s - another T3X and a Ruger Americam. Moderate loads of 4895 (either one) also work well with 150s at 308 velocity (and under).

180 gr A-Frames are my proven 30-06 plains game load, but serious practice from the sticks with 150s is way more pleasant.
Varget is a much better powder for a 308. In a 24" barrel I'm getting 2995 with 155s with a lot less powder.

Are you sure you are loading 56 grs? I would not thing that would fit in a 308 case.

Varget is a much better powder for a 308. In a 24" barrel I'm getting 2995 with 155s with a lot less powder.

Are you sure you are loading 56 grs? I would not thing that would fit in a 308 case.
That post was about about getting 308 Velociry in a 30-06.

Makes a great practice load for shooting from the sticks. Trajectory is similar to my 30-06 180 gr A-Frame load, btw.

My preferred powders for the 308 are Benchmark for 150s (another practice load) and RL17 for 165 A-Frames.

That post was about about getting 308 Velociry in a 30-06.

Makes a great practice load for shooting from the sticks. Trajectory is similar to my 30-06 180 gr A-Frame load, btw.

My preferred powders for the 308 are Benchmark for 150s (another practice load) and RL17 for 165 A-Frames.
I haven't even had anything to drink... my apologies

@Just Gina has a youth model Tika T3 on 308 and shoots it like sniper with a custom gun;)

I had a Savage 6.5 CM that shot 1/2 moa but I just couldn't not get used to that clunky bolt and the round kind of popping out if the magazine, bouncing around as the bolt shoved it home. Never malfunctioned and always shot lights out. But I just didn't like it so traded it on a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator.

I also like a wood stock, preferably a nice one, for Africa. I don't go just to shoot animals. O go for the enjoyment and full experience. To me that is enhanced if I have some nicely blued steel fitted well into a beautiful piece of Walnut:)

And I fully agree for Africa, a 30-06 has advantages over a 308. But that is just my opinion;)

Steyr Scout

If those are the rifles you are set on, personally, I would go Sauer, I have their 404 model with a few barrels. The quality is next level, even on the cheaper 100 models. Far better than other rilfes in that class. But go play with them and get what fits and feels right for you. I don't like Tika, as they don't suit me for instance.

All the rifles you are looking at will serve you well. Only thing I'd add is take a look at the type of hunting you see yourself doing and tailor the rifle to your needs. Nothing beats the looks of walnut and blue until you go to Alaska and can watch the rust grow on it. Stainless & synthetic is a great option as well. Or having to carry a target/varmint rifle on a stalking hunt. Keeping the (bare rifle) weight around 7# is a good start.

Brands I would trust out of the box in your price range (in no particular order)...Kimber, Winchester, Bergera, Mauser, Weatherby, Tikka, Savage, Benelli, Browning, Sako, Ruger, Sauer and Franchi. Some are better than others but you need to find out what EXACTLY you are looking for when it comes to features and what you want. Trigger, barrel length/material, stock material, aftermarket accessories...lots of things to get narrowed down.

There are over 1600 rifles on GB right now in 308WIN for under $1500...surely there is one out there for you.

Personally, I believe you would be wise to at least look at a 30-06 as another option. Especially if you plan on hunting Africa with it. It's a classic caliber and can shoot the heavier bullets. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Decided to get a .308 but can't decide between Tikka T3x, Savage 110 and Sauer 100.
If anyone has expirience with those or any other good 308 rifles I'd be very thankful since its my first .308 purchase.
Three options I stopped on mostly 'cause those are available/going to be available soon at my local gun store(so I can test 'em before buying). Going to be renting those to try em out on the range ofc, but any advice is welcome since you can't always know how good rifle going to perform on the hunt compared to gun range.

Budget is around 1000-1.500$ so keep that in mind. Thanks in advance for all the help and advice!
I have an excellent shape norinco sks ,pinnacle of vintage preppers like a time machine to the 90' s clean bore , numbers matching , ramline stock , decent scope , good shooter located in college station being having issues with the message system if its up its available [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an excellent shape norinco sks ,pinnacle of vintage preppers like a time machine to the 90' s clean bore , numbers matching , ramline stock , decent scope , good shooter located in college station being having issues with the message system if its up its available [redacted]
Hi @speedfire, Your private information was removed from your post for privacy reasons. If you want to provide someone your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system, thank you.

As per our posting guidelines:
It is not okay to post your own personal information or post links to your personal information, including but not limited to email addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses or identification numbers. If you want to provide someone else your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system.

Brands I would trust out of the box in your price range (in no particular order)...Kimber, Winchester, Bergera, Mauser, Weatherby, Tikka, Savage, Benelli, Browning, Sako, Ruger, Sauer and Franchi. Some are better than others....
I have the Franchi in 308 and while it works very well as a "Practice" rifle, it would be way down the list as far as hunting goes.

PROS: Good accuracy, trigger and ergonomics- its easy to shoot well. It came with a threaded barrel. Price - I bought it to ride hard and put up wet...and leave in the truck.

I'm coming up on 2k rounds fired - mostly Aussie Surplus 7.62x51. Even ran a few yesterday at 425 yards from the sticks (18" gong).

CONS:
1) Clunky bolt and weak combination bolt stop/bolt release. The bolt fell out and landed in our nice sand on one occasion and has come out in my hand a time or two.

2) Awakard to load the fixed magazine. Loading port is somewhat small, but the biggie is the cartridge wants to seat further back than the rear of the magazine's opening, causing a loading cluster. You have to "look" the round into the magazine box.

A design fix or two - possibly already done - and it could be a great choice at entry level pricing.

I have the Franchi in 308 and while it works very well as a "Practice" rifle, it would be way down the list as far as hunting goes.

PROS: Good accuracy, trigger and ergonomics- its easy to shoot well. It came with a threaded barrel. Price - I bought it to ride hard and put up wet...and leave in the truck.

I'm coming up on 2k rounds fired - mostly Aussie Surplus 7.62x51. Even ran a few yesterday at 425 yards from the sticks (18" gong).

CONS:
1) Clunky bolt and weak combination bolt stop/bolt release. The bolt fell out and landed in our nice sand on one occasion and has come out in my hand a time or two.

2) Awakard to load the fixed magazine. Loading port is somewhat small, but the biggie is the cartridge wants to seat further back than the rear of the magazine's opening, causing a loading cluster. You have to "look" the round into the magazine box.

A design fix or two - possibly already done - and it could be a great choice at entry level pricing.
Fair enough. A friend of mine has one but hasn't experienced what you have so far. He says it's dead on accurate and loves the trigger.

Glad to hear about someone putting a rifle to a REAL test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg