Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hello all,

So against the flow of play I have found a 308 ruger scout that I'm sure will make for a great truck/work rifle along with the pump. I'm looking to load it with 125 Speer TNT's for most of the work uses, but I'm looking for a heavier, general use projectile as well in the 160-180gr range. This load will be for body shots on larger game (wildebeest, kudu, hartebeest) at anything from 50-400m so I'm looking for decent BC and velocity around 2700 or higher, if possilbe.

Oddly excited for this FA, throwing on a suppressor, 2-10 scope, bipod and sling. Really suspect it's going to make for a cracker of a work companion. I foresee many an unhappy baboon and piggy.

308s love 168s, try 42gs of Win 748, that got me my tightest groups and was the load I used for my Plains game
45gs of IMR4350 work pretty well to

".308s love 168s"
So true for my .308! They work for everything from coyotes to elk.
So well, that I stopped reloading for it 30 years ago and just used Hornady Light Magnum and now Super Performance ammo. Same ballistics for the many years.

My reloading time goes only to special situations such as getting heavy for caliber bullets to regulate in a double rifle originally regulated for lighter bullets. So far, so good.

165gr projectiles and the SOMCHEM equivalent of Hodgdon Varget or Alliant RL15 is where I'd start. My son's .308 uses Varget and 165gr North Fork softs (available in RSA by the way). He shot a one hole group at 100 yards first time out.....really.

Barnes 168 TSX. Winchester cases are a bit thinner and can hold a grain or two or maybe three more powder with the same pressure. I use Hogdon Superformance powder, but I don't know if that's available in RSA.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but if this is the Scout with a 16.5 inch barrel you're going to have to work hard to get 2700 fps or higher with 160-180 grain bullets from a 308. Those are reasonable expectations for a full length barrel, but expect to lose 200-300 fps with the barrel shortened this much.

I haven't used any of the newer powders with the 308, primarily because I have been satisfied with the older ball powders. I like W748, H335 & Bl-C2 with either 165 or 180 grain bullets. So that I don't have to cry when I shoot the expensive bullets for skill building, I use bulk Winchester Power Points for most loads.

Can't go wrong with Barnes 168gr TTSX, I'm pushing mine at around 2600 FPS out of a 20" barrel with 42.5gr of H4895

I haven't developed any handloads for it, but my Ruger scout has done well with the factory Nosler Trophy Grade 165 grain Accubond and the Hornady ELD-X 178 grain loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois