.300H&H Buffalo with a 180 grain Barnes TSX

I always liked the 30/338 which the win mag would have been if not for the 308 Norma mag.

Definitely on the hit list... As my list grows!

Can you expound on this? Not familiar with the history.
The 30/338 was the 338 win necked down to 30 Cal. It's wildcat round that's been around ever since Winchester brought out the 264 and 458 win mags. Norma then brought out the 308 Norma Mag. Which is basically the same as the 30/338 wildcat. So when Winchester came out with their 300 mag. They lengthen the case and shortened the neck so it couldn't be fired in the Norma Mag. I have always heard that the original 300 mag would have been the 300/338 but Norma beat them to it.

Congrats on a very fine bull.

BenKK, I am curious, what calibers do australians use on these critters....anything .30-06 and up..??

BTW, very nice rifle and buff...would love to hunt them myself one day...(y)

BenKK, I am curious, what calibers do australians use on these critters....anything .30-06 and up..??

BTW, very nice rifle and buff...would love to hunt them myself one day...(y)

Big question and topic!

Well, first of all it’s best to use a 9.3mm or .375H&H (with good bullets) and up. I don’t dispute that, especially in a stalking situation in heavy cover.

There is a type of Australian shooter who says “All you need is a .308 or .243!”

That kind of shooter isn’t much of a stalking hunter, or not very experienced in LOTS of heavy cover stalking for buffalo bulls - yet some (not all) are the finest bushmen whom I have the utmost respect for... but they’re simply meat or cull shooters, and there’s no reason for them to stalk the truly dangerous bulls in truly thick cover. That’s fine, and I respect them.

Now, I’ve shot big and dangerous buffalo bulls with a wide range of big, medium and small bore rifles - in proper hunting situations. Why on Earth would I use a .30-30 or .22-250? For adventure and to intelligently prove modern high-tech bullets (having used the old-style bullets in some not-so-great-yet-successful-thank-God situations in my youth). Either I carry two rifles for such ventures (the heavy hitter for safety - my goodness, it sure gets tiring lugging two rifles!), or better yet my wife or brother carries a sensible rifle for me to grab if required. I also have used percussion and flintlock .54” roundball rifles.

I would add that with good bullets it is very safe to hunt with a scoped .308 or .300 magnum in OPEN timber or plains. But there will always be those dangerous pockets.

The guys shooting a lot of buffalo - not properly hunting them - often use .243 or .308. They’re not all to be looked down upon, as many are rangers or stockmen trying to do their jobs, while others are salt-of-the-Earth battlers trying to feed their families.

However, I believe that most stalking sporting hunters in Australia who are trying to locate that big old bull wherever he may be generally use .375H&H or greater.

I stalk a lot of big bulls with my .300H&H, but either with a safety rifle available or in open country.

BenKK, I really liked your article on what caliber bullets should be used on water buffalo. Recognizing that some hunters are obliged to use what calibers they have and generally make do with them. While obviously not your choice of caliber those using smaller ones were treated/referenced with respect and I suspect a degree of admiration in some cases. You obviously have hunted buffalo often, how many have you taken in total?

Why on Earth would I use a .30-30 or .22-250? For adventure and to intelligently prove modern high-tech bullets (having used the old-style bullets in some not-so-great-yet-successful-thank-God situations in my youth).

May I request you take a bull using a 149gr CEB Safari Raptor with the 300 H&H? :D Enquiring minds, who are terribly jealous of your situation, would appreciate it.:whistle::)

BenKK, I really liked your article on what caliber bullets should be used on water buffalo. Recognizing that some hunters are obliged to use what calibers they have and generally make do with them. While obviously not your choice of caliber those using smaller ones were treated/referenced with respect and I suspect a degree of admiration in some cases. You obviously have hunted buffalo often, how many have you taken in total?

G’day Shootist43, and thank you. The local guys are incredible bushmen. I’m not exactly sure how many buffalo I’ve killed. My notes say 25 this year, but that’s a mixture of proper hunting and simply helping some folks get meat in the easiest way possible. I get no thrill at all from meat runs, shooting from the ute, just the satisfaction of helping good folks and their dogs. The real enjoyment is only when stalking.

Today I heard a wonderful story that I believe to be absolutely true, in which a mud-covered hunter stalked a buffalo cow to TWO metres and shot her in the chest with two barrels of buckshot from an under-and-over 12 gauge! She didn’t go far and had to stop, and another guy grabbed the shotgun and stalked over to shoot her in the head! They got her. Hungry times, the monsoon season and no way to get to town to buy groceries.

May I request you take a bull using a 149gr CEB Safari Raptor with the 300 H&H? :D Enquiring minds, who are terribly jealous of your situation, would appreciate it.:whistle::)

I’m liking the 475 grain Raptor but experience tells me that the 149 grain version might not be the best thing. I’m not sure those tiny petals would make it into the chest. I could be wrong, but that’s my hypothesis at this stage. I’m sure I could kill a buffalo with one, but I’m thinking it would just be the shank doing the killing.

I’m liking the 475 grain Raptor but experience tells me that the 149 grain version might not be the best thing. I’m not sure those tiny petals would make it into the chest. I could be wrong, but that’s my hypothesis at this stage. I’m sure I could kill a buffalo with one, but I’m thinking it would just be the shank doing the killing.
That's great insight, thanks.

Spot on.

A few of years back we shot a number of buff with the 250gn 9.3 and although we did kill the buff the combination of bullet weight and caliber were both on the light side.

Spot on.

A few of years back we shot a number of buff with the 250gn 9.3 and although we did kill the buff the combination of bullet weight and caliber were both on the light side.
Do you think proper 286 grain would have worked better

A "proper" 286gn ...............

No, I think a .40 cal + would have worked better.

Graham, as a side note to my above post.

Twelve months ago I was hunting with a friend trying to get him his first buffalo.
I was carrying my 9.3x64mm to clean up any Boars seen which frequent the same area.
When we found a big bull buff my bud hit it well with a .458 Lott but the bull took off regardless.
I hit it twice on the shoulder, on the run, loaded with 250gn TSX's.
There was little to no reaction from the bull from either of my two shots until the Lott barked for the second and third time.

Graham, as a side note to my above post.

Twelve months ago I was hunting with a friend trying to get him his first buffalo.
I was carrying my 9.3x64mm to clean up any Boars seen which frequent the same area.
When we found a big bull buff my bud hit it well with a .458 Lott but the bull took off regardless.
I hit it twice on the shoulder, on the run, loaded with 250gn TSX's.
There was little to no reaction from the bull from either of my two shots until the Lott barked for the second and third time.
Gee thanks that didn't even come close to answering my question. I could have figured out the 40 call scenario! And the repeat on 250's didn't answer anything. Thanks.

Gee thanks that didn't even come close to answering my question. I could have figured out the 40 call scenario! And the repeat on 250's didn't answer anything. Thanks.

Graham, I believe that a 250 grain TSX would be superior to the 286 grain soft (you used the word “proper”, whereas I would prefer to use “traditional”, “historical” or “conventional”). Comparing CEB Safari Raptors in a given cartridge, lighter and faster makes more use of the technology than slower and heavier. It has taken me some time to get used-to the idea of using lighter bullet weight in my .500 Jeffery. Actually, I do still believe in heavier bullet weights for conventional bullets - including Woodleigh Hydros. But for TSX and CEB Safari Raptors I am seeing that a little lighter is better. Back to using 180 grain TSXs in the .300H&H, I get better results than when I was using 220 grain softs - although the 220 solids were very effective.

I wonder if this is a point that Paul and I might be getting at? That while we do like CEB Safari Raptors for buffalo, in smaller cartridges there might be better bullets for buffalo - although none of the smaller cartridges can truly make a buffalo absolutely shudder on a hit (stopping power).

I do know for certain that the 286 grain Hydro is wonderful buffalo medicine - but still not a shudder-inducing stopper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!