.300 Winchester Magnum enough?

RStien321

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I am planning to take safari number 2 in 2020 and starting the planning, because hey, why not.

A few animals that are on my list include Nyala, Zebra, Blue Wildebeast, Giraffe, and Eland. I took a .300 win mag on my last hunt and 200 grain partitions did great on Kudu, Gemsbuck, and Waterbuck. The Black Wildebeast I took 3 bullets before he went down, even though the first broke his shoulder. Those things just don't want to die.

The only animal on my list above that gives me pause on if I have enough gun is giraffe. What is the general consensus on giraffe caliber? Do some outfitters require larger calibers?

Your PH/Outfitter should tell you what they require.
Many will suggest a 375. It leaves less room for error. Wound them and they can go a long way.

SHOT PLACEMENT IS KEY! Study and know the animals vitals.

I have taken a Giraffe with a 300 WinMag 180 grain TTSX - 2 Heart/lung shots.
and another with a .270 Win. 130 grain TTSX at short range.
(The one taken with the .270 had a broken leg and required dispatch.)

300 win mag will get it done if the shot placement is correct for a body shot, but it will run with a hrt lung shot. shoot it in the head or neck and a done deal. As Brickburn said SHOT PLACEMENT IS EVERYHTING WITH A GIRAFFE. I have used 416rem and can say that it gets the job done quite well and very quickly but PH hounded me even with 416 that I knew where to put the bullet as he had chased last clients girrafe all day that the client shot in the guts with a 458 win mag.
That all said IF I were using a 300 I would shoot for head/neck.

Can't go wrong with a 375 H&H, but the 300 Win Mag will do. As above, shot placement is everything, every animal, every time. I would be more concerned with the Eland.

I am a Nosler Partition fan, the original premium bullet in my mind. But if I were pursuing a giraffe with a .300WM (also a caliber I own and love) I'd be looking to use the highere weight retaining bullets available today. If you're shooting factory, I'd be looking at 200gr A-Frames.

If handloader, A-Frames or North Fork bonded cores. If you're not a handloader, there are custom ammo manufacturers that will build a load for you. It will cost you a little, but far less than a lost giraffe.

Just bring your 375. Use Swift A frames and call it a day. PERIOD. If your PH recommends solids I would use Northfork and you will have peace of mind. As mentioned if you don't reload as I don't call Superior ammo they will be happy to load em for you.

Just bring your 375. Use Swift A frames and call it a day. PERIOD. If your PH recommends solids I would use Northfork and you will have peace of mind. As mentioned if you don't reload as I don't call Superior ammo they will be happy to load em for you.

Issue today is the 300 win mag is the largest caliber I own. I'm not opposed to getting another rifle. I do feel very comfortable with my 300 today and if I can avoid the added expense I would prefer to do so.

If you are comfortable with your 300WM, use it.
It will do the job if you do your part, placing the bullet in the right spot.

Issue today is the 300 win mag is the largest caliber I own. I'm not opposed to getting another rifle. I do feel very comfortable with my 300 today and if I can avoid the added expense I would prefer to do so.

But it's a good excuse to go shopping for a new rifle

But it's a good excuse to go shopping for a new rifle

You're telling me! I am easily swayed and have been looking at .416 and .375 for the last few months. I even have a Leupold VX-5 2-10 without a home that would fit the bill perfectly for either gun. I have been leaning .416 since it would be a more designated big/dangerous game gun while the .300 win mag would pull the majority of plains game duty. A .375 is so much more practical, cheaper to shoot (unless of course I decide to reload), and could more easily do a one gun safari. My experience bringing one gun to RSA was very painless, and I can't imagine it would be more difficult bringing two.

You're telling me! I am easily swayed and have been looking at .416 and .375 for the last few months. I even have a Leupold VX-5 2-10 without a home that would fit the bill perfectly for either gun. I have been leaning .416 since it would be a more designated big/dangerous game gun while the .300 win mag would pull the majority of plains game duty. A .375 is so much more practical, cheaper to shoot (unless of course I decide to reload), and could more easily do a one gun safari. My experience bringing one gun to RSA was very painless, and I can't imagine it would be more difficult bringing two.

Just as easy to take two guns as it is one gun!

It will probably work, but you should use the excuse to buy a new and bigger rifle and enjoy that part of the experience!

i would say the .300 would be fine...but as you are already wavering about increasing your toys...then who am i to dissuade you...;)...go get the .416...and it can only be a rigby as the others arent correct.....:A Stirring::A Haha::A Haha:...simple....with those two cals you are sorted for everything...especially as you are comfortable with your .300 :D Beers:

Oh you need more toys and it is xmas!!!! Go for that 416!! I promise a 400gr swift aframe from a 416 placed in the hrt and lungs will result in a very dead giraffe very quickly. With a 300winny and a 416Rem you will have a safari battery PS (forget those rigby toys over rated, burns too much powder and those rds cost even more than 416rem if you don't reload) (y) Now the rigby camps will disagree but ballistically the same and the rem can be had in a win70 with crf for a good price and cheaper ammo here in USA. And FYI Rigby fans the cases don't stick anymore with modern temperature stable powder. But if ya gotta have a rigby go for it they are excellent choice too, skip the Ruger 416 just a fad will disappear soon.

A man without a .375H&H in his cabinet is like a man without his manhood......:A Stirring::E Horrified::K Whipping::V Bangin::A Banana::D

Just kidding of course. A .416 of whatever variety will of course get the job done too and with a bit more authority. But the .375 is a nice way to break your shoulder in on the bigger calibers.

Totally aside, (sorry) but I bought one of those scopes with the illuminated reticle and really like it. I have several more expensive scopes, but I feel this one is one of the most 'cost effective' ones available.
As far as the gun conundrum goes, I am no help. I kind of lean towards just taking the .300 with some heavy premium bullets, and lots of steady practise.

I have a chance to try a 416 Rem Mag out local soon and am going to see how it goes. It is a Rem700 (not trying to start the whole CRF debate) and that is an action I am highly familiar with as all my rifles are built on that action. Just feels like home shooting them!

I have been 2 times & shot most of all the animals you wish to take. My 1st trip I used a 375. This year I went for a giraffe. I asked my PH for suggestions. I said I was thinking of either a 30-06 or 9.3x62. He said if I brought my '06 he would only allow a brain shot as the skin at the chest is so thick as to not guarantee good penetration of a 30 cal. I ended up taking the 9.3. But, I did get an 85 yard brain shot - it was a spectacular kill - what I mean is the animal went down instantly with zero suffering. (that chest skin is VERY thick - I was amazed when he was at the taxidermist!) If I had it to do again, I may have brought the '06: the brain shot was quite do-able, BUT, the big calibers are very reassuring and allow for a slight margin of error.
Best Wishes,
Ernie
ps. those wildebeest do die hard. I shot one with a 375 thru the shoulder and heart and he still ran 80 yards into the bush!

Totally aside, (sorry) but I bought one of those scopes with the illuminated reticle and really like it. I have several more expensive scopes, but I feel this one is one of the most 'cost effective' ones available.
As far as the gun conundrum goes, I am no help. I kind of lean towards just taking the .300 with some heavy premium bullets, and lots of steady practise.

Me too! I have a VX-6HD 2-12 on my win mag and a VX-5HD 3-18 on a 6.5 both with the firedot. The VX-5HD I have extra is a 2-10 with firedot. Not sure if a 1-5 would be significantly better or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg