300 Win Mag scope help

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by Brandon.Gleason, Nov 24, 2019.

1. One Day...

One Day... GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Europe, America, Canada, Africa
    Technical Data PDF in the Download pull down menu at the bottom of the Z3, 5, 6, 8 pages on the Swarovski website :)

Brandon.Gleason likes this.

2. Brandon.Gleason

Brandon.Gleason AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, NRA
    Just received word that Wayne will be finishing up my CZ550 .300WM Upgrade #2 package this week and shipping back to me. Looking forward to shooting it.

Making final decisions on scopes now. I'm leaning towards a Z6, trying to decide illuminated or not.

flat8 likes this.

3. Tucketed

Tucketed SILVER SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    My Z6 1-6 is illuminated and personally love it. More so for quick acquisition of target. Longer slower shooting opportunities you can do without it.

4. Opposite Pole

Opposite Pole AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
    Hunted:
    Australia, Poland
    I think illumination is well worth it. It helps with quick shots as well as shots in less than ideal light. Dark crosshairs on dark coloured target against dark vegetation can be difficult to see at times. For hunting at night under moonlight it’s great help too.

5. One Day...

One Day... GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Europe, America, Canada, Africa
    If there is a leopard hunt, or bush pig hunts in your future, an illuminated reticle may make a lot of sense :)

That .300 may also work quite well at first or last light with an illuminated reticle on withe-tailed deer in deep and dark eastern woods :)

Finally, with a 130 gr TTSX load, that .300 with an illuminated reticle may also be quite a rig for night predator hunting, in Africa or USA, where legal :)

Considering the modest price difference, I would say that it is worth taking the illuminated reticle, even if you do not use it often...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020

6. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Good question, and One-Day: excellent and informative reply. While moderate power on a hunting scope has always done me well, I do know that the long range shooters at booths at SCI have told me that for most of their very long shots their scopes are on 22 power. FWIW. I will not be needing those power ranges, but it is fun to watch others spend money. Best of luck on your selection, Brandon.............FWB