300 PRC

I have a new rifle chambered in 300 PRC on the way soon for my first Africa hunt.
Plan to shoot the 190gr. CX bullet from Hornady.
After research and some inputs from experienced hunters, I “upgraded” from my planned 7mm PRC to 300 PRC.

My question….
Although I will not be hunting any DG on my first hunt, COULD the 300 PRC be used on buffalo?

I’ve seen many articles with opinions about .375 H&H being the minimum for buffalo, but I also can’t find anything specific to 300 PRC and saw one PH on a video say .300WM would work on buffalo with a well-placed shot.

Finally, I’ve seen references to what can “legally” be used on DG. Is that literally legally or is it a requirement by outfitter?

Thanks!
No. it would work but it’s not legal pretty much anywhere to my knowledge. And once you have shot 1 Buffalo in my experience a 375 feels on the small side.

Exactly. The manufactures are moving product, not making a (truly) better one.

I drank the Kool-Aid at one time in my younger days, turned out to be snake oil disguised as a 300WSM. Well, we all learn some way or another I suppose.

@NIGHTHAWK - I have a friend with a Remington 700 stainless/synthetic in 300RUM that shoots clover leaf groups at 300 yards. He loves that rifle and has also taken an elk with it. Congratulation on the 1 mile+ club.
I drank the kool aide too: after 20 years with a model 70 .270 win I upgraded to a Kimber 7 mm rem mag. Pretty similar, but heavier bullets for elk.
At the SCI show i asked multiple people what to buy for a 12 year old. Most everyone said 6.5CM. Well, got one of those too! I bought two rifles that were basically similar performance to what I already owned.
Don’t worry, in an effort to really make sure to be repetitive, I later got an R8 with the same caliber barrels. I guess a hobby doesn’t have to make sense.

There is no way we are going to stop buying rifles. Especially when they make a .270+ Winchester that shoots 180 grain high BC swift bullets… I might need that!

My friend took a caribou with his 6.5PRC. I believe it was just over 250 yards and dead within 30 yards. Hard to argue with that.
I really like the way Woodleigh 160 gr shoots in my 6.5x55. While it doesn't have the BC of an ELD-X or ELD-M or NABLR, it still comes in at a respectable .51

If I lucked up with a 100-150 yard shot on an elk, I'd much rather be shooting a Woodleigh than a Hornady at 6.5 PRC velocities.

I think a 300 PRC would be an excellent PG cartridge. Even though it would probably be fine, I think it wouldn't meet the requirements for hunting buffalo in most African countries.

My favorite 300 is a 300 Weatherby.

I would be somewhat concerned that factory 300 PRC might not be around 20 years from now.

IMO...

Extinct (or almost so):

30 H&H SF
300 Rem SAUM
300 Dakota
300 Blaser
300 Extra Long
7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird
300 Pegasus

Endangered:

300 PRC
30 Nosler
300 H&H (only Nosler with 1 loading) - even though it's worthy to remain forever!

Last edited:
Do you mean factory loaded ammo? For the reloader, there's a lot of heavy for caliber bullets being made by different manufacturers.
Right. You know all to well I have no time for reloading! If I need something custom I call John at Safari Arms.
Although all Hornady bullets are better now I am still not a fan.

@Philip Glass, agreed on John with Safari Arms. Just sent him a bunch of components that I had acquired to get some ammo loaded. 404Jeffery, 416 Rem Mag, 300 win mag and 30-06. Not to derail the thread just wanted to second your recommendation for Safari Arms. Back ti the 300 PRC discussion.

Don’t forget the already forgotten 308 Norma Magnum. Excellent cartridge that died on the vine.

The .300 PRC will be fine. Go heavy for caliber bullets.
It is not a good choice for buffalo and is not really optimal anyway.
Get a .375 HH or .416 Rem/Rigby for buff.
Use a 300gr bullet that is an Aframe, TSX or Partition for your first two shots, then solids.
Have fun.

The .300 PRC will be fine. Go heavy for caliber bullets.
It is not a good choice for buffalo and is not really optimal anyway.
Get a .375 HH or .416 Rem/Rigby for buff.
Use a 300gr bullet that is an Aframe, TSX or Partition for your first two shots, then solids.
Have fun.
Please speak with you PH about using solids for buffalo. Typically you will not use solids unless directed to do so by the PH. There is too much risk of over penetration through the intended target buffalo that it could hit another one behind it.

By all means have them, but only load when asked to do so.

Congratulations on your first safari and welcome to AH. I really can’t add to anything that’s already been said. The .375 is considered minimum on DG for a reason. The .300PRC should do a great job on PG. I think you were wise to step up from the 7mm.

I think a 300 PRC would be an excellent PG cartridge. Even though it would probably be fine, I think it wouldn't meet the requirements for hunting buffalo in most African countries.

My favorite 300 is a 300 Weatherby.

I would be somewhat concerned that factory 300 PRC might not be around 20 years from now.

IMO...

Extinct (or almost so):

30 H&H SF
300 Rem SAUM
300 Dakota
300 Blaser
300 Extra Long
7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird
300 Pegasus

Endangered:

300 PRC
30 Nosler
300 H&H (only Nosler with 1 loading) - even though it's worthy to remain forever!
Another extinct Hornady proprietary cartridge: .300 Ruger Compact Magnum. Born in 2008, Ruger quit chambering their Model 77 for it in 2012. Same with the .338 RCM.

Another extinct Hornady proprietary cartridge: .300 Ruger Compact Magnum. Born in 2008, Ruger quit chambering their Model 77 for it in 2012. Same with the .338 RCM.
Yeah, time will tell if the 300PRC is able to sustain its success beyond the initial splash of being the latest and greatest.

So many .300 calibers have been relegated to obscurity over the years. Probably enough content to start another thread. :ROFLMAO:

While the “under powered” 30-06 and its magnum counterpart 300WM keep plowing the fields.

Yeah, time will tell if the 300PRC is able to sustain its success beyond the initial splash of being the latest and greatest.

So many .300 calibers have been relegated to obscurity over the years. Probably enough content to start another thread. :ROFLMAO:

While the “under powered” 30-06 and its magnum counterpart 300WM keep plowing the fields.
Just for the idea, I looked up factory 300wm and 30-06 180 ttsx federal factory loads. it was around 200fps MV difference. I doubt in real world practical use that would make a lot of difference.
It will be interesting to see how time treats the PRC and new Ruger cartridges.

.300 caliber is a tough crowd. The list of casualties on this road is not only long but distinguished. Names like Norma, Ruger, Remington, Savage and even Winchester with the WSM have laid duds.

It's one thing to grab a share of the market upon release. It's another to sustain it over the course of decades or in some cases over a century.

Example - The 375RUGER (released in 2007) is still considered an upstart against the 375H&H. It takes time and staying power beyond some initial flash.

I shot all of my plains game with 300 PRC. Even the massive Eland was pass through and dead after 20 yds with the Barnes 190 LRX.

If you want options not factory another consideration is Custom Reloads of Dallas. He did a great job with mine.

I have another custom build about 6 weeks out that has a 1:8 twist Proof barrel for the purpose of handling the Barnes 212 grain LRX Bore Rider. I am very excited to see what load will do. Being all copper the bullet is crazy long.

I love the caliber and think it is here to stay.

And, no on buffalo please. The perfect shot is not always available and that is an animal that brings consequences with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Thom

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.