30-40 Krag (in modern Win 1885)

Rimshot

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I have a 16" barrel 1885 in 30-40 I bought just because it was a great bargain. In my pondering on how to make it an effective deer rifle, I'm leaning toward the Cutting Edge Raptor in 100 gr just to get a decent amount of velocity out of the short barrel. According to Quickload I can get about 3000 fps if I lean on it a little (50k psi, MAP is 47k for the old Springfields) with AA2520, BLC2, or Win 748 that I have on hand. I'm a little hesitant to use a little 100 gr bullet from a 30 cal though. My other option is a 150 gr lead core barely making 2500 fps. The BC on the little Raptor is terrible of course, but this would only be used under 200 yards anyway. I've never used the Raptors but from the stuff I've read it seems like this might be the best option to get the fastest kill.

I've killed a few deer with the 110 Hornady in 308s, think they were around 3k fps. Maybe look at the hammer bullets to they seem to make good speeds for there weight. In the 1885 there's no reason you couldn't load that 30-40 like any other modern cartridge, that thing must be a short little fella with that 16" barrel.

Have a .30-40 Krag Jorg and we have shot alot of deer w it, using factory ammo, have also shot alot of deer and a big cougar w a .32-20 w lead bullets, worked fine also

Check the twist rate—it might not stabilize that light of a bullet.
Looking at the specifications the 100 gr Raptor appears to be about the same length as a spitzer shape 150-165 gr lead core bullet. It might be slightly "over stabilized" but being a lathe turned bullet that shouldn't hurt much. Cutting Edge says 1:12" or faster on their website, and it seems that most 30-40 are 1:10"

Would love to see that rifle. A 16inch high wall itches me head quite often
20240126_124709a.jpg

At the time I could have also had a 38-55 for the same clearance price, but the metal butt plate seems like it would be punishing with that cartridge in this little rifle!

View attachment 583419
At the time I could have also had a 38-55 for the same clearance price, but the metal butt plate seems like it would be punishing with that cartridge in this little rifle!
Looks a bit out of proportion.
But a handy dandy package.

Cant to wront with 110 or 130 ttsx.
Would not go beyond 155grain for my taste.

But if its 1:10 twist the 190grain sub x would be interesting too

I’d definitely go to a Barnes TTSX to increase your B.C. And get the volume you need. A 150gr TTSX is the same volume as a 180gr lead core bullet. It should have great velocity and plenty of power IF you select a powder that burns up in less than your overall barrel length. Fast burning powders would appear to be the solution.

Only one way to find out if your gun will like those 100 gr raptors. Do they make a 130 or so grain as well? Can't recall. CEB's have a reputation for being accurate so you may just like them.
Otherwise a 150 gr accubond or scirroco will open up nicely in a gun not pushing blazing velocities.

The length of the bullet, in a gross generalization, determines best twist for stabilization. Monolithic copper/brass bullets are longer per unit of weight(mass) than are lead or lead core bullets. The longer the bullet the faster the twist required is the generalized rule of thumb.

As to the 30-40… nice cartridge. Kinda of a 308 dream stuck in a 30-30 body :):)

I’d definitely go to a Barnes TTSX to increase your B.C. And get the volume you need. A 150gr TTSX is the same volume as a 180gr lead core bullet. It should have great velocity and plenty of power IF you select a powder that burns up in less than your overall barrel length. Fast burning powders would appear to be the solution.
What do you mean by volume, I assume bullet volume? I haven't heard anyone specifically mention that variable. What effect does it have?

My thinking was that with the lighter bullet I could get good velocity for a quicker kill on whitetails. Out of the 16" barrel a 150 probably will be limited to the 2400-2500 fps MV range. I've mostly used lead core bullets on game so I don't have much experience here.

Volume.

Copper is 22% lighter than lead. That means that a 150gr copper bullet has the volume of about a 180gr lead soft. It will give you similar expansion, but it will be flatter shooting because it weighs less. A 120-130gr copper might be even better, you’ll up the Krag velocity but it will hit and expand like a 160gr.

What do you mean by volume, I assume bullet volume? I haven't heard anyone specifically mention that variable. What effect does it have?

My thinking was that with the lighter bullet I could get good velocity for a quicker kill on whitetails. Out of the 16" barrel a 150 probably will be limited to the 2400-2500 fps MV range. I've mostly used lead core bullets on game so I don't have much experience here.
@Rimshot
I personally would go the 125gn or 150gn SST. They are designed to open up fast with the super shock tip and they hold together on the shank to drive pretty deep. In my humble opinion they are perfect for pigs and deer.
Both my son and I swear by them. In that shorter barrel if you want more velocity go the lighter bullet.
A mate uses 303 Brit load data to load his krag as they are almost identical. My gunsmith has also used a 30-40 krag improved reamer to make a 303 improved.
Bob

@Rimshot Had you bought the 38-55 and loaded it to original specs, the recoil would have been quite modest. I have used the 255 grain lead bullet at about 1350 fps to take antelope and deer.....a 6# rifle ....no probs with recoil. But, it's moot as you have the somewhat unusually configured 30US. A cup and core 30-30 bullet will likely satisfy your needs for deer...........good luck with your loading.....FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazukoWink

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.