-. 375 Holland & Holland Magnum BRNO ZKK-602
- 12 Gauge 3 Inch Magnum Beretta Model 626E

Among currently manufactured firearms:
-.30-06 Springfield Winchester Model 70 Super Grade
-.375 Holland & Holland Magnum Winchester Model 70 Safari Express
- 12 Gauge 3 Inch Magnum Beretta Model 486 Parallelo

Last edited:
450-4
I am a Texas deer and hog hunter. I have been expanding my hunting horizons and after Colorado, I have been looking to Africa. I am interested in putting together a 3 gun battery for the purposes of PG, DG and some bird hunting. Looking for thoughts not only on caliber, but action type and brand. Would like to show up with a respectable setup that would make my PH comfortable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Most likely will be looking in the used, but well cared for category.

My initial thoughts:

Browning Continental O/U .30-06/20ga set
Bolt Action .375 H&H, maybe larger
Double rifle .450/.470
I am a Texas deer and hog hunter. I have been expanding my hunting horizons and after Colorado, I have been looking to Africa. I am interested in putting together a 3 gun battery for the purposes of PG, DG and some bird hunting. Looking for thoughts not only on caliber, but action type and brand. Would like to show up with a respectable setup that would make my PH comfortable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Most likely will be looking in the used, but well cared for category.

My initial thoughts:

Double rifle .450/.470 NE
Chapuis 450-400 NE DR with Trijicon red dot
Rigby 275 Rigby with Swarovski scope
Interarms 375 with Swarovski scope
These 3 handle any animal on the planet

My initial thoughts:

I’ve actually been at this very task.

My 3 gun battery…

Weatherby Mark V in 257 Weatherby for deer and plains game.

Heym SR30 in 9.3x62 for elk, moose, bear and larger plains game.

Heym 89B in 450/400 with 20 gauge barrels for DG and birds.

I’ve got numbers 1 and 3. Number 2 is ordered.

This year's battery as it changes:

Heym .500 NE for buffalo and elephant.
.300 RUM bolt with 200 grain Accubonds for PG

Grulla 12 gauge SxS for pheasant in the Fall.

I’ve actually been at this very task.

My 3 gun battery…

Weatherby Mark V in 257 Weatherby for deer and plains game.

Heym SR30 in 9.3x62 for elk, moose, bear and larger plains game.

Heym 89B in 450/400 with 20 gauge barrels for DG and birds.

I’ve got numbers 1 and 3. Number 2 is ordered.

I’d love to hear more about your future experience with the SR30. Seems a fascinating rifle to me.

Would like to show up with a respectable setup that would make my PH comfortable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Most likely will be looking in the used, but well cared for category.

My initial thoughts:

That will make most PH's happy. Although having both big bores might be to redundant.

To play along with your request:
General: 7x57/308/8x60 and 416 Rigby Bolt actions and over and under 12Br
More High end: 275 and 416 in Rigby rifle itself; or 275 Rigby in Rigby and a 450/400 or 470 NE

I’d love to hear more about your future experience with the SR30. Seems a fascinating rifle to me.
It’s in process. Will be my first straight pull rifle. Hope to pick the lumber in the near future. Setting it up with a Talley QD system to use both irons and a low power scope. With a bit of luck I’ll have it in a few months. Will be sure to share my thoughts when it does.

The 3 Rifle African battery , it gets hard to find if left hand, currently run with
William Douglass double in 470Nitro
Winchester Safari Express in 375H&H , Left Hand
Winchester M70 Sporter in 30/06 Left Hand

The 3 above is about right but can mix and match with
Ruger No1 "Boddington" 450/400
CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 375H&H Left Hand
Steyr Mannlicher SM12 in 9.3x62 Left Hand
Winchester 1895 in 405Win.

My ideal battery would be a
Westley Richards double drop lock in 470Nitro
Rigby Big Game in 416 Rigby Left Hand
Westley Richards, Accelerated Express in 318WR Left Hand
(y)

forgot to say yes the Ruger in 450/400 has a bit of recoil but not enough to put me off with open sights , I am just really sighting in now, coke can at 25 yards no problem but can not hit those Beer cans!

My picks would be:
Gun 1: 300 win mag, or 300 H&H, or 338 win mag
Gun 2: 375 H&H or 416 Rigby
Gun 3: 12 GA O/U.

Thank you for the reply. I was expecting and maybe hoping for a more exotic list.
Exotic is not what you want in the middle of East Nowhere Africa. You’ll find 375, 30-06, 300 WM almost everywhere. The Continental with both 20g and 06 barrel sets is wonderful- I use a BBF set up that way, also has 9.3 barrels. Get what 375 you prefer - there are distinct Blaser R8 fans haters here but the R8 is what I recommend.
There are fairly long and informative threads on a good three gun battery, R8 vs Mauser/70 custom vs doubles threads. Plus read all the travel and logistics threads

I'll play, only with what I have:

If mostly PG and little DG:
1. Beretta silver pigeon o&u 12ga
2. Heym 88 PH double rifle with barrelsets in 7x65r and .375H&H

If mostly DG and little PG:
1. Beretta silver pigeon o&u 12ga
2. Dumoulin Centurion bolt-action in 7x64
2. Vereecke bolt-action in .416 Rigby

My 3-gun battery is the Blaser R8 375H&H and traveling light.

A reputable dealer nearby has a Heym set with 20 Gauge barrels, a .375 double with scope, a .470NE and a .500 NE all in one case. only $34K . Only thing more exotic would be if you go with a vintage European set or a London bespoke. As long as you can shoot it and the gun is reliable, only you will care what you show up with in Africa. Your P.H. has seen it all and just wants you to be capable.
Where is this dealer?

My 3-gun battery is the Blaser R8 375H&H and traveling light.
There is nothing that can't do - except birds - and is one of my two preferred batteries. I take the Blaser BBFs and Krieghoff for fun because doubles are fun - but certainly not necessary - and not optimum in many cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaFairb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you