3 days...

Qc_BearHunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
In 3 days, I'll leave Quebec City for the trip I decided to live for my 50th years of life. As long as I can remember, I wanted to hunt a Cape Buffalo once in my life.

My firsts thoughts was for a hunt in Zambia. But those hunts a way more expensive than hunts in SA and I just can't convice myself to spend that much money only for me. I'm also a husband and a father of two.

But thanks to my old Toyota Tacoma fully paid since 7 years ago, I had to make a decision for my 50th anniversary : A new truck or a buffalo hunt? A new truck will just be no more new in a few months. Hunting memories will last forever. The choice was easy and the old one is still in perfect order, except for his paint covered with hunting scars. I think I'm something of a Quebec redneck.

When my good old hunting partner told me he won't do it, I started to think about living it all alone, really getting out of my comfort zone.

So I booked a 10 days Cape Buffalo hunting with Ken Moody Safari on november 1st 2021. Ken's initial package was for 7 days but when he offered me an additional 3 days "because it can sometime take time to find a good one", I was all-in. I wanted to live it fully and don't want to feel stressed or pressured. 10 days sounds better than 7. I have also a budget to add a few plains game if the buffalo comes early during the trip. Ken's style of hunting is still the real thing. No put and take animals in very large properties. His conversation were straight and forward. I felt confident. A few days later I asked Math, my good old hunting partner's 20 YO son during a deceiving snow goose hunt: Math, would you hunt buffalo with a guy named Ken Moody and who's motto is: "We know buffalo" ? His response was a straight YES. That sealed the deal. Next step was Honey.. ;)

What a good decision I made of booking that trip and purchase flights tickets in november 2021. Right now the same trip would cost me about 4000 CDN$ more.

I remember Omicron appearing in SA a few weeks after and spreading like fire, then as Omicron's was about totally faded, Russia invaded Ukraine, menacing again the world.

My Model 70 375 H&H is ready, ammos will be handloaded Barnes 270 grains TSX over H4895 and Federal Large Rifle Match primers. The hunting gears are all in one corner of the basement. So I don't think I forget something. Papers are ready, even my SA rifle permit was approved and is waiting for me.

As time goes, everything settled just fine. I think it will be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the booking, we look forward to reading the report!

Looks like an amazing trip you will be going on! Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures over there :)

Awesome! You’re going to have a grand Africa adventure!
That Tacoma will probably be going strong in 20 years! Great alternative!
If you are near the Limpopo River it could be very thick country thus hunting could be quite close up!
Personally I’d use at least a 300 grain bullet and even a 350 wouldn’t be too much in a 375 for a cape buffalo.
Have a great time and take lots of photos!
Hope you have been practicing off sticks?

Bon Chance!

Enjoy your Buffalo hunt.

QC ... Good luck with your hunt! I know when I finally separated from long time hunting partners who would agree to a hunt but would always back out, was the best thing I did. You become free to chase your adventure and dreams and not be anchored by others who are afraid to live the life!

Well it will be a bit warmer up there, the Eastern Cape is freezing cold.
My friend, I'm living in Quebec, Canada. We make snow for the entire world here. ;)
Bon Chance!

Enjoy your Buffalo hunt.
Merci beaucoup. L'anglais n'est pas ma première langue alors je fais de mon mieux pour le parler et l'écrire. :)

A lifelong desire for a buffalo is what spurred me to go to Africa as well.
It sounds like you’re going to have a great hunt, I look forward to your hunt report.
Have fun, shoot straight and be safe.

Merci beaucoup. L'anglais n'est pas ma première langue alors je fais de mon mieux pour le parler et l'écrire. :)
ton anglais est meilleur que mon français

Good luck, have a great trip.

Enjoy your hunt!!!

That Tacoma should last you a while longer and worst case you can likely sell it for almost as much as you paid with what used one's are bringing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg