.280 for Plains Game?

Hi, TXHUNTER338. I did my first safari to Africa with a old Ruger 77 that was rebarreled to 280AI. This firearm and calibre has never let me down and it has taken many red deer at extended range (400+m). I have also taken wild Bovine Bulls (Cattle) with the 280AI.
In Africa I took a range of plains game including Gemsbuck, Kudu, Wildebeest and Waterbuck. The 280 is a very good calibre for plains game and pleasant to shoot. I load mine with 160gn accubonds. For long range I use 150 gn ballistic tip.
You will not go wrong with a 280.
 
Many, many biltong hunters over here use both the 7x57 and the 7x64 - the 280 will do the job just fine. In fact I’m toying with re-barreling my 30-06 to a 280 aid to take advantage of the 7mm bc’s at longer ranges.
 
I used a 30-06 with 165 grain Accubonds with excellent results. I think a .280 with 160s would also be excellent with the advantage of the slightly higher bc.
 
Don’t think you can really go wrong. Most importantly is your shot placement. If you can keep you groups tight at extended Range’s you’ll be fine. I took several PG with my 270wsm recently in SA.
 
I haven't used a 280, but I own a 7mm-08 which is a tad slower. It drops caribou with ease and has lots of good reports being used on plains game. I'm sure the 280 will perform admirably too.
 
I you shoot the rifle well then take it!
 
Last year my son used a 280 to take 6 animals in the eastern cape. Worked flawlessly except on his Zebra and that was no fault of the 280! He shot to quick and hit the upper front leg. Follow up shot put it down. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 280.
 
With premium grade 160-175 gr bullets and correct shot placement you can take all the plains game in Africa. The mild recoil compared to the magnum calibers will help you place your first shot where it needs to go.

Great caliber choice, same as 7x64mm Brenneke.
 
I have shot about a dozen plains game with a .22-250 and a .243

If you place your shots correctly there should be no problem at all with your .280.
 
I have killed a couple bull elk and a mule deer with my 280AI. I use 150 gr AccuBond LR.
 
My wife's go to rifle is a 280 Rem. Cariboo in the Artic, Gemsbok and Impala and Bushbuck and Black Wildebeest in South Africa. Red Stag in Scotland. Whitetail Elk Moose Mule Deer in Canada. Only problem she ever had was Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in South Africa. Did not expand!! All the rest have been 150 gr. Nosler Partition. DRT.
 
I've used my .280 Remington on three plains game safaris with great success. Harvested gemsbok, hartebeest, wildebeest, springbok, warthog, zebra, kudu, ostrich, waterbuck, and blesbok with one shot kills. Using Hornady superformance 139 gr GMX bullet.

DSCN0846.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Never personally owned one, but my older brother used one for deer for several years. After seeing what it will do to a whitetail, there’s not much this side of dangerous game I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking with it.
 
Hi, TXHUNTER338. I did my first safari to Africa with a old Ruger 77 that was rebarreled to 280AI. This firearm and calibre has never let me down and it has taken many red deer at extended range (400+m). I have also taken wild Bovine Bulls (Cattle) with the 280AI.
In Africa I took a range of plains game including Gemsbuck, Kudu, Wildebeest and Waterbuck. The 280 is a very good calibre for plains game and pleasant to shoot. I load mine with 160gn accubonds. For long range I use 150 gn ballistic tip.
You will not go wrong with a 280.

I can certainly vouch for that. Watching Neale hunt so well with his .280 made me go out and buy one too. Amazing caliber, the big plus for me is that it's also a mild recoiling rifle
 
7x64 seems to be quite popular as a PG rifle and that is a twin of the .280 Rem. Enjoy your shooting!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,375
Members
169,548
Latest member
LucioPrend
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top