.277 Sig Fury for hunters

Another thing when talking hunting application I certainly hope we do not see folks thinking they are able to simply rebarrel a short action to this cartridge most of the actions in circulation were designed and engineered to handle cartridges with operating pressures much lower than 80,000 psi. This is higher than even proof testing which was one round never intended for a steady diet of proof loads let alone a steady diet of loadings operating even higher than a proof testing load. These actions could develop issues or outright failures once subjected to these pressure levels and this could happen gradually or all of the sudden at any time every trigger pull would be a roll of the dice

My post was applying to both military and hunting use. The crazy pressures it operates at will be harder on anything. Perticuarly for hunting rifles the barrels will wear fast assuming anyone intends to actually use and practice with their rifle. For one hunting barrels are typically a slender profile and heat quickly also the steel is usually less wear resistant and bare (extremely rare to see hunting rifles with chrome lined barrels) so 80,000 psi is gonna chew up throats and rifling fast! Now as for the hunting actions most bolt actions are not gonna handle 80,000 psi well at all this would be very dangerous
@Rocco490
The barrel on an SMLE No1 Mk111 is soda straw thin and not chrome lined. During one battle in Korea my father's platoon had the barrels that were that hot it was scorching the timber. They had to throw the rifles in a creek to cool them to allow them to keep shooting. That rifle lasted him the 3 years of the war with a steel barrel.
Bob

Another thing when talking hunting application I certainly hope we do not see folks thinking they are able to simply rebarrel a short action to this cartridge most of the actions in circulation were designed and engineered to handle cartridges with operating pressures much lower than 80,000 psi. This is higher than even proof testing which was one round never intended for a steady diet of proof loads let alone a steady diet of loadings operating even higher than a proof testing load. These actions could develop issues or outright failures once subjected to these pressure levels and this could happen gradually or all of the sudden at any time every trigger pull would be a roll of the dice

Rem 700 was proofed way higher than 80,000 psi as are Styer and Weatherby Mk5 actions, I think Ruger are the same. However like you I would not want to run a steady diet of 80,00opsi loads through them.

From what Iv heard us civilians will probably never see the high pressure steel case version due to liability. The fury in its brass form is nothing really special very close to the 270 at best. That’s what Iv heard on the street and I live in New Hampshire close to sig headquarters.
This stands to reason.

What will this do my Mark V in 270 Weatherby won't? Just asking ...
Hard to get and very costly ammo, expensive rifle..............................Your right what will it do that your Mk V 270 Weatherby won't :LOL: ................Just shite stirring

I paid $800 for mine, and reload so it costs a few pennies more to reload than my 270 (which I gave to my son). It's a little beat but very accurate. It's got a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16X on it now.
kOklSAm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the 270 sig is a stupid idea why do we want such power in a infantry rifle, barrel life would be poor, ammo cost would be high , just stay with the 7.62 Nato in a Gpmg, & may be 6.8 SPC or 6mm Arc for an all purpose rifle. & get rid of 9x19 sub machine guns & replace them with 300 Black out weapons.

K
I think the 270 sig is a stupid idea why do we want such power in a infantry rifle, barrel life would be poor, ammo cost would be high , just stay with the 7.62 Nato in a Gpmg, & may be 6.8 SPC or 6mm Arc for an all purpose rifle. & get rid of 9x19 sub machine guns & replace them with 300 Black out weapons.
That makes too much sense. They think they'll curb the AR market this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross