270 WSM or 7 Remington Magnum

My choice would be the 7 mm RM. I have had one since the early 2000s and it is one of my favorite rifles. I have used it on two African hunts, four Canadian hunts, and on hunts here in Montana for elk and pringhorn antelope.

I was shooting it yesterday at the range, 7 RM from the bench and .308 Win prone, and it felt like the .308 kicked harder???

My choice would be the 7 mm RM. I have had one since the early 2000s and it is one of my favorite rifles. I have used it on two African hunts, four Canadian hunts, and on hunts here in Montana for elk and pringhorn antelope.

I was shooting it yesterday at the range, 7 RM from the bench and .308 Win prone, and it felt like the .308 kicked harder???
It is very likely that he will choose the 7 Reminton Magnum. It will be time to choose rifle and scope. Thank you.

I would choose the 7mm rem mag. It shoots flat, has a wide selection of bullets, & is popular enough to be found in stores most anywhere. I would use 150gr bullets or heavier.

I am a 270 guy…so, I have bias.

the 270 will be a short action, lighter, and more compact rifle. It’s easier to carry and has shorter bolt travel for follow up shots and keeping your head on the stock as you cycle the bolt.

Ballistically, there are a lot of great bullets in both calibers, with the 270 being optimal around the 140-150 gr weights and the 7mm being optimal around the 150-165 gr loads.

In practical terms, the performance would be virtually identical on game.

My deciding point would be which rifle you want to buy. The 270 fits perfectly in a compact mountain rifle like the Model 70 featherweight. The 7mm really needs a full size rifle or recoil and whatnot gets stout.

When I had that choice, I bought a Model 70 featherweight in 270 wsm. It’s a joy to carry, shoots great, and functions perfectly.

7mm rem mag between those 2 specifically. If you would consider a 270 winchester that would be my pick.

Hey, if mesmerized by hypersonic might as well just go 7 STW or 28 Nosler. :) Seriously, I'd pick neither of the two in the OP and go a little milder- either 270 Win or 7x57. Both beltless and common.

Hey, if mesmerized by hypersonic might as well just go 7 STW or 28 Nosler. :) Seriously, I'd pick neither of the two in the OP and go a little milder- either 270 Win or 7x57. Both beltless and common.
In Spain these cartridges do not arrive. I would love the 7 RUM or 7 Weatherby but they are not available in Spain either. Impossible then. I discard the standard cartridges. I do not like.

For your part of the world I would recommend the 7x64 the 7x57 or the 6.5x55 all 3 are time tested and proven rounds.

DISCLAIMER- I don't have a clue what all these gun nuts are spouting off about on this thread :LOL: BUT I can tell you I have a 270WSM and it's a shooting/killing machine! I did not enjoy shooting it until after I added a suppressor as the recoil was slightly unpleasant until after. But now it's one of my go to guns. I have access to handloads so finding ammo isn't too much an issue for me but I can see that as a legit variable.

DISCLAIMER- I don't have a clue what all these gun nuts are spouting off about on this thread :LOL: BUT I can tell you I have a 270WSM and it's a shooting/killing machine! I did not enjoy shooting it until after I added a suppressor as the recoil was slightly unpleasant until after. But now it's one of my go to guns. I have access to handloads so finding ammo isn't too much an issue for me but I can see that as a legit variable.
I am unpredictable, so then I am in the armory and the armorer convinces me and I take the 270wsm. That I'm that stupid.

We'll see when the time comes, the gunsmith tells me. He will try to sell what interests him most. In the end I see myself with a 300 WSM haha.

@oscar1975 - obviously you are welcome to do whatever you want. I will say that I owned a 300WSM for a short time. It was a good rifle but fell well short in terms of the possible performance of a .30 caliber magnum.

Most .30 calibers are capable of shooting bullets up to 220 grains. Even the (non-magnum) 30-06 can do this with many an Elk having fallen to it. However the 300WSM is not capable of loading bullets that are even 200 grains without compressing the powder (handloads), while all other magnums offer factory ammo up to 220 grains.

The 300WSM I had was a Savage 16 and was a shooter with sub-MOA performance. I realized that I wanted to shoot heavier bullets all too late. This combined with the fact that the fat cartridge and steep shoulder made for less than ideal feeding from the magazine doomed its fate. I didn't loose much money on the sale of it, but I do consider it one of my weaker firearm decisions. I've done my best since then to do more research into what I truly want.

There is a big difference between doing empirical research and looking for material to back up your own opinion. Be certain of what you are getting and not falling victim to a magnum marketing campaign as I did.

@oscar1975 - obviously you are welcome to do whatever you want. I will say that I owned a 300WSM for a short time. It was a good rifle but fell well short in terms of the possible performance of a .30 caliber magnum.

Most .30 calibers are capable of shooting bullets up to 220 grains. Even the (non-magnum) 30-06 can do this with many an Elk having fallen to it. However the 300WSM is not capable of loading bullets that are even 200 grains without compressing the powder (handloads), while all other magnums offer factory ammo up to 220 grains.

The 300WSM I had was a Savage 16 and was a shooter with sub-MOA performance. I realized that I wanted to shoot heavier bullets all too late. This combined with the fact that the fat cartridge and steep shoulder made for less than ideal feeding from the magazine doomed its fate. I didn't loose much money on the sale of it, but I do consider it one of my weaker firearm decisions. I've done my best since then to do more research into what I truly want.

There is a big difference between doing empirical research and looking for material to back up your own opinion. Be certain of what you are getting and not falling victim to a magnum marketing campaign as I did.
I think that if you buy a 300, the correct thing to do is to buy the Winchester Magnum of a lifetime, but I don't think that it is a cartridge that complements my 338 Winchester Magnum. I know that for what I want the gun for, even with the 338 WM I could manage, but we gun lovers are like that, if you know how many rifles you have, you don't have enough rifles. And I have another crazy thing, I don't want standard cartridges. I know that a 270 Winchester would be enough for me, with less expense, less recoil and noise and excellent performance. But I am magnum lovers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross