270 WSM or 7 Remington Magnum

Bought my first WSM in ‘03, a Kimber Montana 270 WSM, the pencil dick barrel quickly got switched for a 26” fluted 10” twist MGM. (Match Grade Machine).
I owned a 325 WSM for a while, here in western U.S. in an 8lb rifle is near ideal for elk but it couldn’t replace my Whelen so it got kicked down the road.
I also own an X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WSM and @ 7.5 lbs with VX6 2-12 absolutely love it with 180 Bondstrikes@3100 fps. Hammers elk out to 600 yards and eminently totable in our mountain terrain.
Back to 270 WSM, my primary load is 140 Berger Classic Hunter w/69 grains Retumbo for 3325 fps. I stop @ 5-6 reloads per case but cases could easily take more.
That’s 2000 FPS, and 1200 FPE @ 700 yards. Mule deer death ray.
I have never liked huge cavernous belted cartridges, especially those silly Venturi shouldered Weatherbys.
WSMs not feeding is regurgitated internet nonsense by people who have never owned them. 270 and 300 WSMs are both here to stay. Possibly the new 6.8 Western will cut into 270 WSM with every wannabe ninja sniper thinking they can take game at 19,000 yards distance.
As a non reloader the only downside to WSMs? ammo is pricey compared to standard offerings, not much different than belted magnum cartridges.
Long winded, sorry.

Bought my first WSM in ‘03, a Kimber Montana 270 WSM, the pencil dick barrel quickly got switched for a 26” fluted 10” twist MGM. (Match Grade Machine).
I owned a 325 WSM for a while, here in western U.S. in an 8lb rifle is near ideal for elk but it couldn’t replace my Whelen so it got kicked down the road.
I also own an X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WSM and @ 7.5 lbs with VX6 2-12 absolutely love it with 180 Bondstrikes@3100 fps. Hammers elk out to 600 yards and eminently totable in our mountain terrain.
Back to 270 WSM, my primary load is 140 Berger Classic Hunter w/69 grains Retumbo for 3325 fps. I stop @ 5-6 reloads per case but cases could easily take more.
That’s 2000 FPS, and 1200 FPE @ 700 yards. Mule deer death ray.
I have never liked huge cavernous belted cartridges, especially those silly Venturi shouldered Weatherbys.
WSMs not feeding is regurgitated internet nonsense by people who have never owned them. 270 and 300 WSMs are both here to stay. Possibly the new 6.8 Western will cut into 270 WSM with every wannabe ninja sniper thinking they can take game at 19,000 yards distance.
As a non reloader the only downside to WSMs? ammo is pricey compared to standard offerings, not much different than belted magnum cartridges.
Long winded, sorry.
Great Info from a man who has a 270 WSM not from some know it all that has never shot one. a good cartridge with no feeding issues in my rifle.

My 300 WSM from 24” bbl is pushing that Norma bullet 3100 fps from 54 grains of 4350. My sons 26” 8” twist 300 WinMag takes 71 grains H1000 to achieve same speed.
How many grains of powder does 270 Weatherby use to get 140s rolling 3400 fps?
Burning gobs of powder is expensive and adds substantially to recoil. Short fat WSM expansion ratios equals excellent performance in shorter barrels.

I went with a 270WSM, mainly used as a hiking rifle so went with Kimber Ascent. Had some great trips to NZ and managed some nice game with it. Previously had a Winchester classic in 270 WSM.
Great calibre and very versatile.
I run 130gr TTSX's.
Heres a few pics cheers Mick
carried a lot shot a little
QQlS7U.jpg

264 WM M70, ascent 270wsm
8Ln9XR.jpg
hY8nXC.jpg
ftWhMQ.jpg

win extreme weather , opportune buff 30m neck shod drop on spot
CTjfre.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with a 270WSM, mainly used as a hiking rifle so went with Kimber Ascent. Had some great trips to NZ and managed some nice game with it. Previously had a Winchester classic in 270 WSM.
I run 130gr TTSX's.
View attachment 484164
View attachment 484160View attachment 484163View attachment 484162
View attachment 484161
Excellent photographs and trophies. I have to say that I know people who use the 270 WSM and are amazed by the cartridge. One of the hunters I know and recommends it to me also combines it with a 338WM.

my choice if you are looking at using a long action is the 270wsm
the reason is because you can load out long for better velocity and lower pressure with the 270wsm
l have a 270wsm that started life as a 300wm but in long action so l was restricted in OAL
the rifle shot so well that when the barrel went south l did not want to get rid of it so l researched on a shorter mag round coming up with IMHO the best for a long action that would suit what l am shooting and how l am shooting using the rifle, it is an under half moa performer consistently all day and l have shot beasts out to over 600y with it for a bang flop every time, nothing has got up as of yet shooting 150gr sst's @3200fps, ballistically it shoots flatter than my 6mm dashers with 100gr projectiles
another thing l would like to say is that in other circles it is said that the 7mm has better projectiles but that is old as you have a very good selection of bullets for the 270 cal now,
but in fact the 270 is a true 7mm
there is no shortage of cases but in a pinch they are as easy to make as running 300wsm cases through your 270wsm FL die
if l were shooting closer ranges l would shoot lighter bullets for an even flatter trajectory

2raxcdU.jpg

Personally, I would choose a 270 win first and a 7mm second. Trying to find ammo for the 270 wsm is going to be difficult and expensive with no huge benefit of the 270 win. I shoot 150 grain partitions and A frames in my 270s and 160s in my 7mm mags - both have proven very effective for deer, elk, all manner up plains game including kudu.
+1,all i would add is a 7x57 Mauser. A Classic which will never be obsolete.

Sounds like you’ve made up your mind. I have a Sako Finnlight I’m .270 WSM that I’ve used to good success on elk, deer and antelope with 130 gr TSX

When I was a kid, I used a 25-06 for everything but elk and moose. I used a 338WM for those.

With the many great bullets that we have today, I could be happy with a 270, 280 or 30-06. The bullets like Barnes TSX & TTSX, Nosler ETip, Hornady CX, Federal Terminal Ascent, Swift AFrame & Scirrocco, Woodleigh etc are so good that a person can use smaller calibers with the same success as bigger calibers in the past when using cup and core bullets. And yes, I am a mono-metal fan. Barnes that is. They just work for me.

As for your question, 270WSM or 7RM, hands down I would choose the 270WSM. With today's bullets, the 270WSM will do everything a 7RM did 60 years ago. The 270WSM rifle rifle will be shorter and lighter than the 7RM, everything else being equal. I don't own a 270WSM, but I have shot one and witnessed my friend shooting a large elk. I wish I had a 270WSM, but I don't need one with the other rifles/calibers I currently own and I am getting old enough that my hunting horizon is getting shorter than I like to admit, so saying I should buy another gun is a non-starter.

Get the 270WSM. I don't think you will regret the choice.

I've seen plenty of elk killed with the .270. You just have to make a good shot. (which should be every hunter's goal)

My hunting days are running out also but i do not want to accept it,
so i am still buying rifles & dreaming, my 2 sons who are keen hunters are planning hunts for the old man. I keep telling them to get on with it as i am running out of time, i think the 270 Win& 270 WSM & 7 MM REM are great cartridges i have all 3.

I run 130gr TTSX's.
View attachment 484164
View attachment 484160View attachment 484163View attachment 484162
View attachment 484161
One cannot argue with success.

I believe the 130 grain weight range monolithic types would be my choice for the 270 Winchester & WSM. The Barnes 129 LRX and the 130 TTSX would be at the top of my list.
The 150 grain weight range monolithic bullets are my choice for the 7mm WSM & 7mm Remington.
Personally, I am not expecting a significant difference in trajectory or bullet performance at distances that I would be shooting. So the old school twist rates still work for me. I am partial to the 7mm's. Mainly because I have a little personal history with the 7mm's.

I don't really shoot my under 8mm's much. But, I do have a 270 Winchester & WSM in M70's. No issues with the WSM feeding.

I have both, the 7 mag is so much easier to find ammo for, and is slightly more flexible on load size. They both drop deer like sacks of potatoes. I literally used my 270 wsm this morning on a whitetail to great effect.

I have both and killed elk with both. My 270wsm is 2 pounds lighter (browning titanium) so it gets to the field often. 7mm Remington mag not much.

I agree with AB2506. The .270 WSM has the same performances of the 7 mm R.M. with the advantage of a slightly shorter case, i.e. a shorter action. Therefore, with the same barrel length, a .270 WSM rifle is lighter than another one in 7 mm.
Having said that, I will keep my Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA in 7 mm R.M. for the few next year I will hunt before being too old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vietgen

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!