Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 in .264 WinMag. This crossed off two bucket list items: model and caliber, having never owned either previously. Some of you know I'm a lever gun addict, so bolt gun purchases are uncommon for me.

I am seeking load data advice. I have some amounts of H4831SC and IMR 4831 on hand. Also, a place in ANC has 4064 and 4350 available, so I think I could manage either of those in fairly short order. I live in a remote place in Alaska. Acquiring other powders isn't as simple for me as it is for many of you. So if you have suggestions of favorites, keep in mind I probably can't pull it off. I am likely limited to one of the 4 choices listed.

Bullet possibilities: 127 Barnes LRX, 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips, 125 Nosler Partitions, and 142 Nosler Long Range ABs.

So... what say ye? Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

This is from the Australian ADI loading manual.
H4831SC is known as AR2213SC in Australia.
Hopefully, this might at least give you a place to start. (y)

Russ

E2EpOv1.jpg
XICdSGv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1697370583971.png

1697370660257.png

I don't reload but for pure accuracy, I shoot only Nosler 130 grain Trophy Grade Accubond in my .264. Hard to find now, but I stocked up on it before Covid hit.

When looking at bullet selection make sure to pay attention to minimum twist rates. Most 264WM are 1-9” twist. Measuring with a tight patch would be the most certain way to ascertain.

I have always struggled to get top velocities in the 264WM without hitting “early pressure signs”. I’ve worked with at least four different rifles so chambered. I have found the best velocity and accuracy with Retumbo. If you have H4831SC, you might consider the 125-130gr bullets. I believe slower powders will work better with the heavier bullets.

When I get back home I will look at my load data for you, I have a very accurate load worked up with 4831SC. So on to the important stuff, Pre-64 or new one?

Had a 264 back in the 80’s. Can’t find the load data. But the only powder l used then was either IMR 4350 or 4831. Bullets 125 partitions. Took it elk hunting once so loaded 140 partitions. Both worked well. Really liked the cartridge.

I will look for my load data, but 140gr nosler partition was pill of choice
FWIW once you find a load , hunt with it and enjoy, playing around with loads and bench time will only lead to burnout of the barrel around 800-1000 rounds
its a wonderful caliber @ 3100 fps

I will look for my load data, but 140gr nosler partition was pill of choice
FWIW once you find a load , hunt with it and enjoy, playing around with loads and bench time will only lead to burnout of the barrel around 800-1000 rounds
its a wonderful caliber @ 3100 fp
57.5-58gr 4350 = 3080fps +/-
pre64 M70 26inch barrel

its a hammer load for medium size game like elk, kudos, and smaller

When I get back home I will look at my load data for you, I have a very accurate load worked up with 4831SC. So on to the important stuff, Pre-64 or new one?

Newer. According to the serial number, it's a 1977. It's had two owners, neither of whom shot it very much at all: my co-worker/friend, who sold it to me, and a friend of his who purchased it new. If it's any consolation, in being a post 64, he sold it to me for $700. Cosmetically it looks like it just came out of the box. According to my researching on GunBroker, they are selling for twice that amount. My friend said he gave me a deal because it made him feel good to know it would go to someone who would care for it and enjoy it, and not turn it into a "boat gun" - a common occurrence here.

Sweet deal! I’ve got a Pre 64 Westerer and a M700 Sendero, love both of them, absolute hammer on deer sized game

Congrats TT, how about posting some pictures of your new toy. (y) (y)

Always been intrigued with the round but never owned one. You should be able to get more than a couple thousand rounds thru it I would think especially if you dont try burn the barn down with it.
I know it has a rep for burning barrels though.

4831 is an ok powder for that round. Retumbo or RL22 would be my first choice.

The 127 Branes LRX leave a pencil hole going is and a silver dollar size hole going out. See if you can get them over 3000 fps. They work well on sheep and goat sized game. ;)

I loaded 68 grains of H4831 behind a Hornady 129 grainer in WW brass and with a Fed 215 primer for a year or two Vel was 3368fps from a 24 " bbl. Case life was 2- 3 rounds.....changed to CCi 250 and 66 grains. Got rid of ejector pin marks and case life good. Accuracy very good. I'd try 64 then 65 with a 130 and see what it does. My fav cartridge of all time........best of luck...........FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you