2388 fps vs 2641 fps would it make a difference

Mountaineer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I did a speed test with my 375 H&H this evening. Turns out with 300 grain TBBC bullets Varget powder is shooting 251 fps slower than H414. Assuming I was headed after Cape buffalo would the extra velocity make a real difference?

I did a speed test with my 375 H&H this evening. Turns out with 300 grain TBBC bullets Varget powder is shooting 251 fps slower than H414. Assuming I was headed after Cape buffalo would the extra velocity make a real difference?
Put the bullet where it belongs and he wont care.

Was around 2560 when I shot my Eland. He soaked it up well. He went a little ways fell off a 5' drop off and that is where he was found.

Like others said, which one shoots the best, has the lowest SD? If both are equal and without pressure signs, personally I would run the fast round, only if everything else was equal.

The TBBC is an excellent bullet. I agree that anything around that 2400 is ample. Just out of curiosity, how obtainable are the TBBC in the USA at the moment?

The TBBC is an excellent bullet. I agree that anything around that 2400 is ample. Just out of curiosity, how obtainable are the TBBC in the USA at the moment?
Here in Anchorage Alaska, I have not seen Bear Claw bullets on local store shelves, in several years.
However www.opticsplanet.com right now shows the projectiles for hand loading, (300 grain, caliber .375) in their web site.

The impact velocity of the bullet is above all important, and that is why this muzzle velocity difference can be, depending how is the shooting distance, perhaps noticeable.

That is but imho not a problem, only that in the next time you have to get closer to the buffalo before you shoot.

Yes, purchasing the TBBC is a real problem. After 2 years of looking I have found about 100 bullets. So, yes they are very hard to find.

Why not load with a couple grains more Varget? It should be no problem to attain industry standard 2550 FPS and then your question is only of theoretical interest. For the sake of “gun nut postulating”, many people have said a 9.3x62 is the functional equivalent of the .375H&H. I tend to agree. So in any case, the practical differences between your loads are small.

You will be shooting your buffalo at 20 to 80 yards. 2,400 fps is more than adequate. If you buy Kevin Robertson’s trampoline effect argument it is preferable and maybe even a little fast.

All of the above being generally right, the other aspect is trajectory. If the .375 is to be used in a one-rifle safari including both Buff and PG, 250 fps will show in the trajectory on PG past 150 yards.

Marius, Federal shows .375 300 grain Bear Claws in stock and available. But they’re $168.00 for a box of 25. That’s $6.72 per bullet!!! But they’re available.

All of the above being generally right, the other aspect is trajectory. If the .375 is to be used in a one-rifle safari including both Buff and PG, 250 fps will show in the trajectory on PG past 150 yards.

Sure, the loss will already be noticeable in the external ballistics. That's why I wrote that the TS has to get closer to the buffalo, it was not only just for fun.

The discussion would certainly be easier to conduct if it were about a big bore rifle.

@Mountaineer
Your shoulder will notice the difference but I don't think the game will care.
Then again I'm in the Tim the Toolman corner. More power.
As long as you get the accuracy and the projectile can handle the extra stress I go for FULL THROTTLE but that's just me.
Some say heavy and slow gets the job done just fine but more power can be good to.
Only YOU can decide the buff won't care.
Bob

2388 is enough, which load is more accurate, better SD and so on.
@Wyatt Smith
If'n the 375 with a 300 at 2,388fps is enough then the Whelen with a 310 at 2,455fps and an sd the same as a 350gn 375 should do as well.
Just not legal
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoelPrerau

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.