2388 fps vs 2641 fps would it make a difference

The buffalo won’t know the difference if you hit him correctly but your shoulder will depending how recoil sensitive you are. Maybe not on the buffalo shot but mainly in practice.

The math at the muzzle is about 1000ft/lbs more with the faster load…with good shot placement, I’d go with the hotter load if it shoots accurately and you like to shoot it. Better at longer ranges if you have to as well.

I did a speed test with my 375 H&H this evening. Turns out with 300 grain TBBC bullets Varget powder is shooting 251 fps slower than H414. Assuming I was headed after Cape buffalo would the extra velocity make a real difference?

For me, the #1 consideration is the best bullet for the job.

For me, the #2 consideration is the lightest recoiling load at acceptable velocity in the assumption less recoil equates to a more confident shooter. I do not consider the most accurate loading in my thinking at all, only a proper load with a great bullet that has acceptable accuracy.

In a far, far distant consideration, I’d be thinking about velocity. The most neutered 375HH load is still better than the best 9.3x62 load, and that caliber has also killed a lot of buffalo.

The 2388 fps load will probably penetrate a bit deeper than the 2641 fps loads. Faster bullets loose energy faster because they open more rapidly.

With the same shot placement, the buffalo will die from both load.

Go with the load you have the most confidence in it.

It's not the foot pounds that kills. It's the bullet.

The math at the muzzle is about 1000ft/lbs more with the faster load…with good shot placement, I’d go with the hotter load if it shoots accurately and you like to shoot it. Better at longer ranges if you have to as well.
The OP is talking hunting Cape Buffalo.....ft/lbs never killed a buff and "longer range" should not be part of the recipe...."hot loads" and Cape buffalo are not compatible......
High SD bullets of premium grade expanders are the recipe....not ft/lbs and velocity....simple but unfortuanety the need for speed is an ever present nemesis....

The OP is talking hunting Cape Buffalo.....ft/lbs never killed a buff and "longer range" should not be part of the recipe...."hot loads" and Cape buffalo are not compatible......
High SD bullets of premium grade expanders are the recipe....not ft/lbs and velocity....simple but unfortuanety the need for speed is an ever present nemesis....

Spot on

I understood the OPs question, thank you.

The 251 fps difference in the OPs loads does make a physical kinetic difference. A premium bullet, ON target, will have more KE that translates to work, imparting greater tissue trauma, more hydrostatic shock and deeper penetration. This has worked well for me.

I added, not to the OPs original question, that a little extra velocity makes some longer shoots a bit more advantageous if hunting other game with the same rifle and bullet combo. I like taking one rifle and load when possible. I’ve done similar with a 375 on 2 safaris.

Different recipes for success.

So you need more than 2400 fps with a 300gr premium expander for buff and pg?

Went to the range this morning and shot the H414 loads. The results were excellent, but I think it kicked twice as hard. Lol. The bottom barrel was grouping under an inch. The top barrel a little more, but still acceptable. The regulation of the two barrels was very similar to the varget loads. I spoke with Ken Owen last week and he will correct the regulation. This will allow me to use the bear claw when I’m hunting Cape Buffalo and then the 260 nosler partitions on all other hunting. Thanks to everyone for your advice. For all our sake let’s hope bullets become easier to find. Safe hunting!

So you need more than 2400 fps with a 300gr premium expander for buff and pg?

It not about need, it is about having the best package. If you have a chance at (insert PG here), it's 300 yards away the extra velocity will be better. Yes yes I know get closer, we all know that sometimes it is not possible.

I did a speed test with my 375 H&H this evening. Turns out with 300 grain TBBC bullets Varget powder is shooting 251 fps slower than H414. Assuming I was headed after Cape buffalo would the extra velocity make a real difference?
SFA I imagibe.

At 300 yards, if both loads are sighted in at 200, the 2388 fps load will land at -12,26 inches, and the 2641 fps load will land at -9,7 inches.

There's less than 3/4 of an inch difference in trajectory at 100 yards.

That's 2,56 inches of difference at 300. Less than MOA.

If that can give you an advantage in the field, you are a far better shooter than me.

Last edited:
That's just a little faster than my 500 Jeffery shooting 570 TSX's and A-Frames at 2300 fps. I'd try and get your handloads up to 2500 fps. The really neat thing about the 375 H&H is it's versatility and still is a great DG round.

Since we now know your rifle is a double, the answer will depend somewhat on the results of re-regulating the barrels. As mentioned before, ultimate accuracy is irrelevant for hunting Cape buffalo, since they are large and are shot at short range. But usefulness on smaller species and confidence requires both barrels to shoot very near to the same point. Good luck with the fine tuning!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruby

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?