.22 magnum on bigger varmints

@safari Dave
In Australia you are lucky if you can find 22 mag ammo cheaper than $31 a box of 50.
Bob
it was same here in the states but eventually came back down to normal $10-$15. You just have to ask yourself 1 question: Is She Worth it? Well, is She? LOL -Harry Callahan

I love my .22 mag for varmints, mainly coons and woodchucks. Best $100 firearm I have ever bought! One shot kills with 40gr hollow points. I killed a big coon at 97 steps, and it went down hard. I keep mine set up with open sights cuz I'm only comfortable with its power out to 100yds. After that its .204 or .223 time.

I've killed a truckload of raccoons with a .22 Mag (I have chickens, so they come near the coop all the time). The coons were so thick for a while I even took the mag squirrel hunting in case I ran into one.

coon #10_2.jpg

I find the mag a little more effective for longer shots in the river bottom behind my property. I have killed a coyote with it but prefer the .22-250 if targeting wiley.

I’ve recently started using CCI Stingers for raccoons. They are a HUGE step up from a standard high velocity 22 long rifle. Body shots are much more decisive, and head shots are an immediate lights out.

I will be bringing a 22WMR along with my 375 this June to Africa, I have a 204 Ruger which is a good varmit gun but turns small creatures to a red mist. I shot a Javelina with it a few years ago and the offside exploded, I used a 223 that belonged to @Doug3006 and had a Javelina I could mount. Small predators and Guinea fowl will hopefully get a taste of this medicine.

Reactions: 503
I have a ruger american in 22 mag. It shoots great, have a cheap bushnell scope on it. Hopefully get to try it on some armadillos soon.

Cheers

20211202_171431.jpg
20211207_123212.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@gajie270
Never seen the need for a 22 magnum when I have a 22 hornet. With today's prices I can load the hornet CHEAPER than I can buy 22 mag ammo and load it down to 22lr or all they way up to 22 hornet or points in between.
Nick Harvey a gun writer in Australia has used the 22 mag with the new 50gn projectiles to take game up to smaller pigs and goats at closer ranges and says out to 75 yards it's fine for smaller fallow deer but I personally wouldn't do that. On coyotes and raccoons it should be fine.
Just my rambling Bob
Well, you've just about convinced me to go this route instead of 22WMR. Does the hornet use a smaller rifle primer I suppose?

Well, you've just about convinced me to go this route instead of 22WMR. Does the hornet use a smaller rifle primer I suppose?
@steve white
Yes small rifle primers, H110 or even better Lil gun and have fun.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross