.22 magnum on bigger varmints

I've taken many American "big game" animals with both while doing work for a game agency.

A 22 LR has been fine for racoons out to 50 yards. A 22 LR is also OK for while-tail deer (illegal for sports hunting) and hogs with well-placed, short range brain shots (10 yards or less). (I like CCI Velocitors, to get good penetration).

CCI Stingers are devastating on small game, but their light weight hollow-point bullet will not penetrate very far, and I won't use them on animals over 10 pounds. The cases are longer than normal for a .22 Long Rifle and won't chamber on a few rifles.

A .22 Magnum (WMR) is a much more powerful round (2.5-3 times the muzzle energy of a .22LR).

I like 40g+ copper-cased solids to get maximum penetration to euthanize injured animals in populated areas where noise is not too much of a problem and I have a good backstop. Some of my coworkers prefer heavy (40g+) copper-cased expanding bullets.

For coyotes and racoons - I think a .22 Magnum is plenty for both out to 100 yards. If I cared to recover the bodies, I'd use CCI Gamepoints - 40g. JSP - 1,875 FPS

(I thought CCI used to make 45g JSP Gamepoints with a muzzle velocity of 2,100 fps, but I guess I was either wrong, or they don't make them any longer).

If they did, that would be what to use for every larger animal.

IME, the .17 HMR is quite a bit more accurate at distance than a .22 WRM, but doesn't have nearly the energy.

I think it may be because better quality bullets are available in .17 than and in .22 Mag.

Most .17 HMR bullets are very light and many rifle that are chambered for it are very accurate. The trouble is, that at 200 yards the .17 is more likely to hit the target, but has hardly any energy to penetrate the target.

At 200 yards, the .17 will win almost every time on a paper target. The .22 WMR will do more damage.

Neither is a cartridge to use at 200 yards on anything bigger than a squirrel,

It seems every year I have to wage a war on raccoons. I’ll kill them with whatever is handy at the time. They are truly tough critters. The 22lr works well on brain shots in my experience and is my preference for shooting them inside the shed for obvious reasons.
I have had them crawl off frequently after getting shot with a 30-06 or 45 acp (I keep those in the truck). A good shot is still necessary. If there is one in the garden I normally grab a 12 gauge with No.4 buckshot. They tend to be on the move, and there is often more than one.
However when hunting them for fur I always use a 22lr because they are stationary allowing a good shot.

It seems every year I have to wage a war on raccoons. I’ll kill them with whatever is handy at the time. They are truly tough critters. The 22lr works well on brain shots in my experience and is my preference for shooting them inside the shed for obvious reasons.
I have had them crawl off frequently after getting shot with a 30-06 or 45 acp (I keep those in the truck). A good shot is still necessary. If there is one in the garden I normally grab a 12 gauge with No.4 buckshot. They tend to be on the move, and there is often more than one.
However when hunting them for fur I always use a 22lr because they are stationary allowing a good shot.
I too wage war against raccoon and have found that using the dog proof raccoon trap to be the most effective in catching them. The secret is to put half a cotton ball under the trigger, then put the bait on top of the cotton ball. Since I started doing this, none of my traps have been pick-pocketed. I've gotten as many as 3 in one night within feet of each other. The 22lr does the rest.
1671358616416.png

I too wage war against raccoon and have found that using the dog proof raccoon trap to be the most effective in catching them. The secret is to put half a cotton ball under the trigger, then put the bait on top of the cotton ball. Since I started doing this, none of my traps have been pick-pocketed. I've gotten as many as 3 in one night within feet of each other. The 22lr does the rest.
View attachment 506154
They do work very well. I like to tie mine off to brake rotor so I can move it easily.

Not clear on what you plan/want to use these on, but both 22LR and 22WM will kill anything on earth in the right condition and hit in the right spot, but why risk it? “Use enough gun”! Much more low risk humane ways to kill a living creature.
22LR works fine on trap lines for most anything. Controlled condition.
On coyotes I have used 30 carbine (HP), 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 30-06 125 gr Sierra, 243, 25-06, and probably something else I can’t recall.
Coyote calling, IMO&E, is the best use of an accurized AR or Mini-14 platforms. You never know how many are coming in.
Raccoons, pine martens, grey and red foxes, turkeys, and even bobcats have fallen to my 22WM, but I still prefer more power.
Best of luck on what ever you decide to do! It just seems like a good opportunity to step up in a cartridge…LOL!

Last edited:
Been thinking about getting one. Have heard the 22 mag is finicky about ammo for accuracy?

Another round to consider is the .17 wsm (Winchester Super Magnum). Mine is in a Savage B-Mag which isn’t the fanciest gum but I’ve had a lot of fun with it and have dumped a dozen coyotes from 30-250 yards with it. I still prefer my .223 though.

Have enjoyed this thread. I have shot a ton of 22LR since I was a kid and probably 20 ounces of 22Mag. I took the step from 22lr to 22 Hornet and found them to both be suitable from the small game I would hunt with them. Looks like I need to look at the 22 Mag and the 17cal rim fires too.

When I can't hunt on weekends, I often shoot long-range rimfire metallic silhouette tournaments.

( I shoot a stupid-expensive .22LR hunting rifle (Anschutz 1416) with stupid expensive ammo (Lapua Center-X) just for kicks and giggles (no $).

We shoot 1/4 size Chickens at 80 yards, Pigs at 125 yards, Turkeys at 175 yards and Rams at 212 yards.

When I make a solid shot at a ram at 212 yds, it always falls down.

For some reason, .17 HMR's don't always knock them down, even though they are usually much more accurate.

I am a fan of the .22mag and have been rather surprised at the comments regarding its use on coyote s

FB7D32BC-6863-494A-A396-011EB0C7DBA1.jpeg

Coyotes- lethal especially with the TNT bullets from CCI, which are made for fur bearing animals and a chest shot drops them like a lock.

Bobcats - Again TNT bullets

Hogs - not my ideal caliber but I’ve killed literally tons of wild hogs with .22mag round nose CCI

My favorite all around bullet is the Fiocchi 40gr jacketed soft point.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 7.47.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 7.47.44 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 7.47.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 7.47.46 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 7.47.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 7.47.47 AM.png
    541.5 KB · Views: 39
I live trap and relocate raccoons. They are absolute suckers for a havahart trap with half an apple in it and its fun too.

what are people's experiences using 22 magnum and 22lr on coyotes and raccoons? Similarly, how big of animals have you used these rimfires for?
@gajie270
Never seen the need for a 22 magnum when I have a 22 hornet. With today's prices I can load the hornet CHEAPER than I can buy 22 mag ammo and load it down to 22lr or all they way up to 22 hornet or points in between.
Nick Harvey a gun writer in Australia has used the 22 mag with the new 50gn projectiles to take game up to smaller pigs and goats at closer ranges and says out to 75 yards it's fine for smaller fallow deer but I personally wouldn't do that. On coyotes and raccoons it should be fine.
Just my rambling Bob

The coyotes in Georgia, where I live, can go over 50lbs, and a 22mag would be minimum for those if ranges are kept fairly short. 22 hornet on up through 243 is what I've used mostly. For coons, the 22lr works great. No need for anything else.
@TOBY458
There you go again mate putting the pos 243 in with a real cartridge the 22 hornet.
Why use that useless noise 243 on yotes when you can get almost 5 reloads in the hornet for the same amount of powder as one 243.

A nice 40gn VMax and 10gn of H110 in the hornet and you have an ideal 200 yard coyote rifle. Effective and won't annoy the neighbours. One shot in the chest and they gone. Works well on wild dogs in my K Hornet.
Please stop telling people the 243 is useful or did you work for Winchester advertising department at one time.
Bob

I've used a 22lr for raccoon and smaller varmints at distances of 50 and less yards to good effect. For coyote, I'd want a centerfire from 5.56mm up to 7mm depending on the distance and size of the animals. Coyote in some areas can be up to 50# and there are no points deducted for making them extra dead. I'd leave the 22WMR in the vault and use something more powerful.

All that said, my rifle calibers are 22lr and then jump to 300WM so I suppose I'd use the .30 caliber for that particular situation. I'll let you guys explain to my wife that this is why I need a 257WBY...:ROFLMAO:
@BeeMaa
How many times do I need to tell you. All you need is a 22 or 22K Hornet
A good 25
And a Whelen
Plus what ever else floats your boat.
The first 3 get the job done. All others bar a 243 are just more fun to have.
YOU NEED A 25 CAL AND A 22 HORNET.
Bob

Have enjoyed this thread. I have shot a ton of 22LR since I was a kid and probably 20 ounces of 22Mag. I took the step from 22lr to 22 Hornet and found them to both be suitable from the small game I would hunt with them. Looks like I need to look at the 22 Mag and the 17cal rim fires too.
@AZDAVE
Just load the hornet down to 22 mag velocity and save money for more shooting.
I load Winchester 40gn 22 mag hollow points ( last lot I bought was 15 bucks for 175 of them) with 8gn of 2400 or H110 for about 2,000 fps. Instant 22 mag
Bob

I've seen CCI .22 Mag for $11.99/50 rounds recently. That's not as cheap as it used to be, but it's not bad now (IMO)

I have used .22 LR, .22 mag, and .22 Hornet for a lot of my varmint shooting. In my opinion, the .22 LR is not really adequate for raccoons and coyotes. But I've used it on both animals for that purpose and it kills, just not quickly and decisively.
I prefer more powerful cartridges than the .22 magnum for coyotes, mostly because I seldom get a shot at them at under 100 Meters in the open plains where I live. Within 100M, a .22 magnum is an adequate and effective coyote cartridge. A .22 Hornet is what I call "minimum" coyote cartridge for the hunting I do. A Hornet is good to 200M or a bit more.
I use my .22 magnum a lot for shooting nuisance beavers. My rifle is also an Anschutz like Hunter-Habib's. A mature beaver can weigh 30 KG, more than any coyote or raccoon around here. Shots are generally close, within 50M and usually head shots. Obviously head shots work. But a 40 gr. HP will kill a beaver quickly with a chest shot too. I think beavers are just as "tough" as raccoons, maybe more so.
So the short answer is, from my experience, use a .22 mag not a .22 LR, and keep your shots fairly close and you'll be OK.

I’ve shot several Muntjac deer (weighing 70Lb on average) with a .22 Magnum. Rifle was an Anschutz Model 1515-16 with double set triggers. Ammo was CCI Maxi-Mag 40Gr Hollowpoints. They drop like lighting, if shot placement is critical. However, I personally prefer a .22 Hornet. More horsepower.
View attachment 505905View attachment 505906
i had such a pile of those empty boxes sitting on top of a beam in my Dad's barn...decades later he joked that the wall of (22 Mag) boxes insulated and kept him warmer in winter! LOL He and a friend had the (1975) barn demolished before i could get to that beam, but i'd have saved 'em all and built a wall elsewhere! Win ammo was more accurate, but CCI was more available (because of the former.) Beautiful gun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!