.22 magnum on bigger varmints

gajie270

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
America
what are people's experiences using 22 magnum and 22lr on coyotes and raccoons? Similarly, how big of animals have you used these rimfires for?

I'm not wild about using 22LR for coyotes. 22 mag works better but, for me, only if it's a reasonable distance and I have time to place the shot for a clean quick kill, and am concerned about ruining the hide. I prefer larger calibers for "reaching out" but bullet choice is important if I'm planning on selling the hides.

Raccoons are generally close enough for 22LR but critters larger than that I use larger calibers. Even then, the first shot has to do it or else it's not a quick kill and you have to poke more holes in the hide.

My :S 2 Cents:

No experience with a .22 mag but have taken several raccoons with .22LR. I usually brain them at short range. Lung shots; they tend to run. I’ve never shot one past 20yds.
I personally wouldn’t even attempt to take a coyote with a .22 LR.

I like .223 for yotes.. ammo is plentiful and reasonably cheap.. and hits hard enough at the distances I'd typically take a shot on a yote to pretty much guarantee dropping him with any hit other than a shot in the ass.. .223 is one of the few center fire rifle calibers I don't reload for.. Hornady Black 75gr BTHP feeds really well in one of my AR's that's set up for hunting.. and hits like a ton of bricks.. Its been incredibly effective on pigs and yotes around here..

For coons, my set up is a simple ruger 10/22 with an aimpoint optic on it.. I use whatever ammo I grab out of the ammo locker (Ive got probably 10,000 rounds on hand.. bricks of everything from winchester to remington to federal to cci, etc.. for years I just picked up 300 and 500 round bricks whenever I saw them until I thought I had enough ammo on hand to last me the rest of my life... thankfully that was back when you could still get .22 LR for anywhere between $0.02 and $0.03 per round.. most of the ammo is 40 gr HP.. but there is a good bit of 36 gr soft point, copper plated, etc out there as well... pretty much any of it is more than effective enough on a coon whether shooting him off the front porch at 20 yards, or out of the top of a tree at 30 yards..

it'll kill raccoons no problemo. coyotes out west, no problem under ~100 yds, using traditional, heavier bullets and either head shots or archery-type broadside shots. in the east (larger bodies due to cross with extinct wolf,) i'd shorten that range. 'Saw quite a few shot w/ solids as a kid (they'd always run, but always died w/ a good shot) to preserve the pelts for sale. Corrected the range issue w/ a .22-250 and heavier, higher bc bullets (60gr+). The true home of the WMR is woodchucks/prairie dogs/squirrels and yard pests using CCI shotshells. The 22 Mag extends the effective range of the LR by 2-3x (150 yds). Great round. My 1st gun ("Chuckster" model w/ the heavy, long bbl!) Still have it (and paid 2x what I bought it for 45 yrs ago to get it re-blued.) Still shoots great using the orig. Win X 40 gr ammo. Does NOT like the hyper velocity 20ish-30ish gr pills (that run out of V and E at lesser range) they peddle nowadays.

what are people's experiences using 22 magnum and 22lr on coyotes and raccoons? Similarly, how big of animals have you used these rimfires for?
Many years ago when my buddy and and I were in our late teens and early twenties, we called in and killed coyotes with .22 LRs. We preferred CCI Stinger rounds in the lungs. One tiny hole going in and no exit. The hides were left in good shape. We did have to trail a couple for a little way, but we didn't lose any. In the thick chaparral of Northern California the shooting was always inside of about 60 yards. The .22 would not be my first choice as a varmint round but at that stage in our lives we couldn't really afford anything more specialized, so it was either .22s or deer rifles and they do work. Now I live in Washington and use a .22-250 when I call coyotes. I also have an AR in 5.56/.223 but I don't really like the platform for hunting, and have never used it for that, though I know some people do.

The only raccoons that I have ever shot were in live traps, and for that even a .22 short at the back of the skull at the spine works perfectly well. Lights out.

I’ve shot several Muntjac deer (weighing 70Lb on average) with a .22 Magnum. Rifle was an Anschutz Model 1515-16 with double set triggers. Ammo was CCI Maxi-Mag 40Gr Hollowpoints. They drop like lighting, if shot placement is critical. However, I personally prefer a .22 Hornet. More horsepower.
5FAA4C7F-18FD-459A-94DE-B26591755368.jpeg
98471027-B393-46D3-A087-AA92DC4FE09C.jpeg

I am a big 22WMR fan and have always used a revolver or rifle in 22WMR much more than 22LR. I have killed a lot of small game, coyotes and hogs with the 22WMR. However, you have to pick your shots. Other cartridges listed in this thread are much better for the bigger varmints.

Safe hunting

I have had hunted extensively with the .22 mag. I have taken everything you can think of except coyote. I want those dogs dead!
I’ve used the .22mag so much over the years that I believe it is what caused much of my hearing damage. It’s not a .22lr! I’ve had the best luck with the Winchester black ammo. It has power and accuracy.

Coyotes can be pests....and if so, a 22WMR works great. Not the hard ball 40 grainer, or the more rare hardball 50 grainer once made (at 1650fps), but one of the newer 33grainers at 2200+fps. I've taken a bunch of pest coyotes. But if you are actively seeking coyotes for pelts, I switch to the Hornet or the 223 depending upon the terrain I'm hunting............best of luck with the dogs. A big coon shot with a 40 grain 22 LR will often pack it off, but you won't see him again. A 22WMR puts him DRT if you need that.................FWB

Coyotes can be pests....and if so, a 22WMR works great. Not the hard ball 40 grainer, or the more rare hardball 50 grainer once made (at 1650fps), but one of the newer 33grainers at 2200+fps. I've taken a bunch of pest coyotes. But if you are actively seeking coyotes for pelts, I switch to the Hornet or the 223 depending upon the terrain I'm hunting............best of luck with the dogs. A big coon shot with a 40 grain 22 LR will often pack it off, but you won't see him again. A 22WMR puts him DRT if you need that.................FWB
I'm thinking hard about having a 17wsm spun up for my RimX to play around with. It looks like an interesting cartridge. Also have plans for a 22GT, it should do well.

I have hunted more with a 22LR and killed to many pigs to count. All of them were taken with a ear shot. As for a 22mag I have hunted more in African then in the US with one. I have shot Steinbuk, Grysbuk, Bush Duikers and two warthogs.

I've used a 22lr for raccoon and smaller varmints at distances of 50 and less yards to good effect. For coyote, I'd want a centerfire from 5.56mm up to 7mm depending on the distance and size of the animals. Coyote in some areas can be up to 50# and there are no points deducted for making them extra dead. I'd leave the 22WMR in the vault and use something more powerful.

All that said, my rifle calibers are 22lr and then jump to 300WM so I suppose I'd use the .30 caliber for that particular situation. I'll let you guys explain to my wife that this is why I need a 257WBY...:ROFLMAO:

Peoples perception of what is an effective varmint gun is very subjective. A .22LR is absolutely adequate for animals up to coyote given good shot placement.

This is my raccoon, coyote, woodchuck etc. rifle and it is absolutely up to the task, head or chest shots:

20210311_190146.jpg
20210421_190706.jpg

A .22LR limits effectiveness on these animals to around 100 yards for smaller varmints and 75 yards for coyote, a .22 Mag doubles those probably.

The FX also has the advantage of Supreme accuracy with such a puny muzzle report, the animal likely never registers it before having its heart and lungs perforated by the round.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy the .22 LR and the .17HMR, no experience with the.22 Magnum, I’m sure it’s great.

Within reasonable ranges the do a fantastic job on smaller animals. I’ve shot a bunch of prairie dogs wit the .17 HMR and it’s a ton of fun.

For pure function the .223/5.56 does all the things the .22 Mag and .17 HMR does, then add 250 yards to that. It works from 30 yards to 350. Also, .223 is reloadable and can be tailored to fit your situation in a bolt or AR 15.

In general for a price that is only pennies more than a .22 Mag or .17 HMR.

So if I had to buy my first gun for coyotes and stuff, hard to not pick the .223. Too much for raccoons though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross