2024 Double Rifle MSRP's?

A James Purdey & Sons .600 Nitro Express sidelock ejector starts at £191,500 (no extras).

But don’t worry. It’s still going to be mine, someday… as soon as I find a way to rob the National Bank.

By comparison, a Holland & Holland Royale .600 Nitro Express sidelock ejector costs “Only” £179,000.
Don’t forget the prices quoted are before VAT or Sales Taxes !

I feel like a vulture :oops: waiting for some one to fall of the apple cart or one to fall of the back of a truck:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Chapuis doesn’t do a 500, they just do the .375, 450/400 and 470.

I believe the current 2024 MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) is the same as MSRP. On a new Elan it’s as follows
450/400 - $14,049
470NE - $15,499

Wait times for a factory ordered gun are 12-18months based on the conversation I had with one of their reps and a dealer. It took over a year for my 470. I believe they took a slight price increase last year. In 2021 when I ordered mine, MAP was $14,499 on the 470. I know there are a few new ones out there at certain dealers for this price. This leads me to believe they might be New Old Stock from a prior year, but without talking to them I can’t confirm.

I know a dealer either a VC Round Body - CCH in 500NE that has it listed for $16,500. If it wasn’t too short for me, I’d have already bought it.
No Chapuis in .500? A well known Zim PH bought one here in Zim, used like new He paid either five or seven thousand US dollars shoots snake eyes.

Lon

Attachments

• F. W. HEYM 88B BOXLOCK EJECTOR DANGEROUS GAME - Poulin Auctions.pdf
    192.3 KB · Views: 21
  • ITALIAN PERUGINI & VISINI SAFARI DOUBLE RIFLE WITH - Poulin Auctions.pdf
    206 KB · Views: 11
  • MERKEL USA MODEL 140-2 SAFARI DOUBLE RIFLE. - Poulin Auctions.pdf
    171.5 KB · Views: 18
New isn't always the best route. At the same time, buying used...you may end up with someone else's problem.

Double rifle education can be expensive if done after the purchase. You really need to know EXACTLY what you are getting and that's tough. It can take years to acquire the necessary knowledge about what actions work best, who makes them, how to know if there were problems in the past from just a picture...etc. Having a friend with such knowledge would be a big advantage in this area.

Not to mention the regulation process that will be required and range time to do proper testing. It's a big undertaking to have it done correctly. The best deals are from those that have done all this work and are giving up hunting with a DR and have something that you are looking for. I know there are a few AH members out there who may fall into that category.

If it were me, I'd start with my budget and go from there. Have some cartridges in mind but I wouldn't be too concerned about the difference between a 470NE and 500NE because the game is unlikely to know the difference. Better to concern yourself with the inner workings of the firearm and making sure it's safe and reliable...then if the gun is good, look at the cartridge it shoots to see if you are willing to commit to it.

Keep an eye out and best of luck to you.
@BeeMaa agree and if I had it to “do over” would definitely buy good quality “Used” and in a classic common caliber (.470NE etc..). One thing is certain with a used big caliber double rifle — it has a low round count. Nobody fires 1000s of .470NE rounds and some rifles will have fewer then 100 rounds put through them in their lifetime. For a savings or 30%+ I would certainly take a hard look for good condition “used DR”.

No Chapuis in .500? A well known Zim PH bought one here in Zim, used like new He paid either five or seven thousand US dollars shoots snake eyes.

Lon
As far as I know, they don’t currently make one. If they did, I’d have bought that over the 470 because of the amount of ammo I have for the 500. When I asked I was told 470 was the biggest.

They might’ve made one in the past but it’s not on their website or in their catalog

I have no idea about current production. Clive Halimore PH is the owner. Loves it.

I have no idea about current production. Clive Halimore PH is the owner. Loves it.
I don’t doubt he has one, for a working gun I think it’d be a great option. Wish I could’ve found one in 500 when whenever they did make them.

@BeeMaa agree and if I had it to “do over” would definitely buy good quality “Used” and in a classic common caliber (.470NE etc..). One thing is certain with a used big caliber double rifle — it has a low round count. Nobody fires 1000s of .470NE rounds and some rifles will have fewer then 100 rounds put through them in their lifetime. For a savings or 30%+ I would certainly take a hard look for good condition “used DR”.
Every used double I have bought immediately went to JJ Perodeau for a complete inspection and repairs if needed. When I got it back I knew it was perfect!

Every used double I have bought immediately went to JJ Perodeau for a complete inspection and repairs if needed. When I got it back I knew it was perfect!
Fellow Rifle Enthusiasts,

I’m +1 with Rare Breed on his philosophy here.

My below pics show a Ferlach built (Franz Sodia) double .375 H&H Magnum (standard belted rimless), with 26” ejector barrels that I bought used, at The Dallas Safari Club Convention, January of this year.
Then immediately, I sent it to JJ Perodeau, of Sand Springs, Oklahoma for inspection, removal of solidified internal grease, some very delicate hand lapping of the underlugs and etc., etc., as it was very stiff to open, VERY.
After all that, I now have only a bit over $10,000. USA Dollars total spent on this rifle, with the purchase, the Gunsmithing, plus the shipping and insurance all inclusive.

I’d rather it was a Westley Richards drop lock, in .450-.400 caliber, with spare .303 British caliber barrels and with spare shot barrels in 20 gauge, 3” .
But, this Ferlach .375 cost perhaps 1/10th of said Westley, so with my blue collar income, there is no contest.
And so, I am tickled pink with my “new” rifle.
I first saw it on gunsinternational.com, perhaps a year prior to stumbling across it in person, down in Dallas, Texas.
Indeed I expect it will serve me extremely well.

With all the global corruption, red tape and general bullying of hunters and gun owners, especially within the international airport systems, I no longer cross international borders with firearms.
So regarding my double .375 Magnum and Africa, as sad as that is, it will not see Africa with me.
However, my trigger finger twitches just thinking about hunting feral piggy with it, one of these crazy years, down on Gizmo’s Rockin G Ranch, near Childress, Texas, USA.

Parting Shot as it were:
Incidentally, gunsinyernational.com is also a great resource for determining what specific firearms are selling for on any given day.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

IMG_9609.png
IMG_8904.png
IMG_8903.png
IMG_8902.png
IMG_8848.jpeg
IMG_8905.png

Last edited by a moderator:

My below pics show a Ferlach built (Franz Sodia) double .375 H&H Magnum (standard belted rimless), with 26” ejector barrels that I bought used, at The Dallas Safari Club Convention, January of this year.
Then immediately, I sent it to JJ Perodeau, of Sand Springs, Oklahoma for inspection, removal of solidified internal grease, some very delicate hand lapping of the underlugs and etc., etc., as it was very stiff to open, VERY.
After all that, I now have only a bit over $10,000. USA Dollars total spent on this rifle, with the purchase, the Gunsmithing, plus the shipping and insurance all inclusive.

I’d rather it was a Westley Richards drop lock, in .450-.400 caliber, with spare .303 British caliber barrels and with spare shot barrels in 20 gauge, 3” .
But, this Ferlach .375 cost perhaps 1/10th of said Westley, so with my blue collar income, there is no contest.
I first saw it on gunsinternational.com, perhaps a year prior to stumbling across it in person, down in Dallas, Texas.

With all the global corruption, red tape and general bullying of hunters and gun owners, especially within the international airport systems, I no longer cross international borders with firearms.
So regarding my double .375 Magnum and Africa, as sad as that is, it will not see Africa with me.
However, my trigger finger twitches just thinking about hunting feral piggy with it, one of these crazy years, down on Gizmo’s Rockin G Ranch, near Childress, Texas, USA.

Parting Shot as it were:
Incidentally, gunsinyernational.com is also a great resource for determining what specific firearms are selling for on any given day.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
GUN THAT PURTY, I THINK I WOULD JUMP THRU THE COUPLE HOOPS TO GET TO HUNT IT IN SOUTH AFRICA.

@Velo Dog - That is a beautiful double. Especially the extended top metal to the comb of the stock, just class. You should enjoy that rifle however you see fit, but I'd be packing that thing for Africa faster than a hiccup.

If you haven’t done so already, I would take a look at the website for Champlin Arms in Enid OK. They seem to have quite a few nice used doubles. May also have some new ones
Yes that is a very informative site with real prices on available rifles. Also it takes away any doubt on a dubious deal :)

Worth a click for sure!

They do give a strong endorsement of the Chaupis double if going new, offering a lifetime warranty.

Also some intriguing historical pieces if adding to a legacy is of interest to you.

Attachments

• Champlin Firearms - Gun Vault - Quality Firearms.pdf
    249.6 KB · Views: 10

Parting Shot as it were:

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

View attachment 608464View attachment 608465View attachment 608466View attachment 608467View attachment 608468View attachment 608469
Wow! A double that good, and for such a reasonable price. We'll done Velo Dog.

Thanks Kevin,

And ya, I’d rather be lucky than good.
On this double rifle topic, it is simply disgusting that like minds, such as you, myself and quite a few others in this forum, do not live close enough to each other’s houses, so that we could easily get together regularly for rifle practice and meaningful conversations.

Your Friend,
Paul in Alaska.

I inquired at a retailer this week regarding new Merkel's.

Was told the wait time is 12-18 months for delivery and it would cost around $22,000-$25,000 Canadian.

Which is pretty crazy considering the last time I saw a new Merkel 500 listed in stock (2022) it was listed for less than $9000 Canadian.

I inquired at a retailer this week regarding new Merkel's.

Was told the wait time is 12-18 months for delivery and it would cost around $22,000-$25,000 Canadian.

Which is pretty crazy considering the last time I saw a new Merkel 500 listed in stock (2022) it was listed for less than $9000 Canadian.
Have you read ANY of the previous posts on new vs used? Pony up the cash or quit your complaining.

Top quality doubles are anywhere from one to six years wait. If you want to live now, make sure you have the money and keep your eyes glued to the used market.

The OP had a good point, I've never considered ..
If everything's equal from a mfr, ie: "Would a 500 cost slightly more than a 470"?

I wouldn't necessarily think so, but idk
Many Thanks!

The OP had a good point, I've never considered ..
If everything's equal from a mfr, ie: "Would a 500 cost slightly more than a 470"?

I wouldn't necessarily think so, but idk
Many Thanks!
No they will likely be the same price as actions / barrels very similar size. When you move up to 577 and 600 they are much bigger and consequently more expensive .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riddle

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25