2020 Hunting Bows: No Bad or Easy Choices

I don't bow hunt that much, but hopefully that will change when I retire. I have a 13 year old Mathews Switchback XT and took a P&Y elk and also a whitetail with it on my very first archery hunt in 2007. I see no reason to upgrade equipment at this time.

That Mathews Switchback is an iconic bow. I had one for many years and handed it down to my nephew. It remains to this date as arguably the smoothest drawing, most forgiving, and quietest bow of all time.

I shoot a Bowtech carbon Icon from a few years ago. My bow Shopping experience made me realize that most bows of a similar price point are very good. There will always be small tweaking to get any bow to shoot just right for each person.
Swapping the cams from the comfort to performance setting was a big difference. I’m a 5 pin sight user.

Tell me if I’m wrong, but it doesn’t seem that bow technology is improving much. I think they are so good already that there isn’t much new that will change things.

The Switchback XT is the "57 Chevy" of bows.

I love me some whisker biscuits myself but we are talking about archery equipment here. on a bow I like a drop away rest if nothing but to ease my mind that nothing is touching my arrow fletching on a long poke at the Mule deer of a lifetime in the high desert of AZ.
I agree with everyone’s love of the switchback, it was the favorite bow I’ve ever owned and accounted for a lot of elk meat in my freezer. Without an archery tag in my pocket, I stay out of the bow shops because I know that a new model will replace my Heli-m if I walk through the doors. I often think about having a nice recurve built just because. Maybe my next good elk tag will push me over the edge.
Glad you found a new bow Dan, I wish you the most successful season this year and that your arrows fly straight and true!

I love me some whisker biscuits myself but we are talking about archery equipment here. on a bow I like a drop away rest if nothing but to ease my mind that nothing is touching my arrow fletching on a long poke at the Mule deer of a lifetime in the high desert of AZ.
I agree with everyone’s love of the switchback, it was the favorite bow I’ve ever owned and accounted for a lot of elk meat in my freezer. Without an archery tag in my pocket, I stay out of the bow shops because I know that a new model will replace my Heli-m if I walk through the doors. I often think about having a nice recurve built just because. Maybe my next good elk tag will push me over the edge.
Glad you found a new bow Dan, I wish you the most successful season this year and that your arrows fly straight and true!
Thanks Cody! You too :) I agree with you, bow shops are just like gun shops. Can’t walk out without dropping a bunch of coin!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg