1885 Safari single shot rifle

Forrest Halley

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
In another thread I came across a gentleman who had an 1885 High Wall in .35 Whelan. This got me thinking about one in .375 H&H. Winchester apparently made one in very limited numbers. A search of the interwebs comes up sparse with everything sold and none for sale. Does anyone know anything more about them?

In another thread I came across a gentleman who had an 1885 High Wall in .35 Whelan. This got me thinking about one in .375 H&H. Winchester apparently made one in very limited numbers. A search of the interwebs comes up sparse with everything sold and none for sale. Does anyone know anything more about them?
I'm really not the one who should ask this, but I will, why would you be interested in one? Kind of interesting though?

Had one in .375 H&H a couple of years ago. Well built rifle with great fit and finish. Reasonably accurate but very muzzle heavy. Better suited for bench shooting.

1885 High Wall in .35 Whelan. This got me thinking about one in .375 H&H
Why in the world would you waste the metal on a 375?

DSC06034-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I said I was curious about this rifle in .375 H&H.
2. I do not meet the requirements for ownership of the B&M series.
Yep..... Even curious about 375 puts you in a really poor light...................
3. They should've all been 16" barrels.
Single shots are amazing pieces of machinery. Actions are short of course. A 20 inch 1885 is the same as a 16-17 inch bolt gun, WSM gun. 24 inch 1885 is the same length as a 20 inch WSM gun.....

Yep..... Even curious about 375 puts you in a really poor light...................

Single shots are amazing pieces of machinery. Actions are short of course. A 20 inch 1885 is the same as a 16-17 inch bolt gun, WSM gun. 24 inch 1885 is the same length as a 20 inch WSM gun.....
Yep I'm poorly lit alright. I have only a .458 Lott in my clinging to manhood. Three .375's which make the slope slippery indeed.
I'm saying that the 16" single shot is the shortest one can possibly go in the US without getting into tax stamps. If the B&M is so great out of a short barrel...why not make it as short as possible?

If the B&M is so great out of a short barrel...why not make it as short as possible?
Well, there is no "IF" to that concern. The reason I went with 20-24 inches with the 1885s is MOSTLY Aesthetic value. I despise the long stock mannlicher look. In the case of 458 and 416 1885s I also wanted to look at the barrel length to see what the gains were in comparison to 18-20 inch barrels. 50 B&M there is no gains at 20 inches over 18 inches, I have plenty of data on that. But as the bore gets smaller, you start to loose inside cubic inches to burn that powder, so 458 and 416 is not as efficient as .500 caliber, easy logic, and backed up with data. Simply less inside cubic inches. I would not desire longer than 24 inches with 1885 or Ruger #1. In fact, 20 inches most of the time is pretty good, but the forearms of the 1885s are longer than the Ruger #1, so 22-24 looks about right. I don't want a piece of stock right up to the muzzle, that is not appealing to me.

After careful measurements on this 1885 I requested a 21 inch barrel, since the forearm on this gun was rather long. This gun was built at the same time as the Ruger #1 in 50 B&M Alaskan, the shorter forearm of the Ruger allowed me to go with a 20 inch barrel to look proportional.

DSCN2559-X4.jpg
DSCN2570-X3.jpg
DSCN2572-X3.jpg
DSCN2575-X3.jpg

B4951BBD-F520-4D7B-97B4-C74D4B26DC48.jpeg

Ballard Arms made a few safari style 1885s when they were in business. I believe this one was a .450-400. I was going to order one like this before they went under. Lately I have been thinking of having a 9.3x74 built on a C. Sharps Arms or Montana Vintage Arms 1885 action, but it would likely be along these lines. Long story short, I can understand where you are coming from with the .375.

28" barrel, auto cocking, left or right eject... interesting indeed.
@Forrest Halley
You forgot mate and down right class plus the same length or shorter than a bolt gun even with a 28 inch barrel.
You could always get a hiwall and barrel it to 375.
Bob

@michael458 Don't be so mean to young Forrest he can't help it if he hasn't got taste in calibers but he has nice tastes in the hiwall and a beautiful wife and son.
Just a pity I haven't educated him on the Whelen.
Bob

Yep I'm poorly lit alright. I have only a .458 Lott in my clinging to manhood. Three .375's which make the slope slippery indeed.
I'm saying that the 16" single shot is the shortest one can possibly go in the US without getting into tax stamps. If the B&M is so great out of a short barrel...why not make it as short as possible?
@Forrest Halley
That's when you look the best mate in poor light. You look even better in the dark with no light.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.