1885 Safari single shot rifle

@Forrest Halley
The 1885 low and Hiwalls aren't odd. The are a good example of superb simplicity, exceptional functionality and sheer beauty. A bit like the qualities of an @Von Gruff knife.
Bob
I had a Highwall in 45/70 once. These rifles are made by Moroku in Japan, just like the fairly recent Browning single shots were made. The fit and finish is superb. However the actions are made somewhat differently than the original 1895 rifles from John Browning were made. Not sure if that's good or bad, but just the facts.
It seems to me that the straight stock is not very good for recoil absorption, but they do have a classic look to them. However, to me, the Ruger wins hands down in looks and design.

Did SSK build all of the rifles you've posted on this thread?
Yes, with the exception of the Ruger #1 Stainless 35 Whelen. I can't remember when Ruger came out with that exactly, but I had to have one, you see I am a .358 fan, and have and have had a few Whelens, still have brass and such to this day. Had great visions for the #1, but after several years of it sitting in the cabinet and never being fired, I decided to let it go. Probably should have kept it. .358 is a wonderful medium caliber.

dscn5347-x3-jpg.419147

I have another Winchester 1885 in 45/70 here and a couple of Uberti's that I am very fond of, will have to get some photos of those.

Yes, with the exception of the Ruger #1 Stainless 35 Whelen. I can't remember when Ruger came out with that exactly, but I had to have one, you see I am a .358 fan, and have and have had a few Whelens, still have brass and such to this day. Had great visions for the #1, but after several years of it sitting in the cabinet and never being fired, I decided to let it go. Probably should have kept it. .358 is a wonderful medium caliber.

dscn5347-x3-jpg.419147

I have another Winchester 1885 in 45/70 here and a couple of Uberti's that I am very fond of, will have to get some photos of those.
I've had a few 358 caliber rifles as well. Somehow I've just never had one stick. The Ruger 77 I had was plagued with excessive headspace and would misfire on new brass. Once fireformed it would do just fine. Unfortunately I tried to keep shooting the same cartridge again and again to see if it would finally shoot, and the primer blew due to the firing pin hitting it so many times. This caused flame cutting around the firing pin hole in the bolt, so it had to go.
I also had a Savage 99 358 Winchester. It was in really good condition, and had likely not been fired. But somehow I just couldn't warm up to the rifle itself, and never really shot it much, so I sold it.
Then I've had several Marlin 336 35 Remington rifles. They were fun to hunt with, but I found them to be a little slow with the 200gr bullets, which caused slow killing effect on Whitetails.
One 358 I'd like to have is a 350 Rem Mag in a short carbine rifle. Would prefer a Winchester 70 over the Remington it was originally built in. That would make a handy little bear rifle for sure.

As a medium, I always loved .358 caliber. I have had several Winchester M70s in 358 Winchester, 35 Whelen, 358 STA and 358 RUM. Today I still maintain only two M70s one of the 358 STA's I used in Africa in the early 2000s for 40+ head of plains game up to eland. I have a 358 RUM that is a big dog of 358s. But those are stories for another day, one I would love to discuss, not here and not hi jacking Forrest's thread.

OK @Forrest Halley , you want a .375 1885? How about a .377 1885? Will that do? I have to admit, this is as close as I come to that...... and ever will...........

DSCN2581-X4.jpg
DSCN2590-X3.jpg
DSCN2597-X4.jpg
DSCN2599-X3.jpg
DSCN2602-X2.jpg
DSCN2603-X4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As a medium, I always loved .358 caliber. I have had several Winchester M70s in 358 Winchester, 35 Whelen, 358 STA and 358 RUM. Today I still maintain only two M70s one of the 358 STA's I used in Africa in the early 2000s for 40+ head of plains game up to eland. I have a 358 RUM that is a big dog of 358s. But those are stories for another day, one I would love to discuss, not here and not hi jacking Forrest's thread.

OK @Forrest Halley , you want a .375 1885? How about a .377 1885? Will that do? I have to admit, this is as close as I come to that...... and ever will...........

View attachment 419422View attachment 419423View attachment 419424View attachment 419425View attachment 419426View attachment 419427
I believe these are actually made more like the original 1885s than the newer Winchesters are. How does it shoot?
And while we're discussing this....other than the fact that everyone has one, and most people who own one thinks it's a big rifle, why do you hate the 375 so much?

I did a little shooting today, with my Ruger No1 300 H&H. Only 75 yards, but man is this rifle easy to shoot, and looks to be very accurate. This was a Sierra Game King 165gr with 70gr RL19. First load I tried in this rifle. I only had 3 rounds loaded, so I moved the scope after the group was fired. Back to the loading bench, for another 20 of these loads to try at longer distances!

20210821_102708.jpg

I believe these are actually made more like the original 1885s than the newer Winchesters are. How does it shoot?
Toby, the Uberti's very well may be more original. The mechanics of such is beyond my base of knowledge. What I can tell you is this, operationally. When the lever drops and goes back up on the Uberti's the hammer goes down into a safety position, not resting on the firing pin, and not fully cocked. Of course, do the same with the current Winchesters, the hammer is fully cocked. I like the way the Uberti's function in that aspect.

Shoot? Way the hell better than I can shoot them...... Back in the day, when I could see better, they would be one hole at 50 yards with irons.........

And while we're discussing this....other than the fact that everyone has one, and most people who own one thinks it's a big rifle, why do you hate the 375 so much?
That is a very long story, and has many components. On the short note, I do not consider it a big bore, its a large medium. I do not consider it buffalo worthy, you don't reach that point until you hit 458 caliber. Yes, you can kill things with it, but I can kill stuff with 358, 338 and even 223 as well, that don't make it adequate. Many green inexperienced shooters thinks and believes 375 is the end all to anything......Its for inexperienced shooters that won't put in the time to learn how to shoot larger calibers. I have seen 375 in action, its not very impressive at all.......not when it comes to buffalo, hippo and or elephant. Excellent on rats and such however.........Sorry all 375 fans, I am sure I am not making friends with these comments. But it is what it is..........

Toby, the Uberti's very well may be more original. The mechanics of such is beyond my base of knowledge. What I can tell you is this, operationally. When the lever drops and goes back up on the Uberti's the hammer goes down into a safety position, not resting on the firing pin, and not fully cocked. Of course, do the same with the current Winchesters, the hammer is fully cocked. I like the way the Uberti's function in that aspect.

Shoot? Way the hell better than I can shoot them...... Back in the day, when I could see better, they would be one hole at 50 yards with irons.........

That is a very long story, and has many components. On the short note, I do not consider it a big bore, its a large medium. I do not consider it buffalo worthy, you don't reach that point until you hit 458 caliber. Yes, you can kill things with it, but I can kill stuff with 358, 338 and even 223 as well, that don't make it adequate. Many green inexperienced shooters thinks and believes 375 is the end all to anything......Its for inexperienced shooters that won't put in the time to learn how to shoot larger calibers. I have seen 375 in action, its not very impressive at all.......not when it comes to buffalo, hippo and or elephant. Excellent on rats and such however.........Sorry all 375 fans, I am sure I am not making friends with these comments. But it is what it is..........
So if it's your opinion that Buffalo rifles begin at 458, where does the 416 fit in?

So if it's your opinion that Buffalo rifles begin at 458, where does the 416 fit in?
416 is fantastic thin skinned dangerous game..........or a beginning anyway........

What did you do with it? I'd like to shoot one in comparison with a Ruger #1.
I sold it and purchase a model 70 safari express also in .375. Better handling and faster second shots. The Ruger no.1 is better balanced but some so have accuracy problems with vertical strings. I had one like that and after trying several fixes I moved it on down the road.

My wife bought this one for me for birthday many years ago...........

DSCN2608-X4.jpg
DSCN2619-X3.jpg
DSCN2624-X4.jpg

Very nice! Like you, I'd be leery of the steel buttplate and heavy loads.
I have thought about sorting that steel buttplate out many times. Figure one could cut the stock off square, and then cut the metal finger at the top, and keep it in so you don't have a missing chunk at the top, then add a nice recoil pad....... I don't know, maybe that can be done, and maybe that make it more shootable for me anyway.......???

I looked on Gunbroker this weekend for Uberti 1885s, not many, found one drop dead gorgeous rifle in 45-90..... I mean it is NICE........ it also has that same steel buttplate........

I notice you use the XS Peepsites. I have one I use on one my bolt guns with weaver style bases
Indeed, used those things for many many years in one configuration or another. On a few of my Hi Grade M71s I had Brian at SSK build a bridge of sorts across the top of the frame over the bolt, and was able to mount a XS Ghost ring on top of that. It works great, looks great. And have various other setups on other rifles.

Both of my Uberti's I used the Williams, which has served extremely well on those guns........

I had this gun in Alaska in 2000 for moose and wolf. After 3 days of Alaska Rain, it was rusted all to hell. Rust oozing out the bore as well. My hunting partner saw it and become excited about how I needed to clean that bore out. No worries, it will clean out when you shoot it....... LOL.... And of course it did. But after a few more days, it was rusted up again........ After getting home I was so sick of shooting, loading, and hunting, the rifle went in the rack for 6 months or longer, untouched, uncleaned. Finally I decided to scrub it down. Seems it didn't hurt it too much.........

DSCN2626-X4.jpg
DSCN2633-X3.jpg
DSCN2642-X4.jpg
DSCN2644-X3.jpg

I think that about covers all my 1885s........... I still have a few Ruger #1s but this is not a #1 Thread.........

I have thought about sorting that steel buttplate out many times. Figure one could cut the stock off square, and then cut the metal finger at the top, and keep it in so you don't have a missing chunk at the top, then add a nice recoil pad....... I don't know, maybe that can be done, and maybe that make it more shootable for me anyway.......???

I looked on Gunbroker this weekend for Uberti 1885s, not many, found one drop dead gorgeous rifle in 45-90..... I mean it is NICE........ it also has that same steel buttplate........

Indeed, used those things for many many years in one configuration or another. On a few of my Hi Grade M71s I had Brian at SSK build a bridge of sorts across the top of the frame over the bolt, and was able to mount a XS Ghost ring on top of that. It works great, looks great. And have various other setups on other rifles.

Both of my Uberti's I used the Williams, which has served extremely well on those guns........

I had this gun in Alaska in 2000 for moose and wolf. After 3 days of Alaska Rain, it was rusted all to hell. Rust oozing out the bore as well. My hunting partner saw it and become excited about how I needed to clean that bore out. No worries, it will clean out when you shoot it....... LOL.... And of course it did. But after a few more days, it was rusted up again........ After getting home I was so sick of shooting, loading, and hunting, the rifle went in the rack for 6 months or longer, untouched, uncleaned. Finally I decided to scrub it down. Seems it didn't hurt it too much.........

View attachment 419657View attachment 419658View attachment 419659View attachment 419660

I think that about covers all my 1885s........... I still have a few Ruger #1s but this is not a #1 Thread.........
Did you get a moose or wolf?

DSCN2626-X4.jpg

DSCN2633-X3.jpg

DSCN2642-X4.jpg

DSCN2644-X3.jpg

I took a look at the one on Gunbroker. It's a 45/120 and definitely a beauty!

Did you get a moose or wolf?
Yes, both...........Damn big fun too........ Moose was a hoot, I love/hate Alaska. After 3 days chasing a big moose, I am sick of this crap, rain/cold, moose shows up, I tell guide we are shooting this moose, End of story. Iron sights, I don't see well in the brush, so moose is trotting by about 25-30 yards, I shoot, my guide thinks I shot him in the ass, but what happened I hit a 3 inch diameter tree 5-6 yards in front of the moose, blew out chunks of wood on the moose's rear end....... Running after the moose, reloading on the way, moose stops I hit him again broadside shoulder..... Moose turns, goes down. After we did the skinning, found both bullets 2 inches apart on the hide far side shoulder. One did not have its jacket. Shooting 350 Hornady back in those days, 2128 fps in that gun with RL 7. I went back to the scene, cut out the section of tree out that the bullet penetrated, brought it home and have it here to this day. I shoot lots of trees when I was in the field...... If possible I collect them. That Hornady did its job, shed its jacket and went like a laser to where it was aimed, slowed the moose down enough for me to run him down.......... That was 20 years ago, I could run faster............LOL.......

MM%20Moose%2010_2000-1-X3.jpg

I took a look at the one on Gunbroker. It's a 45/120 and definitely a beauty!
Oh yes, I looked again this morning too................ That is a nice nice looking rifle............very tempting..............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg