10's & 12 3.5"

Daniel Cary

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I had an obsession, really young & still look occasionally for "American Arms Turkey SXS 10".
12ga 3.5's seemed to be as effective & 10's started to become extinct. Generally speaking, 3.5's seem to be limited over decades past. And the ones available .. Camo?

Just curious, anyone's thought's that use heavy payload in hunting. Do 3.5" 12's do just as well as 10's, etc. Many Thanks.

1713813847559.png

I used to hunt turkeys with an old H&R 10 gauge I also shot a few ducks and deer with it, it killed on both ends. When the 3.5 12 gauge came out I bought one of the first run Browning Citoris and it is still killing stuff today, with the advent of the new non toxic shot the 3.5 is probably not needed for the average duck hunt but I still use the 3.5 for geese and cranes. Maybe it’s not needed but it’s a confidence thing.
To answer the question I think the 12 is just a hair under the 10 especially with 54 pellets of 3.5 #4 buckshot in the 10, works really well for close in work on whitetail and for the African guys that like a shotgun for following up wounded leopard in the thick stuff a heavier load of buckshot might just be the ticket.

I don't know anything about 10 gauges. However, I wonder if the 3.5 12 guages have the shot stringing issues that 3" 20 gauges have?

I've wanted a SXS 16 gauge. The 16 guages disappeared with the advent of the 3" 20 gauge, but my belief is that a 16 gauge will still pattern better and not have the stringing issues that a 20 has

I had an obsession, really young & still look occasionally for "American Arms Turkey SXS 10".
12ga 3.5's seemed to be as effective & 10's started to become extinct. Generally speaking, 3.5's seem to be limited over decades past. And the ones available .. Camo?

Just curious, anyone's thought's that use heavy payload in hunting. Do 3.5" 12's do just as well as 10's, etc. Many Thanks.

View attachment 600999
I thought this was for sale I am very disappointed now. Talk to the guys at apex they can to an almost 3 oz load for a 10ga in 7.5#. They don’t make it because most people aren’t man enough to shoot it at turkeys.

Also I shot a single shot 10ga for years at turkey it was fantastic and I would love to go back to one.

Only stopped because it was breaking itself under recoil

I received an Ithaca Mag-10 for my 16th birthday and still shoot it. Have never bought 3.5” 12 shells. I have since figured 3 barrels are better than one or two . . .

IMG_7003.jpeg
IMG_7004.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The theory is that the larger bore diameter of the 10 makes patterning of large shot sizes easier. The reality is that all shotguns are a law unto themselves, and the only real truth is found at the patterning board. It’s also worth mentioning that the 12 3.5 has a significantly higher operating pressure than the 10, 14000 psi vs 11000 psi. I had a Browning BPS 10 gauge turkey gun that I liked a great deal, but eventually sold it because of the greater versatility and convenience of the 12.

Like @Hunt anything, I to started out turkey hunting with a 10ga M176. Heavy as heck but kicked like a mule. Took a couple of turkeys with it and some waterfowl.
After that I acquired a Mossburg 835 when they first came out. I’ve taken six turkeys with it. However, over the past few years, I’ve switched from 3.5” to 3”.
The 10ga may have had a little more reach but for turkeys, the thrill is getting them close.

The 10 bore is slowly dying from 2 major factors and a few more minor ones. First is the 3.5" 12 bore shell, second is the advent of modern & more dense shot materials like TSS. The minor issues are recoil, price & availability. But to be honest, recoil is killing the 3.5" 12 bore shells as well.

As for the patterns. The 10 bore my friend had shot patterns like crap with modern turkey loads compared to his much newer Browning Maxus. This lead to him selling it and the end of my 10 bore experience in pattern testing. He had taken several turkey with the single shot 10, but the way his new 12 kills them is WAY more impressive. Dumping turkey at 50 yards with ease.

I suspect that a modern 10 bore shotgun with TSS loads would shoot patterns similar to a 12 bore with similar ammo...but what would be the upside? Shells are more expensive & harder to find. Not to mention getting a turkey choke to be rated for TSS is that particular shotgun.

Today the trend seems to be going smaller. I see turkey hunters using 20, 28 and 410's with high performance TSS loads to take birds at ranges thought impossible just 5 years ago. I've spotted goose and duck hunters using 20 bores now. Hell, even Benelli offers a SBE3 Waterfowl Performance Shop Edition in 20 & 28 bore for those looking to minimize the recoil and test their skills.

We all want bigger. Bigger is better...right? This may have been true in years gone by, but things have changed since the advent of the 10 bore 3.5" magnum of 1932. Not sure what the future holds for it but it could be going the way of CRF rifles with not too many companies having offerings due to low demand. I hope you are able to find the SxS in 10 bore 3.5" you are looking for.

EDIT - A quick look on GB doesn't show much in the way of what I would consider "modern" 10 bore shotguns. Anything you pick up may need to be proofed for the loads you intend to run. Steel wasn't being used regularly before the 1990's and TSS only became popular in the 20-teens.

Last edited:
I spent two years playing with TSS out of my BPS 10. It didn't take long to realize carrying around a 10# shotgun that gave you migraines when shooting it was foolish. I have rethought my shotgun needs. 20 gauge and .410 with tungsten fulfill all my shotgun needs

IMG_7088.jpeg
IMG_6871.jpeg

I don’t have any complaints about 3.5’s from a 12 gauge, steel or otherwise. I had a 10 gauge BPS a long time ago and it was expensive to feed and heavy to boot.
I use a different set up for turkeys but still can’t justify a 10’guage for that either. If I had that side by side I would definitely use it for gobblers though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rkcipl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.