10mm auto new pistol which one?

@RTG, there's a bunch of info out there on the web about the P320 having "uncommanded discharge" or accidental discharge issues. Any thoughts?

The US Army and Marine Corps didn't find any issue of 'uncommanded discharge'. Either did Canada. Either did Australia. Country after country is turning to the P320 for military service and in each case the weapons are tested thousands of times more harshly than the Milwaukee PD ever dreamed of.

I remember when glock's came around in the early 80's, same thing was said about them. Issued to Dallas PD, then withdrawn due to officers reporting that the guns just go off. Turned out not to be the guns, but the operators. PD later went back to Glock.

The P320 trigger is the lightest striker fire system I have used. Any bad fundementals of a Glock user can go badly with a P320.

Another thing to consider when you are on a back country adventure with the potential of bears coming through the alders is how will you carry that 10mm. Currently I am working with a Springfield XDm Elite in 10mm. I like how I shoot the gun, however, finding an appropriate holster has been an issue. After several purchases and returns I am using a Razco Chest Rig that can fit to my Kuiu Pro Bino Holders and my Marsupial Fishing pack.

Some of the questions I have worked through are the following:

1. Do I carry the pistol on my hip belt of my pack? If I do that what happens when I set my pack down and it is two steps away?

2. Do I carry the pistol in a strong side holster? If I do that how will I access it when I am wearing my Pack? This issue is the same for an appendix carry.

3. Do I carry the pistol on a chest rig? If I do that how does it interface with chest mounted bino holders?

Yes, lots of things to consider. It has been a fun journey solving this problem.

Further thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.
I am a novice at hunting bear country. I bought a chest rig for my .45 for the AK hunt I went on last year. I use the Rick Young ultralight bino harness so I didnt have the issues one would have with the big bino pouches.
A lot to consider.

The US Army and Marine Corps didn't find any issue of 'uncommanded discharge'. Either did Canada. Either did Australia. Country after country is turning to the P320 for military service and in each case the weapons are tested thousands of times more harshly than the Milwaukee PD ever dreamed of.

I remember when glock's came around in the early 80's, same thing was said about them. Issued to Dallas PD, then withdrawn due to officers reporting that the guns just go off. Turned out not to be the guns, but the operators. PD later went back to Glock.

The P320 trigger is the lightest striker fire system I have used. Any bad fundementals of a Glock user can go badly with a P320.
Yeah, they "just go off" WHEN the operator has his/hers finger on the trigger, usually when holstering or drawing. In my bygone career, we had a couple deputies/recruits (including a range officer) shoot themselves in the leg when holstering with the Glock 22/23. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER! You can't teach STUPID!

Last edited:
Philip;
For that purpose it would be hard to do better than a Glock. If it were me I'd think seriously about the Glock 20 for high capacity, ease of shooting, and ease of carrying vs the Glock 40.
I’ve got both a 20 and 29, and have shot the 40 a bunch. For me it’s a toss-up between the 20 and 29. In bear country I don’t need the longer sight radius of the 40. I prefer shooting the 20 but I’d likely go with the smaller 29 for weight reasons, especially if @Philip Glass has sheep or goats on the menu.

My personal favorite 10mm is the Springfield TRP Operator, but the Sig 220 Legions definitely have my eye.

I’ve got both a 20 and 29, and have shot the 40 a bunch. For me it’s a toss-up between the 20 and 29. In bear country I don’t need the longer sight radius of the 40. I prefer shooting the 20 but I’d likely go with the smaller 29 for weight reasons, especially if @Philip Glass has sheep or goats on the menu.

My personal favorite 10mm is the Springfield TRP Operator, but the Sig 220 Legions definitely have my eye.
Yes sheep will be top of the list on my next AK hunt so weight is an issue. Thanks for your recommendations.

What about Springfield XD Elite? It is the same size as the Glock 29 it looks like. Super cool looking!

Yeah, they "just go off" WHEN the operator has his/hers finger on the trigger, usually when holstering or drawing. In my bygone career, we had a couple deputies/recruits (including a range officer) shoot themselves in the leg when holstering with the Glock 22/23. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER! You can't teach STUPID!

"keep your booger hook off the bang switch"

I am by no means a pistol expert. I do own a few automatics, both striker fire and SA/DA. I prefer a pistol with a thumb safety or a grip safety and have never quite understood the logic for those that advocate no safety other than the trigger.

The rationale for "the gun doesn't go bang, unless the trigger is pulled" is valid. However, the same can be said for a bolt action rifle and I don't think any of use would walk around the woods with a round in the chamber of a rifle, without the safety on.

I watched a video recently from Lenny Magill, the Glock Store guy. Interestingly, he personally conceals carries his Glock with an empty chamber. His logic is based on most concealed carry threats don't require a quick draw and fire. The need is to safely carry and have it available for a condition you can control.

I am by no means a pistol expert. I do own a few automatics, both striker fire and SA/DA. I prefer a pistol with a thumb safety or a grip safety and have never quite understood the logic for those that advocate no safety other than the trigger.

The rationale for "the gun doesn't go bang, unless the trigger is pulled" is valid. However, the same can be said for a bolt action rifle and I don't think any of use would walk around the woods with a round in the chamber of a rifle, without the safety on.

I watched a video recently from Lenny Magill, the Glock Store guy. Interestingly, he personally conceals carries his Glock with an empty chamber. His logic is based on most concealed carry threats don't require a quick draw and fire. The need is to safely carry and have it available for a condition you can control.

The M17 safety is great IMO. It's exactly where a 1911 shooter would expect it to be, I do wish more P320s offered it as an option.

Doesn't matter the pistol, when i draw, my thump sweeps the safety down whether there is a safety or not.

What about Springfield XD Elite? It is the same size as the Glock 29 it looks like. Super cool looking!
I went with the Springfield XDm Elite OSP. With 15 rounds it is lighter/the same weight as my S&W M69 44 mag which only carries 5 rounds. However, the main reason I switched was because I can make accurate shots faster with the XDm. I also picked up a 9mm version of the same XDm for practice and carry. Now I've got the same basic package everyday whether I'm in the city or in the mountains.

Interesting video. My only concern with carrying in condition 3, is if one “short strokes” the slide upon drawing, you now have no round in the chamber. With the average CCW person, this could be an issue. A lot of practice could overcome this potential problem, but how many WOULD practice this technique on a consistent basis?

Interesting video. My only concern with carrying in condition 3, is if one “short strokes” the slide upon drawing, you now have no round in the chamber. With the average CCW person, this could be an issue. A lot of practice could overcome this potential problem, but how many WOULD practice this technique on a consistent basis?
It is more than that, have told countless people not to use a 1911 for CCW. To much to remember, to many steps to mess up. I understand what he is getting at, most people will not train to that level, doomed for failure IMHO. I think he has been in Cali too long.

I can’t comment as I’ve never fired it personally, but I know someone I can ask who should be able to give a frame of reference to the Glock 20 and 40 possibly even a 29.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 7.17.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 7.17.30 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 7.17.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 7.17.31 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 7.17.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 7.17.33 AM.png
    707.6 KB · Views: 56
I had alot of them but I tell you what the Glock 40 MOS is the way to go..6" longslide plus I added the 7" kkm barrel ..Trijicon Dual red dot (no batteries!).. snap on light for night Zombies..also have a Galco shoulder rig with dual pouch so that's 46 rounds enough to stop a Zombie Apocalypse! Reliable as they come and light even loaded!!
Also affordable !!!
Below is pics of 2 I did...

20221105_192636.jpg
20221105_190629.jpg
20210307_222622.jpg
20220730_065931.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I am out hunting, especially in bear country, I carry my Glock 29 10mm with Underwood ammo and it is in a Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest holster.

I'd just as druther carry a rifle as an X-frame Smith.
(pining for my BLR .358)

I fly fish a lot in SW Alaska. During a typical week, I estimate we see between 25 - 50 bears, sometimes quite up close. I was on one side of a small stream with my son on the other side when a bear popped out of the grass about 5 feet from my son. I yelled at the bear and it ran away but that was really close. In my life up here, I've fired a firearm 3x to scare away nosy/curious bears. I know that for self defense against people, there are a whole host of reasons to not fire warning shots but its a bit different with bears. For one, every warning shot has been literally in the middle of nowhere with no people who would be hit.

I carry a Springfield XDM in 10mm. I've had Glocks and I like Glocks but unless you get a Glock 40, you have to drill it to accept red dots, and the Glock 40 is just too long for me. I put a HoloSun on my Springfield and I use the large circle, not the red dot. The HoloSun comes on upon being withdrawn and I find the circle is easier to acquire and use in speed drills. I use the Kenai chest holster so my firearm is generally immediately available. The only item that goes over my chest holster is my rain jacket so I can get to my pistol easily. I just picked up a Sig 320 in 10mm but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. If I like it better than the Springfield, I'll throw the Holosun on it.

I know there are lots of people who recommend using large pistols or shotguns with slugs or rifles as bear guns but each of them have some real downsides. I acquired a S&W .460. It was a cannon. But it was extremely heavy, unwieldy, and the cost to shoot it was tremendous. Plus, I injured my hand a number of years ago in a car accident. More than about 15 rounds with that thing and my hand would just start to ache. Put all of those together and it means that I know I'm not going to practice like I should. Further, comparing the 10mm to the .44 mag shows that in time drills, the average shooter can fire the 10mm about 5-6 times in 5 seconds but 2-3 times in the .44. Yes, the .44 has more penetration. But I'll take 2x the shots at the cost of 10% of the penetration.

Rifles and shotguns are certainly preferred to a handgun but you ever try to fly cast with a shotgun strapped to your back? It affects my cast. Which means I'll take it off. WHich means it will be on the ground 25 feet away when I need it. There are numerous stories in this state of guys who put down their rifles to cut up a moose or some other task and then had a bear attack.

There isn't really a right or wrong answer to this question. My biggest issue with the 1911 is that there are very few double stacks so the capacity is only about 8-9 rounds when it could be 15. Rock Island Armory makes a double stack but they are in high demand. Also, putting a red dot on a 1911 can be done but the 1911 certainly was not made with red dots in mind. I have a couple of 1911s in 10mm and they are fun to shoot but I don't think I would make them my EDC even in bear country.

That's my 2¢ worth. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross