10mm auto new pistol which one?

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I am wanting to purchase a new 10mm pistol. Would you buy a Glock 20 or a Colt Delta Elite? Any other recommendations?

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Have fired the Colt Delta Elite and Glock.
If I was in the market for a 10 mm auto-pistol, I’d buy the Sig P220, all steel, 5” barrel and slide.
The full sized Sig is a bit heavier than the Glock and the Colt, therefore, I’d prefer it over those two.
(Also, I strongly dislike the “squishy” feel of all Glock triggers that I have tried, in any caliber).

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
I've been watching for a 10mm for a while now but other gun purchases keep getting in the way;)

I am pretty sure when I do pull the trigger, it will be a 1911 style. So although I do know Glocks to be very fine weapons, of those two I would have to go with the Colt.

Personally I've mostly been drooling over a Dan Wesson, just can't decide if a long slide or more standard length, they do several versions in a 10mm.

And now the Ruger SR1911 5" 10mm has caught my eye. Handled one and seemed really decent, especially for the price. And as I have a Ruger collection well on it's way, that is another reason for me to like it. Decisions decisions :)

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Depending on what your intended purpose of the handgun is, if you need the extra capacity, glock. Also which fits your hand better? The glock is pretty bulky and some folks with smaller paws tend to not like the grip fit. Try them both out, both are good guns and the 10 is a good round.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Hickok45 has a video on both the Glock 20 and the Colt Delta Elite:

Dirtdart

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member SCI, Benefactor NRA, NMLRA.
Hunted
RSA, Namibia
I am wanting to purchase a new 10mm pistol. Would you buy a Glock 20 or a Colt Delta Elite? Any other recommendations?
I would also recommend taking a look at the EAA Witness in 10mm. It comes in many different configurations depending on your intended purpose. Most of my 10mm experience is in the Glock 20 platform and I like it because of the capacity. No matter which type you decide go with single action, striker fired, or double single I would order a spring tune kit from Wolf. Go with Underwood ammo if you want to shoot that cartridge to its full potential.

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Take the Glock over the Colt because the Colt does not have a fully supported chamber.

Personally, to me the Colt is twice the gun, easily, but that its chamber is not fully supported means that you'll not be able to shoot the really hot stuff (Underwood Ammo even mentions this with regard to some of their heavier loads, that it is not suitable for the Delta Elite).

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Have fired the Colt Delta Elite and Glock.
If I was in the market for a 10 mm auto-pistol, I’d buy the Sig P220, all steel, 5” barrel and slide.
The full sized Sig is a bit heavier than the Glock and the Colt, therefore, I’d prefer it over those two.
(Also, I strongly dislike the “squishy” feel of all Glock triggers that I have tried, in any caliber).

Agreed regarding the Glock trigger (and the Sig).

Which one is the right one all depends upon use...hunting, plinking, defense...all three?

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a Glock 40 Long Slide 10mm with MOS. This is the one with the slide cut out for an optical sight. This pistol shoots great.
I also have a Sig p220 match 10mm. It has no cut out for an optical sight, but it does have adjustable sights.

Both guns shoot great, but of course the Sig is a much nicer gun.

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Sig makes a 10mm for hunting. I forget the model but a friend of mine has one and it shoots great.

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
The Glock ain't gonna win any Beauty Contest.... but damn hard to beat in terms of functionality/performance!

nchungryhunter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Have hunted on the East Coast USA all my life
Next pistol that comes home with me will be a Glock 40 I'm pretty sure

charleslabounty

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, IDPA, RTBA
Hunted
US and now RSA
Maybe take a look at the new Ruger SR1911 Model 6739 (full size, 10mm).

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Glock 40

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Timely thread as I too am about to snag a 10mm. Been looking at the Colt for some time, prices continue to rise. Looked briefly at the Armscor pistols, read a lot of neg reviews, inexpensive but troublesome. Kimber, same thing only more money. Then there is the Ruger, which gets pretty good reviews and is mid priced. I don't care for Glocks, Sigs are fine guns but again, costly. But what really caught my eye is a yet to be released, ( though soon), Ruger Night Watchman, black nitride finished, Novak sighted model with faux ivory grip panels from TALO distributors. So will probably wait for that release to check costs against the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hillgibson

Latest profile posts

Cowboy wrote on MBIZI SAFARIS's profile.
Good afternoon, please send me a list of pricing for 2022. jlcatron105@gmail.com
NTH wrote on JimT's profile.
Hey Jim, I read that you’re from Dequincey and just returned from Africa. I’m from Lake Charles and went there in April. What outfitter did you use and would you share your experience and pics? I won our trip to Kuche through DU.
gprippers wrote on SAFARIKIDD's profile.
Hello! Nice rifle! I have IDENTICAL rifle in 375 H&H so i was wondering what gunsmith did the work on it? Appreciate it and if you decide there is anything you are willing to take in partial trade, let me know. I have quite a few pistols, long guns and sxs & o/u shotguns as well.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.

Thanks,
Rob
Bearhunter46 wrote on Philip Glass's profile.
Philip, do you still have the 416 for sale?
NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal