ZIMBABWE: Ngurungundu

I took one more shot at a buff bull and missed again, probably time to mount the red dot.
I am sorry to hear this Kevin. I am sure it's just a matter of adjusting to an unfamiliar platform. I bought a new shotgun and couldn't hit the inside of a tent if I was in it! I just had to get used to it. Have fun getting to know this new hunting companion :)

Really sorry you didn't get that big guy Kevin. As @Pheroze notes, familiarity is a big issue.

I flog this point all the time, and it is nothing you don't already know, but for our brief hunting opportunities, and in an era where a wounded animal is poor form, optics really are a vast improvement over irons. I also readily admit that I at least can't see irons like I could thirty years ago. Nor, the statistics tell us, can hardly anyone in our general age group. My S2 wears a telescopic sight. If it did not, it would wear a red dot.

You will nail him next time. Besides grand company, fine whiskey, and a daylight bush pig make a better week than 99.99999% of the rest of the planet could hope to ever experience. Well done.

I like the tradition of how you name your rifle, had not heard of it before your post. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Time with friends is priceless. A bush pig during the day is special. I am sure you were planning the next buff hunting trip on the way home:)

@Kevin Peacockecongrats on the new Heym double & gifting the rifle it’s name - cool! I very much enjoyed You/Friends classic or authentic approach to your hunting & camp set-up along w/ your story telling style.

Happy Trails

Proper.

Another great adventure! I’m glad you guys can get out and spend some time in the bush! I’m certain that the meat from the cow was greatly appreciated.

Great reports Kevin! Don't be shy about putting a red dot on the Heym. I absolutely love the Trijicon RMR on my double.

Wonderful reports!

There is no telling what your reports would be if that Heym would have been chambered in .470 N.E,, as it should have been.

(Just kidding)

This yank (or, more accurately, Reb) could learn a lot from you!

Go get 'em, Kev!!!

Don't shame that Heym DR by putting a red dot on it.

I'd have to take mine to a Formula 1 racing shop to make it compatible.

If it can't be done without optics, then just get a PF Remington 700 and call it a day!

Kevin, congratulations on a great hunt, maybe not the one you were hoping for, but a lot of fun, nonetheless. Out of curiosity how many shots had you fired out of your new Heym prior to going hunting with it? What kind of groups gid you get at the range? Like red Leg I need a lot of light to see and use Iron sights like I used to.

Kevin, congratulations on a great hunt, maybe not the one you were hoping for, but a lot of fun, nonetheless. Out of curiosity how many shots had you fired out of your new Heym prior to going hunting with it? What kind of groups gid you get at the range? Like red Leg I need a lot of light to see and use Iron sights like I used to.
I fired about 30 rounds at the range, all at 50 metres. The group off a rest was about 3 inches and the left and right were about an inch apart. Firing off three-legged sticks the group was a bit bigger, maybe 4 inches. Yes, I should have fired a lot more before going on a hunt, live and learn.

Thanks for sharing again. Grand adventures and great storytelling. Beautiful rifle.

Great casual, easy going report! thanks for sharing. Congrats!

That was a great story, Kevin, my congratulations :D Cheers:

Sounds like a great trip!

Thanks for the hunt report Kevin. It felt as if I were there when I read your posts.

I have a red dot on one of my DRs. Despite some naysayers or purists I don’t think there is any shame in having a red dot or a scope on DRs.

I say Bravo Kevin Peacock !
Thank you for sharing.
I always look forward to your threads and posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross