ZIMBABWE: Leopard Charge My Nightmare In Zimbabwe

Hey Phil,

Hell! I think you did right famously considering the situation. The big kitty is dead, you killed it and the guide could have been dead instead of just gnawed on.

My life long friend from Alabama and his family took me coon hunting on a visit about 50 years ago and I started running after them. I was called back by an elder WO explained t me that no matter what you hunt with a hound let the dog do it's job. He was right and will remain right till the end of time.

I like a short, lightweight 458 with a 350 jrn in the pipe at a jacked up velocity. Over 3 tons of energy and an exit hole you can throw a football into.

Phil.....you did fine.
Von
Thank you so very much for your kind words! It’s a day I relive in my mind often. Still wishing I hadn’t had the gun malfunction and I would have smashed that cat in the face with another 300 grains of hot lead. We would have had a leopard party instead of first aid and surgery for my PH.
Hope to meet you at the shows sometime.
Regards,
Philip

I’ve finally got my leopard back from Zim! Big mess ups by Coppersmith and USFWS on this deal but 2.5 years later it’s here and being tanned now. Needless to say I am using new people to do my imports now.

Regards,
Philip

Hate to hear about the delay Philip, glad it finally made it home can't wait to see the finished product.

I’ve finally got my leopard back from Zim! Big mess ups by Coppersmith and USFWS on this deal but 2.5 years later it’s here and being tanned now. Needless to say I am using new people to do my imports now.

Regards,
Philip

How’d they mess it up?

How’d they mess it up?
The person who was working on mine never filed for the CITES then up and quit the company. Then I had to file for it and USFWS sent it to the wrong address and had to start all over. Hence 2.5 years later I have my leopard. Never trust anyone!

No one over there heard of back up checklists.:rolleyes: Wow. Glad your cat is finally here.

You are a cool customer, Philip...........sounds as if you hung in there and made two pretty good shots.....glad you got your cat back from Africa...........FWB

Regards,
Philip
Glad to hear that Phillip, hope it all goes smoothly from here.

Is there such thing as long range leopard hunting ????? I feel like I would rather do that lol.

Glad everyone was ok. Wow what a scary experience. Great trophy.

I am glad your leopard finally made it! Did you ever discover a solution to the Ruger's feeding problem? I have a brown bear hunt coming up this fall and would like it make sure my Ruger performs if needed!

I am glad your leopard finally made it! Did you ever discover a solution to the Ruger's feeding problem? I have a brown bear hunt coming up this fall and would like it make sure my Ruger performs if needed!
I took it back to Hill Country Rifles and they tuned on it. It is better but I think everyone just has to remember no matter the situation to be as smooth with the bolt as possible.
I recommend working your DG rifle hard. Real hard. Rapid fire, work the bolt hard, and try to make it malfunction. Learn as much about your gun as you can brpefore going on a DG safari.
Philip

My leopard is at my taxidermist and ready to mount soon.....

A great story Philip, thank you for sharing with us, it is an adrenaline packed read! I trust the PH is doing fine in the mean time?
V.

A great story Philip, thank you for sharing with us, it is an adrenaline packed read! I trust the PH is doing fine in the mean time?
V.
Yes he is doing well. Thank you.
Philip

Were the PH’s financial concerns addressed? If his base needs have been met, I would think it would be possible to fund a double for him via a go-fund-me appeal. I would drop a $100 the first day.

Kudos to both of you for handling things so well. You got into the worst possible situation and handled it well.

I took my 375 Ruger and tried to recreate the jams described and I can't make them happen. I even "cheated" by opening the bolt then slamming it straight back as fast as possible before slamming another round in. No problem so far. Maybe I lucked out.

I took it back to Hill Country Rifles and they tuned on it. It is better but I think everyone just has to remember no matter the situation to be as smooth with the bolt as possible.
I recommend working your DG rifle hard. Real hard. Rapid fire, work the bolt hard, and try to make it malfunction. Learn as much about your gun as you can brpefore going on a DG safari.
Philip
This is excellent advice.

I was shooting buffalo with a .416 Rigby and had no problems . . . except when I needed to get a second shot away quickly. And then the bolt wouldn't return properly. It turned out that if you were moving the bold rapidly, you needed to be dead straight or the bolt would bind and stick. Well, you're hardly ever "dead straight" in a situation like that. Some tightening up was needed, and Rigby saw to it, but I should have figured it out before I needed to get that second shot away under pressure.

This is excellent advice.

I was shooting buffalo with a .416 Rigby and had no problems . . . except when I needed to get a second shot away quickly. And then the bolt wouldn't return properly. It turned out that if you were moving the bold rapidly, you needed to be dead straight or the bolt would bind and stick. Well, you're hardly ever "dead straight" in a situation like that. Some tightening up was needed, and Rigby saw to it, but I should have figured it out before I needed to get that second shot away under pressure.
Scary stuff there! You would think a Rigby would have really tight tolerances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!